Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lost service on VZW boyd sim

Feedback Score

lost service on VZW boyd sim

I use a tracfone verizon sim on a BYOD device. Normally I turn off data but leave the mobile phone connection on, and it's been working just fine (phone + message + (as needed) data). Today I turned on data only to find that it does not work, but I could still make call and send/receive text. I also checked my balance/due date and confirmed that every was in order.

When I got home I did an online chat with a TF rep to restore my data service. The rep had me reset various things, including texting APN to 611611 and doubled checked that I had selected "LTE/CDME" for my network, but none of these works. The rep reported my case to the higher up and said that it should work in 24 hours.

I just checked my phone, and to my horror I can't even make call/send text. I also tried something I hadn't done before: I went to the apn setting, click reset to default, but to my surprise the setting does not "stick".

Does anyone here have encountered similar issues before, and how should I get this? As it is now my phone is completely non-functional, just when I need it the most. Thanks for your help!

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Did you swap that SIM from another phone? If yes, TF finally caught up with that and shut down your service.

Feedback Score
    No, it's a brand-new BYOD sim. I did merge the balance + due date + phone number of an existing TF-branded phone, but it was done via TF chat legally a couple of months ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOn View Post
    No, it's a brand-new BYOD sim. I did merge the balance + due date + phone number of an existing TF-branded phone, but it was done via TF chat legally a couple of months ago.
    have you tried restarting your phone ??
    might also try switching airplane mode off / on

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOn View Post
    I just checked my phone, and to my horror I can't even make call/send text. I also tried something I hadn't done before: I went to the apn setting, click reset to default, but to my surprise the setting does not "stick".

Does anyone here have encountered similar issues before, and how should I get this? As it is now my phone is completely non-functional, just when I need it the most. Thanks for your help!
    Let's do some checking:

1. Does the phone show any signal bar?
    2. If you can, download and run the Network Signal Info app . Tap the bargraph in the middle of the screen to change it to "dial and needle". Does it show Verizon as the network, and a good signal (higher than the red zone)?
    3. What APN name is it showing now? TRACFONE.VZWENTP or VZWINTERNET?
    4. Can you send/receive a plain text (without attachment)? A plain text just needs a cell signal, it doesn't need Data and will work without a valid APN.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What model of phone do you have?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    have you tried restarting your phone ??
    might also try switching airplane mode off / on
    I tried both multiple times and it made no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Let's do some checking:

1. Does the phone show any signal bar?
    2. If you can, download and run the Network Signal Info app . Tap the bargraph in the middle of the screen to change it to "dial and needle". Does it show Verizon as the network, and a good signal (higher than the red zone)?
    3. What APN name is it showing now? TRACFONE.VZWENTP or VZWINTERNET?
    4. Can you send/receive a plain text (without attachment)? A plain text just needs a cell signal, it doesn't need Data and will work without a valid APN.

Before I chatted with TF rep, I do have a solid triangle and I could make call and send/receive text, just no data. Now I can't call or send/receive text, and the signal bar shows an empty triangle with an exclamation mark. And under network & internet -> calls & SMS it now says "tracfone (temporarily unavailable)"; before I chatted with the TF rep it just said "tracfone".

I have another TF branded phone, also on VZW, and I can make call, send and receive text, and use data, so signal should not be the issue here.

APN name: For the not-working BYOD phone it shows VZWINTERNET. I clicked on the 3 dots on upper right, and then "reset to default"; that turns it into tracfone.vzwentp. But it does not stick --- go to home page and then back to the APN setting, it says VZWINTERNET.

On my functionng TF-branded phone, the APN does say VZWINTERNET.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like TF seriously messed up your line. This will need a competent rep to get it fixed.

Feedback Score
    An update: I chatted online with several TF reps, to no avail. One of them suggested that I factory reset my phone, which is a no go (got to back up lots of stuffs first). Eventually they arranged to have "Corp" called me. We tried a bunch of things but none work, and after 30 min I got hung up (!). I tried to get another support call this afternoon with basically the same result (my phone still has can't make call/text/no data).

I did notice something interesting: After I turn ON the airplane mode for say 30 seconds and then turn it back on, for 2-3 seconds it does show that I have signal, but after the 2-3 second it goes back to an empty triangle with an exclamation mark.

What are my opinions? Am I doomed? It's a two-month old BYOD phone that works until yesterday... Please help!!!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Is this happened to be a Samsung phone? After you explaining this icon, it sounds like you might have the old roaming icon.

I know some Samsung phones has firmware bugs if you have the wrong firmware on the phone.

Then there is some Samsung phones that will only work on Verizon SIM, and not a Verizon MVNO SIM.

Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL/4a5G, Moto E6/G7 Power/Z3 Play/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    It sounds like they tried to reprovision your SIM, but accidently mis-keyed your SIM number or IMEI. You could try getting another BYOP SIM, transferring your account to that SIM, and being absolutely sure they have correctly typed the SIM and IMEI numbers.

Or at least have them check that your current pairing is absolutely correct (exact). Either way, if you get talk/text back but not data, try VZWINTERNET or tracfone.vzwentp, the opposite of whatever your APN shows.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Could you please tell us what kind of phone it is?

Have you tried putting the old sim back in the phone that you transferred your service from to see if it possibly still works?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Could you please tell us what kind of phone it is?
    I think it must be a secret. You are the 3rd to ask.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    I think it must be a secret. You are the 3rd to ask.
    Beginning to think the phone is an International model and we all know International model phones don't work right with TF/VZW if they work at all.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Something that I was just thinking is it could be a phone that had a good IMEI at the start the something blacklisted it.

I see that the OP got this phone from what it looks like in August, just a few months back, but I could not find any post saying a model tho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast