Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: White list just an extortion plan to get you to buy THEIR phones?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    But what about the indecent phones?
    Then you get a ticket for indecent exposure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    The fact that EVERY network provider has CERTIFICATION programs for the phones allowed on their network proves that your reasoning is faulty.
    They don't really on manufacturers to pinky swear that their phones are compliant. There are many things that can be done to a "standard LTE chipset", via firmware programming, that could make them unsuitable for use in US networks.
    Huawei is an example.

But yeah, keep believing in a conspiracy. I guess that makes you feel special.
    Those certification programs are a farce. And most likely just a business front vs. anything technical. I have a BYOD (designed for ATT) phone running Android 9.0 ~2.5 years old - it's not on the list. And a Cricket branded phone stuck on Android 6.0 that's 5+ years old - that old POS is on the so called certified list. IMHO, I'd be more concerned about an old OS being on the network.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VoIP2TDM View Post
    Then you get a ticket for indecent exposure
    LOL............
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    It should be readily apparent that all this 'white listing' of devices by a carrier is strictly to channel device purchase traffic to the brands or models the major carrier itself decides, for whatever reason, to allow. And further that said channeling is for the financial benefit of the ecosystem a carrier sets up with the device manufacturers and the type acceptance testing fees they pay (where applicable) to the carrier.

The 'dream' of consumers (in the U.S.) for years has been to have a system like that in Europe where a device with the correct tech built-in could be taken to any desired carrier that supports that tech. Which used to mainly be differentiated by the GSM/CDMA distinction. Now that all carriers are LTE-based (but not 100% exclusively) here in the U.S., that bar should have become nearly non-existent. But leave it to the U.S. wireless industry to set up artificial barriers to device emancipation.

Yeah, sure, it's those companies' rights to do it as they please in this regard (no shortage of rights and their proponents in this country, especially with big business). But it benefits them in some unknown way. It can't in any sense be considered consumer friendly.

Feedback Score
    Is this the reason behind Verizon Wireless’ record low churns each year?

I know they restrict devices coming in, and most people would be captive for at least 2 years (whether contract in days of old, or payment plans in more current years).

Never switched AWAY from them, and tried to bring a VZW device to a LESS restrictive carrier. Assuming the device was something like an iPhone and had all the GSM and LTE bands ready to roll, would it work?

I know there was an initial exclusivity agreement between Apple and AT&T but I always tell myself it took Verizon that long to agree to allow a device they couldn’t paste their logo on, or overwrite the OS with their custom firmware

Feedback Score
    What Whacker said x2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dafone View Post
    What Whacker said x2
    However the “dream” of US consumers was apparently NOT to have all phones use a USB-C cable

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    However the “dream” of US consumers was apparently NOT to have all phones use a USB-C cable
    My theory is that is planned to require consumers to buy new phone cables/accessories every few years. Been this way for more than 2 decades. However, it is good that there is now somewhat uniform standard for most phones, albeit changing from time to time. I remember when an LG phone and a Motorola phone had completely different types of cables and were not interchangeable (for example).

Feedback Score
    Baby steps towards compatibility IMHO. And it just means that phone mfgrs don't have to provide you with a charging block. Less costs to them.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    The carriers wouldn’t operate their own sales channels if they weren’t making money off of them.

30-36 month contracts (sorry, “payment plans”), overpriced accessories, and in stores a captive audience to upsell higher-priced plans to and slam unneeded features on - all rake in big bucks for the carriers.

There is zero technological reason for a whitelist. As others have said, it’s their network and they can do whatever they want. AT&T and Verizon aren’t losing subs. Oh, and I’ve never even seen a Huawei phone in real life.

But my Nokia 225 4G would like a word, though. And my Galaxy Note 10+ purchased direct from Samsung that wasn’t on the whitelist until 2 years after its release. I’m sure they both would crash the entire cell network, and it has nothing to do with squeezing an extra dime out of consumers. Nothing at all.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    The carriers wouldn’t operate their own sales channels if they weren’t making money off of them.

30-36 month contracts (sorry, “payment plans”), overpriced accessories, and in stores a captive audience to upsell higher-priced plans to and slam unneeded features on - all rake in big bucks for the carriers.

There is zero technological reason for a whitelist. As others have said, it’s their network and they can do whatever they want. AT&T and Verizon aren’t losing subs. Oh, and I’ve never even seen a Huawei phone in real life.

But my Nokia 225 4G would like a word, though. And my Galaxy Note 10+ purchased direct from Samsung that wasn’t on the whitelist until 2 years after its release. I’m sure they both would crash the entire cell network, and it has nothing to do with squeezing an extra dime out of consumers. Nothing at all.

I know 36-month contracts are a “thing” with Canadian carriers, glad we don’t have that!

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Huawei makes some fantastic affordable phones, as well as some high end ones. But that's a different topic altogether.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I know 36-month contracts are a “thing” with Canadian carriers, glad we don’t have that!

I know AT&T has some 36 month “payment plans” and I think I’ve seen 30 from T-Mobile but it could have been an old Sprint thing.

At any rate, there’s metric tons of money to be made by enforcing this kind of artificial lock-in. That, and it also provides the added bonus of ensuring that everyone uses devices with locked bootloaders, with no hope of installing a custom firmware or jailbreaking so you can’t opt out of the always-on surveillance grid either.

It’s a win-win for them. Not so much for the rest of us.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dafone View Post
    Baby steps towards compatibility IMHO. And it just means that phone mfgrs don't have to provide you with a charging block. Less costs to them.
    But the problem is manufacturers keep providing you with the charger and cable. I have yet to buy an Android that didnt come with it.

I prefer they leave it out. Most of us have too much clutter in the house already. And the world is polluted with too much electronic waste.

Sent from my SM-A025A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    But the problem is manufacturers keep providing you with the charger and cable. I have yet to buy an Android that didn't come with it.
    Not my latest Samsung Galaxy phone. When I bought my current S21 5G, it did have a USB C charging/data transfer cord, but no power brick.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast