Thread: Strange behavior porting to AT&T Prepaid

Feedback Score

Strange behavior porting to AT&T Prepaid

Porting my wife's phone from Tracfone to an AT&T Prepaid plan and I'm not sure exactly what's going on with it. When making the purchase, I provided the Tracfone account no (phone's IMEI) and PIN. A few hours later she received a text message from AT&T saying that they needed the PIN to complete the transfer, so we used the provided link and entered it again. There were no further messages.

Well, today we still haven't received any notification that things are proceeding or that they have shipped the new SIM card, but her phone no longer sends or receives SMS messages. I also am not able to call her, but strangely, even with the Tracfone SIM still in the phone, she can call me and it comes in with the correct caller ID etc. What's more, on her first call she heard a message saying "Welcome to AT&T Prepaid"!

Still no sign of status or SIM being shipped. What is going on here?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    Porting my wife's phone from Tracfone to an AT&T Prepaid plan and I'm not sure exactly what's going on with it. When making the purchase, I provided the Tracfone account no (phone's IMEI) and PIN. A few hours later she received a text message from AT&T saying that they needed the PIN to complete the transfer, so we used the provided link and entered it again. There were no further messages.

Well, today we still haven't received any notification that things are proceeding or that they have shipped the new SIM card, but her phone no longer sends or receives SMS messages. I also am not able to call her, but strangely, even with the Tracfone SIM still in the phone, she can call me and it comes in with the correct caller ID etc. What's more, on her first call she heard a message saying "Welcome to AT&T Prepaid"!

Was thinking about trying AT&T prepaid, but this makes me think I may go with Cricket when VZW pushes us to use VZW towers. Cricket has walk in stores in my area and sets everything up in the store before you leave. My husband just ported from VZW prepaid to Cricket last month. Everything was up and running within a couple hours.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Well, today we still haven't received any notification that things are proceeding or that they have shipped the new SIM card, but her phone no longer sends or receives SMS messages.
    Log into your TF account and check. If the number had been ported/released, the device will be placed in INACTIVE status.

A strange thing about the INACTIVE status. In the last two months, I've ported out 4 numbers on BYOP TF/AT&T SIMs to Visible. As soon as the rep from TF Porting Dept called me and released the number, the SIM got put into Inactive status, but the line still worked as normal. Only when I activated the Visible SIM that the number actually got ported over, and the line no longer worked on TF.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Log into your TF account and check. If the number had been ported/released, the device will be placed in INACTIVE status.
    Yes, when Safelink ported my number from TF/VZW to TF/AT&T sim the TF/VZW sim shows INACTIVE in my TF account. The ACTIVE BYOP TF/AT&T sim isn't listed in my account either though. I'm guessing cause I transferred through Safelink and not TracFone website.

Feedback Score
    Actually had a good experience with almost no hold time calling the AT&T transfer center. They actually directly called the Tracfone support center and all they had to do was verify the number ownership by sending a text with a code and the transfer was then completed successfully.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    They actually directly called the Tracfone support center and all they had to do was verify the number ownership by sending a text with a code and the transfer was then completed successfully.
    So which provider is the phone number with now? You don't have the AT&T SIM yet, and your wife's phone with the TF SIM gets the message "Welcome to AT&T Prepaid" when making the call. That's really strange.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Yes, when Safelink ported my number from TF/VZW to TF/AT&T sim the TF/VZW sim shows INACTIVE in my TF account. The ACTIVE BYOP TF/AT&T sim isn't listed in my account either though. I'm guessing cause I transferred through Safelink and not TracFone website.
    I think you have to add newcomers manually if you want them there.

Feedback Score

Backlog from weekend at both carriers. Or swamped with stampede out of Tracfone. Or just normal incremental porting, getting new sim provisioned before shipment.