Thread: New Google Voice Number with Whatsapp?

Feedback Score

New Google Voice Number with Whatsapp?

I have a US google voice number from years ago that i use on my iphone. I want to get another google voice number... but this time its so I could it as the number to connect to whatsapp.

So I used my other gmail accounts that I have to get a google voice number. The issue here is it ask me for a phone number to connect it to. Does this number need to be a legit number? Example like an SMS number and it can't be one of those textnow numbers and things like that?

Reason why I ask this is because I want to use whatsapp to call/text but do not want my primary number tied to the account but want like an anonymous number. Is there a way to do this? I also am planning to use this whatsapp on my chromebook which is android. My main phone is iphone and has a sim that connects to that whatsapp. But i want to have another whatsapp and use it on my chromebook. How do I do this? I had previously just tried to use textnow and other programs like that to put in the whatsapp number but whatsapp say that number is banned... which make sense since people want to use that for verification.

Does anyone know a way to bypass this?

I assume just use my sms number as the number for activating my google voice number? Then connect to the new whatsapp account on my chromebook with the google voice number since that will most likely work? Whatsapp does allow VOIP number right? Basically I want a way to use another whatsapp without revealing my number.

Feedback Score
    It sounds like this is mostly a WhatsApp question, right? Have you actually done any Googling or other research on your own?

You said WhatsApp won't accept a TextNow #, so what makes you think it will accept a GV #, since they are both VoIP #s? Maybe it will, but have you verified this?

I did a Google search and found this link. Why didn't you do that? https://www.alphr.com/verify-whatsap...-phone-number/ Have you tried what's listed in the article?

Regarding GV, a real phone # is needed to claim a GV #.

Feedback Score
    Okay no problem. But is there a way to hide my phone number when using whatsapp? I have a second sim card so would like to use that for my second whatsapp.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly02 View Post
    Okay no problem. But is there a way to hide my phone number when using whatsapp? I have a second sim card so would like to use that for my second whatsapp.
    Again, that's a WhatsApp question. You'll have to find somebody that's familiar with WhatsApp. I only use GV, TextNow, Messenger, Skype, and Viber.

Feedback Score
    WhatsApp accepts GV# and as far as I know, you need a real cellphone# to get a GV #.

You can buy a burner # off eBay (look for a preloaded sim).
    Last edited by stupidngenius; 11-30-2021 at 06:07 AM.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

New Google Voice Number with Whatsapp?

I have been using whatsapp with a google voice number for years.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Since this has sort of become a WhatApp thread in the GV forum, I guess I'll just add this link, which has much of the same info as the other link I posted.

"How to Use WhatsApp Without a Phone Number"
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-...number-4781149

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    I have been using whatsapp with a google voice number for years.

But you need a real number first to confirm the google voice number right?

So when you speak to others with whatsapp, they number that is shown to them when you speak to someone on whatsapp is your google voice number and not your real number right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Since this has sort of become a WhatApp thread in the GV forum, I guess I'll just add this link, which has much of the same info as the other link I posted.

"How to Use WhatsApp Without a Phone Number"
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-...number-4781149

Has anyone here done this and it worked? I tried textnow and the number it gives me... either i don't get the number... or the number is a number so many people use where google voice will reject it...

Feedback Score
    Okay so can anyone tell me if there is a way to do this? What I want to do is use another whatsapp account and have it connect to a phone number that is unrelated to mine.

I did thought about just getting another google voice number with another google account. But the issue is I would need a real number to activate the google voice number. I do have two real numbers but do not want to use either of them to connect to it though. However, would it be no big issue?

Because when i create another whatsapp account, I can then just connect the google voice number to the whatsapp account? So that way there is privacy? But how is there privacy if I used one of my real numbers to activate that google voice number if you know what i mean? Or would that be fine? Again i want to use whatsapp anonymously with a second whatsapp account.

Feedback Score
    Okay so I went to my other google account to get another google voice number. I then put my other sim card number to get verification as when you get a new google voice number, you need a real number. I did this.

But then when i log into my google voice account, it shows I do not have a number? It does show the sms number i have linked to this account though. Is this some kind of glitch or something? When i then go to get a google voice number, i typed in the same area code of the google voice number i just got and picked another one. When i did this, it ask for number for sms verification... i put my same sms number that i just used it and it says doesn't work since i already used it? Well i then removed my sms number from the google voice account. I then tried to do same thing and it is the same error.

Can anyone explain this issue? Is this some sort of glitch? Again i typed an area code and picked a google number i want. Then i typed in my other sms number which i never used for google voice... then put the code in and get verified. So i figure when i check my google voice number now on the computer, it would show it... but it doesn't? It says i don't even have a google voice number? Can someone please explain what is the issue here? I thought i got a google voice number as i chosed one and verified it with that 6 digit code etc.

Feedback Score
    See: https://support.google.com/voice/thr...er-again?hl=en

Bluescat
    Diamond Product Expert
    Bluescat: jazz and blues music lover, and crazy cat lover.
    1/12/20

The reasons that Google accounts are not eligible to be assigned a Google Voice inbound telephone number include (but may not be limited to):

The submitted number is from a telephone carrier that is ineligible to be used to claim a Google Voice number. Submit a different forwarding phone number. The number you submit must be from one of the "big four" mobile carriers (AT&T Wireless, Sprint, T-Mobile or Verizon Wireless) or one of their subsidiary or re-seller brands, or from a traditional land line carrier such as AT&T, CenturyLink, Charter, Comcast, Frontier, Spectrum or Verizon.

The submitted number has been previously used by either you, or the previous user of that number, to request a Google Voice number. Submit a different number.
    You cannot delete a Google Voice number, expecting to then claim a different Google Voice number; your account will be blocked from doing so, as it would circumvent paying the number change fee.

The submitted number is outside the 48 contiguous US states. Submit a number from within the 48 contiguous US states. You cannot sign up for a Google Voice number, nor port in a number, while outside the USA.

You have tried to submit forwarding numbers too many times in a short period of time. Wait at least 24 hours before trying again.

Your Google account has been flagged for some violation of Google's Terms of Service or its Acceptable Use Policy. You are ineligible to get a Google Voice number.

These limitations are in place to protect the service from abuse. As such, to limit information which could be used to reverse-engineer the protections, Google will not provide any more-specific details on individual cases where a number request has been denied.

Feedback Score
    Do you have the option to request a phone # change from the carrier that has the # you're trying to use, to hopefully get a phone # that hasn't been used to claim a GV # in the past? That might be one solution.

Also, just to verify, you're trying to claim a GV # while you're in the US, correct?

If not, regarding getting another WhatsApp account, do you have payphones in your area, so you could try to "Use a payphone" as described in the first article I linked above?