Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: am I allowed to move Tracfone/Verizon SIM card from one unlocked iPhone to another unlocked iPhone?

Feedback Score

am I allowed to move Tracfone/Verizon SIM card from one unlocked iPhone to another unlocked iPhone?

am I allowed to move Tracfone/Verizon SIM card from one unlocked iPhone to another unlocked iPhone?

actually, I've done that several times in the past....

however, I was talking with a Tracfone rep on the phone today(about something unrelated) and he insisted that it was not "allowed"...??? He said that my service may get suspended or cancelled if I move SIMs between phones without calling them first???

the iPhones are all recent and purchased unlocked from Apple's website and all worked fine on the same Tracfone/Verizon SIM card that I've been using for almost 2 years...

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post

however, I was talking with a Tracfone rep on the phone today(about something unrelated) and he insisted that it was not "allowed"...??? He said that my service may get suspended or cancelled if I move SIMs between phones without calling them first???.
    Things have changed. Swapping TF/Verizon SIM now at your own risks. What the rep said had happened to a few forum members. I won't repeat the stories.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Things have changed. Swapping TF/Verizon SIM now at your own risks. What the rep said had happened to a few forum members. I won't repeat the stories.
    so I have to call Tracfone each time I want to take the SIM out and move it to a different phone?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    so I have to call Tracfone each time I want to take the SIM out and move it to a different phone?
    A TF/Verizon SIM is paired with the IMEI of the phone that was used to activate it. If you replace the phone and want to use the same SIM, you'll need to contact TF and have the SIM paired to the IMEI of the new phone. If you don't want to contact TF, you can buy a new BYOP SIM kit (usually for $1), then activate the new TF/Verizon SIM with a transfer from the old SIM. During the activation process, TF system will ask you to provide the IMEI of the new phone.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

however, I was talking with a Tracfone rep on the phone today(about something unrelated) and he insisted that it was not "allowed"...??? He said that my service may get suspended or cancelled if I move SIMs between phones without calling them first???

the iPhones are all recent and purchased unlocked from Apple's website and all worked fine on the same Tracfone/Verizon SIM card that I've been using for almost 2 years...
    What the Rep told you is true... My service got suspended for sim swapping a BYOP TF/VZW sim.

Feedback Score
    A TF/Verizon SIM is paired with the IMEI of the phone that was used to activate it. If you replace the phone and want to use the same SIM, you'll need to contact TF and have the SIM paired to the IMEI of the new phone. If you don't want to contact TF, you can buy a new BYOP SIM kit (usually for $1), then activate the new TF/Verizon SIM with a transfer from the old SIM. During the activation process, TF system will ask you to provide the IMEI of the new phone.
    does the apply to Tracfone SIM cards running on T-Mobile or AT&T? If not, I might as well switch to a new SIM card on AT&T or T-Mobile, in case I was to do phone swapping in the future.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    does the apply to Tracfone SIM cards running on T-Mobile or AT&T?
    For now, TF/AT&T and TF/T-mo are not tying a SIM number to a particular IMEI, although they know the IMEI of the phone whenever it connects to their network.

Feedback Score
    For now, TF/AT&T and TF/T-mo are not tying a SIM number to a particular IMEI, although they know the IMEI of the phone whenever it connects to their network.
    Thanks again for your help!

I'll just order a new $1 sim and re-activated my line on a Tracfone T-Mobile SIM. (fortunately, or unfortunately, all three major carriers suck in my area... so it makes no difference to me which one I use... )

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'll just order a new $1 sim and re-activated my line on a Tracfone T-Mobile SIM.
    Be mindful that Verizon now owns TF. Eventually they will make all TF customers use Verizon, especially in areas that they have coverage.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Now maybe the most inexpensive time to try other TF service providers so that you will know which is acceptable or unacceptable if the time ever comes when you must leave Tracfone.

Let's hope that Verizon will allow you to combine AT&T/T-Mobile airtime onto an active Verizon SIM`ed phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Now maybe the most inexpensive time to try other TF service providers so that you will know which is acceptable or unacceptable if the time ever comes when you must leave Tracfone.

Let's hope that Verizon will allow you to combine AT&T/T-Mobile airtime onto an active Verizon SIM`ed phone.
    Is there anything in the agreement that prevents TF from not allowing transfers to ATT/TMO even now?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Not that I read, and thats probably one of the main things people would like to know. You'd think they'd give some kind of timeline so people that can't run on VZW towers can be prepared. I'd say they will stop it soon though, be less they have to transition over too Verizon when the time comes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Not that I read, and thats probably one of the main things people would like to know. You'd think they'd give some kind of timeline so people that can't run on VZW towers can be prepared. I'd say they will stop it soon though, be less they have to transition over too Verizon when the time comes.
    To clarify, I meant to move from TF/Vzw to TF/ATT or TMO. They can't prevent moving to another ATT/TMO company or even another Vzw mvno. But they could prevent moving from TF/VZW to TF/ATT-TMO even now. Or when ever the ink dries. I think there is a notification period for those that are on TF/ATT-TMO that don't have Vzw coverage.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    To clarify, I meant to move from TF/Vzw to TF/ATT or TMO. They can't prevent moving to another ATT/TMO company or even another Vzw mvno. But they could prevent moving from TF/VZW to TF/ATT-TMO even now. Or when ever the ink dries.
    Yes, I understood that. Thats what I meant, I'm thinking VZW will stop allowing us to move from TF/VZW to TF/AT&T soon. They'll want the ones already running on VZW towers to stay there.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The Tracfone e-Bay store shouldn`t still be selling the airtime bundled AT&T and T-Mobile BYOP SIMs if Verizon will not allow their use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast