Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Has unlocking changed with FCC approval?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    In the past transferred airtime did not count toward unlocking a new phone... transferred airtime only counted toward the old phone the airtime was originally added to.
    That's exactly why I am worried that the free AT&T replacement/upgrade phones that Tracfone so generously provided us, may never become eligible for unlocking. They will be activated on Verizon, but with a transfer. And they will be activated with "old" service.

Alex Trac - could we please get an answer? -- How can customers who transfer their existing TF-AT&T service to TF-Verizon get their "upgrade" phones unlocked? TIA.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone!)
    You can sign up for Red Pocket and get $25 off your monthly-plan order using my referral code. Feel free to PM me for the codes. Thank you!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    Thanks. The first people who will get unlocked will be 1/23 or 1/24, so we can't wait for hopefully your positive confirmation. These are all the scenarios I see that we're waiting to see what happens on day 61:

1) New phone on new line
    2) New phone with transfer activation with NO additional service
    3) New phone with transfer activation with 60 days additional service redeemed after activation
    4) Refurb phone on new line
    5) Refurb phone with transfer activation with NO additional service
    6) Refurb phone with transfer activation with 60 days additional service redeemed after activation

I believe there are several people here with the 'common scenario of #1, I have done both #2 and #3, and you are testing #4 I assume.
    Sillyette brings up another wrinkle to the transfer scenario. Her transfer is ATT to Verizon, mine is Verizon to Verizon. I’d bet her phone will unlock in 60 days, not so sure about mine.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

For reactivation are you setting up a new line on an inactive unlocked phone or transferring service to it?
    No transfers were involved. I don’t expect it will qualify as a new line. It’s a flip phone that I let service expire on after 6 months, because I wasn’t using it much. After 3 months being inactive, it got it’s old number back when I reactivated.

Feedback Score
    I suppose tracking _all_ the various flavors of the unlock is difficult because of all the various options.. For the phone it can

1) New
    2) Refurb (ie sold used from TracFone)
    3) Used (ie from private party)

And then you can

1) New line
    2a) Transfer activation without new service from Verizon to Verizon
    2b) Transfer activation without new service from TMO/ATT to Verizon
    3) Transfer activation with new service redeemed after transfer (and maybe A/B above matters too)

Replicate that for iPhone vs Android, too. Lots of variables!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    Alex Trac - could we please get an answer? -- How can customers who transfer their existing TF-AT&T service to TF-Verizon get their "upgrade" phones unlocked? TIA.
    Alex Trac responded to this post. Here's the PM I got, for whatever it is worth -

"Hi sillyette. This Alex from TracFone Wireless. For us to further explain your concern, we need to speak with you directly. Kindly chat with us at http://bit.ly/2qdrKHH. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST. You may also text the key word HELP to 611611 to view our self-service menu with a list of help key words with valuable information."

All I can say is - ha!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Alex had the information from the entire thread so that he could understand the problem.
    When you chat the CSR will have no background info on the problem.

Feedback Score
    Robot says your request does not compute!

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto G6, Moto E5 Play, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp,Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Well, if your unlock request is denied, I guess TF will let you know why it doesn't qualify.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. The first people who will get unlocked will be 1/23 or 1/24, so we can't wait for hopefully your positive confirmation. These are all the scenarios I see that we're waiting to see what happens on day 61:

1) New phone on new line
    2) New phone with transfer activation with NO additional service
    3) New phone with transfer activation with 60 days additional service redeemed after activation
    4) Refurb phone on new line
    5) Refurb phone with transfer activation with NO additional service
    6) Refurb phone with transfer activation with 60 days additional service redeemed after activation

I believe there are several people here with the 'common scenario of #1, I have done both #2 and #3, and you are testing #4 I assume.
    Ok, I have a scenario that may not be covered.

I just unlocked a TF branded Moto G6. The G6 was a Bundle purchased in 6/2020. I harvested the airtime and service days by activating it with a transfer from existing Verizon phone number. Used it for a couple of days and transferred back to original phone. It ha s been inactive ever since. My brother was getting the nag about his AT&T sim phone not working anymore. So, I dug the G6 out and removed it from my account. Added it to my brother's account and reactivated it with it's original Verizon sim and transferred his AT&T service. That was 2 days ago. Just for S&G I put the phone IMEI and phone number in the unlock site and SURPRISE it gave me the unlock codes.

Not sure how it qualified??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Ok, I have a scenario that may not be covered.

I just unlocked a TF branded Moto G6. The G6 was a Bundle purchased in 6/2020. I harvested the airtime and service days by activating it with a transfer from existing Verizon phone number. Used it for a couple of days and transferred back to original phone. It ha s been inactive ever since. My brother was getting the nag about his AT&T sim phone not working anymore. So, I dug the G6 out and removed it from my account. Added it to my brother's account and reactivated it with it's original Verizon sim and transferred his AT&T service. That was 2 days ago. Just for S&G I put the phone IMEI and phone number in the unlock site and SURPRISE it gave me the unlock codes.

Not sure how it qualified??
    Well, it shouldn't/wouldn't have qualified before the Verizon purchase. Either something has changed in what they're allowing, or you won the Tracfone lottery.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    Well, it shouldn't/wouldn't have qualified before the Verizon purchase. Either something has changed in what they're allowing, or you won the Tracfone lottery.
    I think I will buy a Powerball.

Feedback Score
    Tracfone lottery for sure, but maybe it qualified because of the bundle it came with? Somehow the one year got linked to the phone in Tracfone's database. Maybe the old unlocking rules still rule, since it isn't yet Jan 23.

Feedback Score
    Inspired by cv91913, I checked the Unlocking page on a bundled phone (1 year plan) that I initially activated some time ago, but transferred to a different phone before the 12 month period. It failed, as we would expect. I did not tray reactivating it to match cv91913's situation, though.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    So just to add a data point to this discussion, I bought a Trac iPhone SE with reward points awhile back (July maybe?). By pure chance I activated it on 11/23/21. Under Settings/General/About/Carrier Lock it says SIM locked (my unlocked iPhone 12 Mini says No Sim Restrictions)

I went to Trac’s unlock checking site: https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/wps/...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
    and entered the phone number and it says not eligible for unlocking.

I’m going to check it again tomorrow and if still not eligible I’ll try calling.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    In order to get 60 days unlock, does the person have to both buy and activate the phone after the November 23rd deadline?

If that's so then even if you activated November 23rd or later, if you bought the phone before November 23rd I guess it still wouldn't be able to be unlocked in 60 days.

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast