Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: White list just an extortion plan to get you to buy THEIR phones?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone
    Feedback Score

White list just an extortion plan to get you to buy THEIR phones?

Really just want someone to explain how the carriers can limit which phones can be used on their network when the phone is 4G LTE and VoLTE capable. 4G LTE isn’t being turned off, just 2G and 3G, right? Help me understand this.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As I have mentioned many times before, their network, their rules. It is as simple as that and griping about it on a forum like this won't stop it. The only and best suggestion I can make is to reach out to the FCC at this point.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    they do this to the cell phone companies as well. "oh you want your phone to work on out network? you must pay us $$$ for us to "validate" it"

Feedback Score
    Any modern decent phone works on all US networks.

They can't allow any random phones on the network, because those phones can really mess things up, dangerous now that voice is the same as data.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Any modern decent phone works on all US networks.
    But what about the indecent phones?

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    They can't allow any random phones on the network, because those phones can really mess things up.
    Citation needed.

This sounds like some 1999-level Verizon propaganda right there. Or 1968-level Ma Bell propaganda.

LTE chipsets are standardized. It isn’t like some random Joe Blow in his basement can whip up an LTE baseband and stick his SIM card in it. There are published and documented standards that baseband manufacturers follow when designing their SoCs and devices have to meet FCC regulated standards and be approved in order to be allowed to be used.

The chances of a rogue device “messing up” the network is so low as to be negligible. And don’t think for a second if some mad scientist in his basement made up some homebrew baseband that actually *did* cause some network disruption that it wouldn’t be immediately obvious to the carrier and they would come crashing down on him with the full force of the US Government and FCC.

But that’s not what we’re talking about here. These are bog-standard LTE chips in bog-standard devices that just happen to have been obtained outside the carrier’s sales ecosystem. We all know this. The whitelist is absolutely a protection racket to get subscribers to purchase their handsets directly from the carrier.

Even VoLTE is just a standards-compliant implementation of a well-known APN on all the big US carriers I’m aware of. There is not a single shred of evidence to imply there is any technical reason any mainstream equipment can’t work on all 3 US carriers.

Now, support? That’s a different topic altogether and I suppose it can be argued that angry customers will leave if their unsupported handset doesn’t work. Which may be *part* of the reason for the whitelists. But to point to “messing up the network” as a reason to disallow subscribers the freedom to use the equipment of their choice is disingenuous at best and malicious at worst.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    ...They can't allow any random phones on the network, because those phones can really mess things up, dangerous now that voice is the same as data.
    This is a humorous posting meant to be seen as such. Imho.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 01.18.22

Feedback Score
    The fact that EVERY network provider has CERTIFICATION programs for the phones allowed on their network proves that your reasoning is faulty.
    They don't really on manufacturers to pinky swear that their phones are compliant. There are many things that can be done to a "standard LTE chipset", via firmware programming, that could make them unsuitable for use in US networks.
    Huawei is an example.

But yeah, keep believing in a conspiracy. I guess that makes you feel special.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Yeah, you’re right. T-Mobile’s network is just falling apart at the seams because of those pesky unapproved VoLTE devices.

Again, citation needed.

How did every GSM network on earth ever get by before the advent of the VoLTE whitelist? It was like Mad Max before, I tell you!

Again, there are some valid reasons to do what AT&T is doing, support being one issue. A larger one being that they have copious amounts of debt from a bunch of questionable acquisitions and selling equipment is definitely a nice way to pad the bottom line.

Oh, and if we’re doing personal attacks, do you feel special because your paycheck comes from a phone company?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Again, there are some valid reasons to do what AT&T is doing, support being one issue. A larger one being that they have copious amounts of debt from a bunch of questionable acquisitions and selling equipment is definitely a nice way to pad the bottom line.
    That's just stupid. AT&T or Verizon don't make money from the phones Samsung, Apple, Motorola, or other sell.
    They just care to certify ONE of each models.
    If we are here, I guess FCC sucks money too from you for certifying those phones too?

I don't get who are you "defending" here? Huawei?

Feedback Score
    That's just stupid. AT&T or Verizon don't make money from the phones Samsung, Apple, Motorola, or other sell...
    If I take this at face value I agree. But if you're saying ATT & VZW sell phones at dead cost on their sites I disagree.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    Which carriers are enforcing whitelist? I'm on RP GSMA and so far I've been able to use whatever phone I wanted (as long as it had AT&T bands)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Endlessknight View Post
    Which carriers are enforcing whitelist? I'm on RP GSMA and so far I've been able to use whatever phone I wanted (as long as it had AT&T bands)
    I activated a Tracfone GSMA annual preloaded sim and it never asked me for an IMEI.

Sent from my SM-A025A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    I activated a Tracfone GSMA annual preloaded sim and it never asked me for an IMEI.

Sent from my SM-A025A using HoFo mobile app
    The imei is still collected by ATT or TMO. They know the imei when you use the phone. They're just not restrictive on sim swapping (at this point) like Verizon.

Feedback Score

Remember how the Verizon “versions” of flip phones mysteriously had OBEX and PAN Bluetooth profiles disabled? They wanted you to either use up your MMS or buy an unlimited plan.

Its not a matter of whether you should have to pay for something you use, it’s a matter of a carrier disabling FREE features that DON’T use their network.

The Motorola V710 and E815 were perfect examples of this. Depending on when you bought your E815, you could either have the stock blue “Motorola” menus:

Or the crippled red “Verizon” firmware:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast