Thread: USB connecter will not stay connected in my phone like it use to

Feedback Score

USB connecter will not stay connected in my phone like it use to

Any tips on on making it a firm connection like it use to. If I move my phone around a little the connecter will disengage just a bit, when it use to not do that. It gets annoying while trying to charge

Feedback Score
    What type of USB port? Is it a newer type C (you can insert both ways) or Micro (it will only go in one way?)

If Micro, there are two little "feet" on the connector which get mashed down over time. You can use a small screwdriver or needle to lift the feet slightly. If type C, there is not much you can do because it is the port on the phone. Someone may have suggestions for a method for type C, I don't.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    After repeated inserting/disconnecting, some amount of wear will occur. If the wear is with the socket of your phone, not much you can do about it yourself. If the wear is on the cable's plug, perhaps try another cable.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Do you have access to a cell phone repair place. It’s pretty likely that the usb connector in the phone needs replaced or re-soldered.

Before you do that though get a bright light, small pick, and an alcohol pad to clean out the port and make sure it’s clear of debris and nice and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Pocket lint gets repeatedly compressed in the socket preventing full insertion. Take a paper clip/dental pick or similar object and carefully drag/scratch it out. It’s amazing how much gets in there.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know with microUSB, the port or cable wear out after about a year or two with me. I have found that a case that covers the ports makes the port last way longer, but the cable still has issue.

I have not used an USB-C device or cable long enough to know if it has the same issues. Plus I still do the same thing as microUSB devices. I get a case that covers the ports.

Feedback Score
    It's a USB-C

Toothbrush seemed to improve it a bit.

Feedback Score
    From personal experience:
    The connector on the phone is pretty forgiving. I once bought a used phone unaware that the elderly owner had damaged the connector, probably by trying to force a wrong cable on there a lot. The connector was kind of worn/mashed in places. My cheapo micro-to-c adapters would hardly stay on. So I tried a decent Monoprice c cable, and it was good. The better cables must have more robust connectors that can span more area or grip better.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper652 View Post
    It's a USB-C

Toothbrush seemed to improve it a bit.
    USB-C is smooth and doesn't have much to grip on. Micro-usb were a PITa on some devices as the prongs holding it in often ... didn't after a relatively short period of time.
    I ended up getting a USB magnetic connector with tips. They last a long time in general, (esp for micro-usb), and literally stay in your device (can be removed easy enough). It saved a lot on connecting/disconnecting on the device itself. With newer wireless charging, I'm less concerned about using it on my phone, but use it on my old Samsung tablet with micro-usb for this very reason. $12 will typically get you 3 cords, with 3 of each type of tip (usb-c, lightning and micro-usb) - make sure its QC-3.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    I just got a new charger and it fits in way better