Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Verizon officially owns Tracphone

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Nice!

I read that they will honor the lifeline plans Tracfone had established for some customers.

Are there any non carrier-owned prepaid mobile providers left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VoIP2TDM View Post
    Nice!

I read that they will honor the lifeline plans Tracfone had established for some customers.

Do Xfintiy and Spectrum count as prepaid? Google-fi? Mint Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VoIP2TDM View Post
    Nice!

Lifeline's there because TF is still TF. It's just a subsidiary of Vzw. Other then TF moving slowly toward using the Verizon network only (which they've been doing for a couple years anyway), nothings really changing.

And if you count mvno's as part of you're prepaid question, there's allot.

https://howardforums.com/showthread....ne-Acquisition
    Last edited by rpz1; 11-22-2021 at 05:48 PM.

Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL/4a5G, Moto E6/G7 Power/Z3 Play/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Two good things from the terms in that iast link are that Verizon must maintain the AT&T and T-Mobile contracts for at least 3 years, and also set the unlocking policy to 60 days. One of my (Verizon) lines is using a phone that would not get unlocked because I transferred balances to it, and I wasn't planning to pay for another year of service. Now I can get it unlocked in 60 days.

Correction: These assumptions may not be true. According to the posters in the TracFone forum, the wording implies that if Verizon has coverage in those AT&T and T-Mobile areas, they could transfer the lines to Verizon. Also, the 60-day unlock could be only for devices bought after today's closing.

Anyway, we shall see how it actually works out. I will request an unlock for my phone, after 60 days.
    Last edited by mframe; 11-22-2021 at 07:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    Two good things from the terms in that iast link are that Verizon must maintain the AT&T and T-Mobile contracts for at least 3 years, and also set the unlocking policy to 60 days. One of my (Verizon) lines is using a phone that would not get unlocked because I transferred balances to it, and I wasn't planning to pay for another year of service. Now I can get it unlocked in 60 days.
    It says the 60day unlock for "700 MHz C Block devices." Is that what's called C-band? If so, that's not even in play yet.
    Also as pointed out to me in the Tracfone forum, it says Verizon will maintain TracFone’s existing MVNO agreements to serve customers
    outside Verizon’s network coverage . We already know their maps are bogus, so who's to say your outside their area, Verizon ??.

Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL/4a5G, Moto E6/G7 Power/Z3 Play/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    It says the 60day unlock for "700 MHz C Block devices." Is that what's called C-band?
    No. That refers to Verizon's original low-band (13).

Feedback Score
    6 billion is chump change for 20 million customers. In a few years that will be making a hefty profit for verizon

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Verizon officially owns Tracphone

Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post

Correction: These assumptions may not be true. According to the posters in the TracFone forum, the wording implies that if Verizon has coverage in those AT&T and T-Mobile areas, they could transfer the lines to Verizon. Also, the 60-day unlock could be only for devices bought after today's closing.

Anyway, we shall see how it actually works out. I will request an unlock for my phone, after 60 days.
    However, that also means that AT&T and T-Mobile now get the upper hand in contract negotiations. Expect them to up their wholesale rates to Tracfone to force Verizon's hand against supporting it longer.

This is not good for any MVNO pricing within a couple years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    However, that also means that AT&T and T-Mobile now get the upper hand in contract negotiations. Expect them to up their wholesale rates to Tracfone to force Verizon's hand against supporting it longer.

This is not good for any MVNO pricing within a couple years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Name:  img.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  55.2 KB..........

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Do Xfintiy and Spectrum count as prepaid? Google-fi? Mint Mobile.
    Forgot all about Spectrum Mobile.

How do you think their agreements look - the same as any other wholesale wireless customer, OR do you think they route all voice traffic back to their SIP gateways where they already have peering? Third / other options or ideas?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    It says the 60day unlock for "700 MHz C Block devices." Is that what's called C-band? If so, that's not even in play yet.
    Also as pointed out to me in the Tracfone forum, it says Verizon will maintain TracFone’s existing MVNO agreements to serve customers
    outside Verizon’s network coverage . We already know their maps are bogus, so who's to say your outside their area, Verizon ??.
    All well and good, but will they allow new activations that use AT&T and T-Mo? Also, isn't maintaining existing MVNO agreements only for three years?

I expect Verizon will game this to the max. Can they discontinue the brands that use T-Mo?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    All well and good, but will they allow new activations that use AT&T and T-Mo? Also, isn't maintaining existing MVNO agreements only for three years?

I expect Verizon will game this to the max. Can they discontinue the brands that use T-Mo?
    3 years is plenty. Why should Verizon buy a company and then still offer service to their competition in 2025?

Feedback Score
    We’re all customers of one another at some level or another.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    6 billion is chump change for 20 million customers. In a few years that will be making a hefty profit for verizon
    If you do the math that's $300 for each customer. That's not "chump change" at all, not for the low cost plans that Tracfone has.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast