Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Has unlocking changed with FCC approval?

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

Has unlocking changed with FCC approval?

This is from FCC's approval document:

"8. Unlocking Devices Commitment. Subject to certain conditions and limitations, Verizon
    commits to extending its 60-day unlocking period to all 700 MHz C Block devices purchased from
    TracFone after closing and activated on the Verizon network, subject to a two-year waiver of the
    automatic unlocking requirement to allow manual unlocking for those TracFone devices that currently do
    not have automatic unlocking capabilities. Verizon will provide notice to affected TracFone customers of
    its unlocking policy."

What does this mean? Is it all newly purchased phones or just some small subset?

Feedback Score
    Hope this 60 day unlocking policies is available and easy to use. I like to have my phones unlocked. This gives me options.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KSSteve View Post

"8. Unlocking Devices Commitment. Subject to certain conditions and limitations, Verizon
    commits to extending its 60-day unlocking period to all 700 MHz C Block devices purchased from
    TracFone after closing and activated on the Verizon network, subject to a two-year waiver of the
    automatic unlocking requirement to allow manual unlocking for those TracFone devices that currently do
    not have automatic unlocking capabilities. Verizon will provide notice to affected TracFone customers of
    its unlocking policy."

What does this mean? Is it all newly purchased phones or just some small subset?
    Just one of the many unanswered questions we have. Be nice is Verizon would put some kind of notice about the acquisition on TF website with updated policies.

Feedback Score
    To get an idea of the likely 'best case' scenario for future unlocking, read the Verizon Unlocking Policy. Of particular note to me is that there is a different category for "phone in a box" from 'certain' retail partners. (i.e., Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc.) Those phones have an additional, model specific, requirement for a fixed dollar amount of service added before they will be unlocked, with a label on the back of the box. My guess is that Verizon will follow the same policy for packaged Tracfones sold via 3rd parties, and will try to figure out a route to make it apply to the Tracfone Web Store as well, if the FCC doesn't hold their feet to the fire.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score

its unlocking policy."

verizon locks their newly purchased phones for 60 days, it's to help cut down on theft.
    after the 60 days, the phone will automatically unlock.

Feedback Score
    Visible another wholly owned Verizon MVNO till recently sent everything unlocked. Now they lock high value phones for 60 days (cheaper phones seem to still come unlocked).

I hope that's a sign when Verizon is on charge but I feel they will take a while to implement those policies and will only apply from certain future point forward.

I hope I am wrong as I am waiting for an iPhone XR to unlock in April.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    verizon locks their newly purchased phones for 60 days, it's to help cut down on theft.
    Postpaid. Another post mentioned the Verizon Prepaid unlocking policy. The one time I used it, it depended on so much being spent on the account, so unlocked faster on more expensive plans.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I think on postpaid too, it is to ensure that the phone payments have made it to a monthly bill and been paid.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Moto G Stylus (2021)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Different companies handle unlocking differently. Last year I bought two phones from Sprint to do their deals and they were automatically unlocked after 60 days of paid service. During this holiday season, there are quite a few phone deals from MetroPCS (a T-mo company now), Cricket, Boost, etc. MetroPCS will automatically unlock a phone after 6 months, even if you only paid for one month then put the phone away. Cricket requires 6 months of paid service to unlock. Boost requires 12 months of paid service to unlock.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What is the "700 MHz C Block"? Do most phones have it or is it obscure? I just bought a Tracfone Moto G Stylus to replace a phone aging out on ATT network, but I'm thinking of sending back because it's got a Verizon SIM and TF won't allow me to switch SIMS. I'd keep it if after 60 days it was unlockable.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    What is the "700 MHz C Block"? Do most phones have it or is it obscure? I just bought a Tracfone Moto G Stylus to replace a phone aging out on ATT network, but I'm thinking of sending back because it's got a Verizon SIM and TF won't allow me to switch SIMS. I'd keep it if after 60 days it was unlockable.
    All TF phones are shipped with TF/VZW sims now. Guess its Verizon's way of saying its my way or the highway.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL, iPhone SE, OnePlus Nord N200
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    700 MHz C Block refers to LTE band 13 which Verizon acquired in 2008. Every Verizon and TracFone Verizon LTE phone sold in at least the last 8 years supports band 13.

Back in 2008, when the FCC auctioned off the 700 Mhz C block they required Verizon to adhere to a number of conditions including:
    Allow customers to use any compatible device on the 700 Mhz C Block.
    Sell all 700 MHz C Block devices unlocked.

Verizon broke both conditions.
    They never allowed non-whitelisted devices to be activated directly, although most will work with a SIM activated with a whitelisted device's IMEI.
    They initially sold unlocked phones but after several years started requiring 60 days of postpaid or 3 - 12 months of prepaid service before a phone could be unlocked.

I don't trust Verizon to keep their promise to unlock after 60 days.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    I have purchased an A51 rewards plus the required plan. I would love to be able to unlock it in 60 days instead of one year.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If Tracfone does notify us that phones are unlockable, can that be done and keep Tracfone service with no interruption? (I know it's almost pointless since I have no immediate plans to leave, but there's a sort of libertarian streak in me that just doesn't like having my phone locked to one company.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    Of particular note to me is that there is a different category for "phone in a box" from 'certain' retail partners. (i.e., Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc.)
    Yep, "phone in a box" was a departure from previous Verizon unlocking policy mostly only sold in retail stores. These were lower end Prepaid phones they wanted to make some profit on after the discounting. I used one with a SIM unlock code, and a swapped TF/VZW SIM. Those codes became unavailable after a while, I assume from carrier objection. Mine was 1 year service or a ransom of something like $75.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast