Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: New phone being offered?

Feedback Score

New phone being offered?

I got the msg saying my current phone is incompatible even though it's actually a BYOD sim.
    When I chose a Samsung A21 it's auto selected to "I am upgrading my phone" and if I chose anything else they want me to pay the regular price. I thought I could open a 2nd line with the new phone and keep it active until it ca be unlocked but it looks like they won't let me do that.

So my main question is this: what happens if I select "I am upgrading"?
    Does the new phone get shipped using my original phone number?
    Does my current phone become inactive while the new phone is shipping?
    Can I simply activate a new line with the new phone when it comes and leave my current phone as it is?

Any thoughts , suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tjones262 View Post
    I got the msg saying my current phone is incompatible even though it's actually a BYOD sim.
    When I chose a Samsung A21 it's auto selected to "I am upgrading my phone" and if I chose anything else they want me to pay the regular price. I thought I could open a 2nd line with the new phone and keep it active until it ca be unlocked but it looks like they won't let me do that.

So my main question is this: what happens if I select "I am upgrading"?
    Does the new phone get shipped using my original phone number?
    Does my current phone become inactive while the new phone is shipping?
    Can I simply activate a new line with the new phone when it comes and leave my current phone as it is?

Any thoughts , suggestions?
    An A21 isn't compatible with what? It surely is compatible with Verizon.

I have not gone through the process, but it will probably go: New phone is shipped with its SIM. Your existing phone continues to work. When you receive the new phone you activate it with a transfer from your existing phone number and service units. You probably could activate it with a new number and pay for new service for it and the existing phone continues working unless it is actually incompatible and gets kicked off the network.

Is this an AT&T compatibility thing? Report have been coming in that they have started only allowing activations on Verizon.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    An A21 isn't compatible with what? It surely is compatible with Verizon.
    The OP has a (TF/AT&T?) BYOP SIM being used with an incompatible phone and was offered a replacement phone. The OP selected an A21 from TF web site.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tjones262 View Post
    Is the present BYOP phone running on Verizon? If using an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM they would not even know what phone it is to determine compatibility. Looks like the replacement discounted phone is being limited to a swap for the old one, rather than as a new purchase.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Is the present BYOP phone running on Verizon? If using an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM they would not even know what phone it is to determine compatibility. Looks like the replacement discounted phone is being limited to a swap for the old one, rather than as a new purchase.
    Last month, I had a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM being used in a phone that's not on AT&T post-3G list. TF offered me a $25 off on a new phone. I didn't bother with it because I can get many nicer phones for free with reward points. But I was surprised that they even made the offer to a BYOP SIM.

Feedback Score
    AT&T notices a problematic phone using the network. AT&T sends a memo to TF to alert the customer. TF sends a notice to the customer without being able to verify it (in my case, they are badgering me for no reason). TF is happy to offer a replacement phone that uses a Verizon sim. If you swap phones via a transfer, you are likely stuck with Verizon, unless you can figure something out. AT&T would probably prefer that you simply swap your sim into another phone, preserving the AT&T connection. But TF maybe can tell that the new phone's Verizon sim was never activated (if they know what phone you actually received, doubtful), and make trouble for you since you accepted a coupon.

I have declined the coupon deal because I don't like their traps or their phones. My phone was wrongly flagged anyway. Its sister phone was not flagged.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Last month, I had a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM being used in a phone that's not on AT&T post-3G list. TF offered me a $25 off on a new phone. I didn't bother with it because I can get many nicer phones for free with reward points. But I was surprised that they even made the offer to a BYOP SIM.
    AT&T is feeding information to TF so TF can alert customers about non-compliant phones being detected on the network. TF sees this as an opportunity to bribe customers into a coupon deal for a substitute Verizon phone. I don't think TF cares how you got your AT&T sim. They just don't want you to keep it by simply swapping it into another phone. If you swap it into a coupon phone, maybe something will eventually hit the fan, don't know. It depends on how well TF is paying attention.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power, Samsung A50
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Total Wireless, Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah it's weird because you actually select "upgrade" and your telephone number is listed there when you purchase the phone. This is a fairly new option since that website was redone recently. Have to find someone who did this to see if the upgrade is done automatically on tracfone's end.

Feedback Score
    If using an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM they would not even know what phone it is to determine compatibility.
    They Know...

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like a forced transition from AT&T to Verizon. They say your phone with AT&T SIM is soon to become non-compliant, they sell you a compliant phone... that comes with a Verizon SIM. They do not allow you to activate the phone with AT&T or T-Mobile service. If you do not have Verizon service to use for 60 days, you cannot get it unlocked to use elsewhere.
    What am I missing in my write-up?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    If using an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM they would not even know what phone it is to determine compatibility.
    They know. I activated 3 BYOP TF/AT&T SIMs a few months ago. When I ported them out to Visible, on two lines TF had used the IMEI of the BYOP phone as the account number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    AT&T is feeding information to TF so TF can alert customers about non-compliant phones being detected on the network. TF sees this as an opportunity to bribe customers into a coupon deal for a substitute Verizon phone. I don't think TF cares how you got your AT&T sim. They just don't want you to keep it by simply swapping it into another phone. If you swap it into a coupon phone, maybe something will eventually hit the fan, don't know. It depends on how well TF is paying attention.
    After dealing with TF over the last couple of days, I think TF is using the AT&T Non-compliant issue as a way to get AT&T sims off their network. I have a TF branded Moto Power which is a DL model that should work with any of the carriers, much like the "coupon" phones being offered. It is an inactive device at this time. I have tested AT&T and TMobile sims in the Power and they sorta work. It really seems to depend on the phone the AT&T or TMobile sim came out of. Here is an example:

One of the phones being offered the "coupon" is a Samsung Galaxy S3. Of course it is not compatible because it does not support VoLTE or WiFi-Calling. It is listed in the account with a Phone icon and if you text Four to 611611 it comes back with the IMEI of the S3. I took the sim out and put it into the Power. Basic stuff worked but VoLTE could not be activated. If I text Four with the sim in the Power, it still comes back with the IMEI of the S3. To setup WiFi-Calling you have to setup the e-911 address. Part of that process is the last 4 from 611611. Well, it sees the S3 and says the phone does not support WiFi-Calling. I also believe the link to the S3 is why VoLTE is not available.

So, I know that my TMobile sim works and WiFi-Calling and VoLTE both work. I decided to just transfer everything to a T-Mobile sim but this is where TF will get ya. They will not allow an activation of a T-Mobile or AT&T sim using the IMEI of a TF Branded phone. Gotcha!

It is possible that you may be able to swap a T-Mobile or AT&T sim into one of these coupon phones but there is no guarantee it will function fully. And, you won't get any help from TF.

Feedback Score
    I selected upgrade and took an ATT $75 off offer earlier this week. The new phone arrives tomorrow. My expectation is that I will activate with transfer and until then the current phone works. I don't use that phone that often but I will double check for the forum tomorrow.

EDIT: As expected, my existing phone works fine, my new phone is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'll let it sit for a few days but as I kind of guessed 'upgrade' doesn't really mean anything different for ordering a phone?
    Last edited by pitflyer; 12-22-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Feedback Score
    People need to check the AT&T lists and verify their phone's status. Don't rely on TF's information. They are wrong about my phone.

It is probably better to source a compliant phone elsewhere than to take TF's coupon bribe. You will likely get a better phone anyway.

If you can't use Verizon, ignore the coupon bribe or you will be SOL if they force you to switch.

Feedback Score
    Both my ATT lines now have this obviously broken banner message: "You?re eligible for a free phone offer ? applies to selected models" (exactly what it says) where before it would say the amount. The first one, where I used the offer for $75, no longer shows any discount -- which is obviously fair. The second one, where I haven't used the offer, shows a discount of $50 when I go to the shop site and enter the number. I don't plan to take advantage again, however.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast