Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for 1GB data unlimited talk and text

Feedback Score

Recommendations for 1GB data unlimited talk and text

I'm helping a family member living in zip code 27518 (all major carriers appear to have coverage at their home from the maps I've looked at). The person has an unlocked Motorola Moto G6. 1 GB data appears to be sufficient. Unlimited talk is needed based on usage. I've also looked at https://prepaidcompare.net/ and set the filter for 1 GB of data, though I'm not sure how current the table is since I see some references to FreedomPop and Sprint in the results.

The preference would be for a provider which provides low speed data and not a hard cut-off when over the limit. And, it'll be nice to know if there are added taxes and fees - I'll be sure to ask that via chat before signing up, but if you know that a company has none, I'd appreciate knowing that too. The absolute lowest price is not as important as having a relatively reliable MVNO - I say relatively since I can always help this family member if things go south and they need to find a different one. Willing to also consider a yearly plan.

Both Tello and Hello Mobile seem to have a one month free special at the moment.

So, what do folks recommend?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Feedback Score
    The Moto G6 does not have LTE band 71 so it is not a good phone for anything that uses T-Mobile. Band 71 is critical for good coverage from T-Mo.

From looking at prepaidcompare.net I would consider Net10 or Red Pocket. If you click on a service line in prepaidcompare.net it will display details about the plan, including taxes and fees. Most have taxes and fees.

The Net10 and Red Pocket plans have unlimited data at 64Kbps. Many things will not work at that speed. They time out.

These cheap plans with unlimited talk and text generally are not truly unlimited. There is an unstated limit that they will let you use without getting terminated - something like 3000 minutes.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the quick response. I've discussed the unlimited talk aspect with the person ... the usage does not typically exceed 30-40 minutes a day, primarily during the commute to work. 1000 would almost do it, but I was being conservative. 3000 would be very adequate, based on what I've been told.

Good point about the band 71 issue with T-Mobile - I had not thought about that! A Motorola Moto E6, which appears to have band 71 is also available for use.

Feedback Score
    Have you considered https://mobi.com/, which uses the Vzw network? UT&T&1GB for $9.99 + taxes/fees. Extra data can be added to the current plan cycle for $3.99/1GB, and it can be set to either automatically add, or be hard capped at the included 1GB.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. I've discussed the unlimited talk aspect with the person ... the usage does not typically exceed 30-40 minutes a day, primarily during the commute to work. 1000 would almost do it, but I was being conservative. 3000 would be very adequate, based on what I've been told.

Good point about the band 71 issue with T-Mobile - I had not thought about that! A Motorola Moto E6, which appears to have band 71 is also available for use.
    The Moto E6 has band 71 and all the other T-Mo LTE bands. That opens up T-Mo as a possibility. I have an E6 as my daily phone. It's not much of a phone, but it does work. I do like its size and weight. I use mine with Tracfone-Verizon.

For a T-Mo MVNO I recommend Tello. $10/mo plus ~20% taxes and fees gets what you asked for. I have used Tello. They are very good for reliability and customer service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Have you considered https://mobi.com/, which uses the Vzw network? UT&T&1GB for $9.99 + taxes/fees. Extra data can be added to the current plan cycle for $3.99/1GB, and it can be set to either automatically add, or be hard capped at the included 1GB.
    Thanks for the pointer, Boz1. I'd never heard of them but my take from their webpage is that it's in beta. For this person, I want to go with something established at a fixed price (one reason for my query about taxes and fees).

I'd probably try Mobi but I'm pretty happy with Vegolink and Tracfone - because of my usage habits of needing minimal data these work very well for me.

Editing to add the following:

I see this on one of the Mobi pages:

"Just download the Mobi app and order your SIM card.
    We’ll reach out as soon as a beta spot is ready for you."

Ordering a SIM costs $9.99.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The Moto E6 has band 71 and all the other T-Mo LTE bands. That opens up T-Mo as a possibility. I have an E6 as my daily phone. It's not much of a phone, but it does work. I do like its size and weight. I use mine with Tracfone-Verizon.

For a T-Mo MVNO I recommend Tello. $10/mo plus ~20% taxes and fees gets what you asked for. I have used Tello. They are very good for reliability and customer service.
    That's encouraging that you use the E6 as your daily phone. And, Tello sent me email offering a no cost trial. I'm going to see if "chat" can let me know what my taxes and fees are.

Feedback Score
    I was just on chat with mobi, wasn't aware of them but could be a good fit for my wife. She normally is under 1gb but knowing that an extra gig is only $4 is pretty good. They said the app is in beta, not the service. They are planning on adding more self service features to the app I guess. I have to say my chat with them was very positive and made me feel like I'd get good support if I tried them. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. Also they said the sim card cost includes the first month service so the sim is effectively free.

Sent from my Z6530V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cwshop View Post
    I was just on chat with mobi, wasn't aware of them but could be a good fit for my wife. She normally is under 1gb but knowing that an extra gig is only $4 is pretty good. They said the app is in beta, not the service. They are planning on adding more self service features to the app I guess. I have to say my chat with them was very positive and made me feel like I'd get good support if I tried them. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. Also they said the sim card cost includes the first month service so the sim is effectively free.

Sent from my Z6530V using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the clarification about the SIM card price - this should help others reading this thread. It would be good if they added that info to https://shop.mobi.com/collections/frontpage. In their defense, if one actually clicks on the SIM it takes you to a different page where one sees words describing what you get for that price.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, Mobi is moving REALLY slowly in coming out with new features. They have a storied history, and became a MVNO a couple of years ago. The SIM card is $9.99, but that includes the 1st month service. When you activate the SIM card, the only additional money collected is whatever taxes/fees are normally charged on a $9.99 cell service for your address. Reports that I've read say that there really isn't a delay to activate after receiving the SIM card, but I can't say for sure what will happen.

Feedback Score
    Boz1 beat me too it, but i was going to suggest Mobi

i have had a line with them for about a year and have been pretty happy, only disappointment is consistent with my experience on every other Verizon MVNO i have tried. i can request my voicemail be completely disabled but it always mysteriously comes back on within a couple weeks if not sooner. the reason i like it off is the line is google voice forwarding destination and a prefer not the CCF back to GV although that has been my acceptable if not preferred solution to not have mobi voicemail steal the calls. since i have no intention for more than minimal data usage on the particular line i am very happy with the 1GB plus $3.99 per GB if i ever need a little more.

Feedback Score
    Liberty Wireless (TM) UTT 1GB every 30 days. $100 for 360 days eBay but it's hardcapped.
    Check out this page: https://www.visible.com/get/36csHv, it has all the info you need to know about joining Visible.
    When you use my friend code, 36csHv, you’ll get your first month of service for only $5!

Join my Party Pay Group 38,147 members (no information is shared with other members)
    https://visible.com/p/Reddit_Upvote & never pay more than $25 a month.

Visible $25/mo
    Liberty 09.06.2022
    TMo 01.05.22
    Truphone 01.18.22

Feedback Score
    Boost just came out with a utt 1 gig for 100 for the year, on the AT&T network now so they say.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    To close the loop on this ... gone with Tello. Ordered this past weekend. SIM arrived today. Activated. Contacted the previous provider (FP) and got port-out info. Port to Tello went smoothly in under 4 hours.

Thanks once again for all the help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    To close the loop on this ... gone with Tello. Ordered this past weekend. SIM arrived today. Activated. Contacted the previous provider (FP) and got port-out info. Port to Tello went smoothly in under 4 hours.

Thanks once again for all the help.
    Good choice cuz it's really hard to beat Tello if you get decent T-Mobile coverage in your area. Had my Rents on the $8.00 UT&T since it came out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast