Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: am I allowed to move Tracfone/Verizon SIM card from one unlocked iPhone to another unlocked iPhone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Maybe because TF is unfriendly.
    TF too inept to keep track, so it makes a mess.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Maybe because TF is unfriendly.
    I think it's Verizon that's against SIM swapping. So far, TF doesn't make troubles for people swapping TF/AT&T and TF/T-mo SIMs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post

now that I think about it, what possible reason does Tracfond/Verizon have for hating SIM swapping? (especially in the scenario that I described, where someone was just taking the Tracfone/Verizon SIM from one unlocked phone and putting it into another unlocked phone)

Or do they just like paying the extra workload for their call center employees by having to manually change the IMEI every single time?
    I think it may actually be the reverse of that-- they don't like paying the extra workload for troubleshooting why a customer's SIM-swapped phone doesn't work properly, just to figure out, eventually, that it's not VoLTE capable. Requiring 'official' transfers means that the IMEI will be tested for compatibility, and refused if it's not compatible.

Whether it happens onTracfone or not, I think we'll see the same thing happen with AT&T SIM-swapping: it can't be efficient to let a customer transfer to a phone that's not on that darn whitelist, and then to suspend the line, and deal with customers upset by the suspension.

AmandaCL, if you want some ease of moving between phones on your Verizon line, just get extra SIM cards, and add the phones to your account as 'inactive'. The IMEI check should happen at that point. With each phone having it's own SIM, I think you can transfer between them easily online.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    ...AmandaCL, if you want some ease of moving between phones on your Verizon line, just get extra SIM cards, and add the phones to your account as 'inactive'. The IMEI check should happen at that point. With each phone having it's own SIM, I think you can transfer between them easily online.
    Visible by Verizon handled it differently for me 11 months ago when I switched from a Moto G7 Power to a Moto G Stylus 2020. In a chant with the CSR I was told just move the SIM to the Moto G Stylus 2020. I always reboot & bam no problems (knock on wood) 11 months later.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 01.18.22

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Visible by Verizon handled it differently for me 11 months ago when I switched from a Moto G7 Power to a Moto G Stylus 2020. In a chant with the CSR I was told just move the SIM to the Moto G Stylus 2020. I always reboot & bam no problems (knock on wood) 11 months later.
    Visible appears to "auto-pair" the SIM to the IMEI. AT&T and T-mo do the same thing. When I was doing BYOD deals with AT&T and T-mo last year, whenever I put the SIM into a different phone it was reflected when I logged into the account.

The problem with SIM swapping a TF/Verizon SIM is that it's not handled consistently. In some cases, putting a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM into a TF-branded SIM "auto-pairs" the BYOP SIM to the phone and "displaces" the original SIM, causing it to be purged from TF system and all its buckets/days to be lost (this happened to me and NanaC). In other cases, putting a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM into a different phone did not get auto-paired, instead the line gets shut down and you have to call TF to get service restored after getting a lecture from the rep (happened to NanaC).

A forum member who uses PagePlus said PP does the auto-pairing and SIM-swapping doesn't cause any problems.
    Last edited by hpham; 11-27-2021 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Edited: Correction - PagePlus not PayPlus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    A forum member who uses PayPlus said PP does the auto-pairing and SIM-swapping doesn't cause any problems.
    If I not mistaken you meant to say PagePlus not PayPlus. Yes the op could just use PP. Just by activating a new TF/BYOP sim on PP and swap at will. One thing PagePlus always emphasizes when you confirm this ability is "the phone MUST be compatible" .
    I asked before because I think I read somewhere that on Verizon itself (not an mvno of Vzw) allows sim swapping but never got a confirmation on that ??

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    A member of Turk Forums just posted this:

"I made the mistake of testing an unlocked Nokia Cricket phone with an active sim from my Moto G7 which I had also unlocked...I also tested the G7 unlocking by putting in the Cricket SIM. After testing I put the sim cards back in their original devices.
    It didn't matter as I had already done made a couple HUGE MISTAKES!!!!

Cricket's computers suspended that line, and Verizon's computers suspended my Tracfone line. Attempting to transfer service into a different phone did not restore the Tracfone service.

It took 30 minutes on the phone with a manager to get this sorted out. It took reinserting the TF sim back in the Nokia while she was on the phone before she was able to fix it.

So be careful doing an unauthorized SIM swapping; I was told quite sternly the system is setup to automatically block your line over this.
    I'm not sure I feel safe swapping sims with TF branded devices either. "

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    A member of Turk Forums just posted this:

"I made the mistake of testing an unlocked Nokia Cricket phone with an active sim from my Moto G7 which I had also unlocked...I also tested the G7 unlocking by putting in the Cricket SIM. After testing I put the sim cards back in their original devices.
    It didn't matter as I had already done made a couple HUGE MISTAKES!!!!

Cricket's computers suspended that line, and Verizon's computers suspended my Tracfone line. Attempting to transfer service into a different phone did not restore the Tracfone service.

It took 30 minutes on the phone with a manager to get this sorted out. It took reinserting the TF sim back in the Nokia while she was on the phone before she was able to fix it.

So be careful doing an unauthorized SIM swapping; I was told quite sternly the system is setup to automatically block your line over this.
    I'm not sure I feel safe swapping sims with TF branded devices either. "
    This SO intrusive it should be illegal.

Feedback Score
    I believe that Cricket has strict SIM/IMEI pairing.

Feedback Score
    When I swapped my Verizon sim from my Moto G4 to my G7 I had weird problems like people outside of my area not being able to call me. (They said it was ringing but my phone never rang, etc.) That is when I called TF and found out the Verizon sim is tied to the phone and you need a new one. At that point I switched to AT&T to avoid this issue in the future.
    Last edited by niceman; 11-29-2021 at 07:07 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    There are posts somewhere here on HoFo that state that the tide has also turned at Page Plus Cellular as far as SIM swapping goes. They did it and encountered problems, as well as 'the talk' from a CSR when trying to fix it.

Feedback Score
    Guess I'll need to chat with PP again. Last I confirmed it was still ok to swap was November 2 from this thread https://howardforums.com/showthread..../page2...start at post#27. Turned out the person had an incompatible phone. I posted my chat there.
    Unless there's another more recent thread/post I missed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Guess I'll need to chat with PP again. Last I confirmed it was still ok to swap was November 2 from this thread https://howardforums.com/showthread..../page2...start at post#27. Turned out the person had an incompatible phone. I posted my chat there.
    Unless there's another more recent thread/post I missed.
    This morning:

Milo: Thank you for visiting Page Plus Cellular.
    Milo: Hi Rip.
    Milo: How may I assist you?
    You: I was told PagePlus no longer allows just moving your sim to a new compatible phone and not having to contact you to change the imei/sim pairing. True?
    Milo: Before we can provide an information, do you have an alternate phone number in case you will disconnect so that we can contact you?
    You: no
    Milo: No problem.
    Milo: You can still use your current SIM card to a compatible for use device
    You: So your system still auto update the imei/sim pairing if a sim is moved to the new phone?
    Milo: Yes, that is correct.
    Milo: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
    You: No, Thank you for confirming that can still be done.
    Milo: You are welcome.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, that's fine, and thank you for your diligence. I'll be sure to reference this and copy/paste it wherever applicable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Well, that's fine, and thank you for your diligence. I'll be sure to reference this and copy/paste it wherever applicable.
    You're welcome. Since I'm with PP forever I try to keep up on it even though I seldom change phones. Of course this is as of today, who knows when it'll change. As long as people don't go crazy with swaps like some seem to want to do.
    Also seems anytime someone says it didn't work it ends up being an incompatible phone or other user error.

I'm on PayGo and keep my data off but still check my balance fairly frequently. One thing I noticed is my call records on the PP website show 2kb data like clock work at least once a week or on the same day I make a call or text. They could never explain it. It's not enough to even ding my PayGo balance and someone on a monthly plan would never notice it.
    I've always thought it was maybe their system reaching out to recheck the pairing. Like the same thing TF likely does when people get a message telling them to put their sim back in the right phone; but PP just takes the info and updates the pairing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast