Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unlocking - I hope my reasoning is NOT correct!

Feedback Score

Unlocking - I hope my reasoning is NOT correct!

So I have been reading and re-reading the unlocking rules at https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/wps/portal/home to figure out what happens in the following situation, because it doesn’t seem to be covered under any of the conditions for non-Apple devices.

Here’s what I am puzzling over:
    What happens to a Tracfone-branded Android phone that is activated with a transfer, say today?

I am thinking that such a phone can never be unlocked, because it wasn’t activated “with new service on Verizon” – it was activated with “old service” since it was activated with a transfer.

Is my reasoning correct?

And if it is correct, then the free replacement phones that those of us with AT&T byop incompatible phones got – if we activate them with a transfer from our existing AT&T service, they will never be eligible for unlocking. And therefore always locked to Tracfone/Verizon, even though they are theoretically DL phones.

Thinking about it some more – the same thing will happen if someone TRANSFERS service to an iPhone purchased today – will it remain locked to Tracfone/Verizon forever?
    Scary!
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code RBKV-896C. You get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone! and you get a huge thank-you for helping me!

To those who already have Tracfone - this Holiday season, please consider using my referral code (instead of doing a self-referral) if you sign up for new service - you’ll get great karma! and my eternal gratitude!

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    You're over-thinking it. Just add at least 60 days of service (purchased or redeemed points) after activation (with a transfer) and it should qualify for unlocking after 60 days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    You're over-thinking it. Just add at least 60 days of service (purchased or redeemed points) after activation (with a transfer) and it should qualify for unlocking after 60 days.
    I hope you're right.
    It says the device needs to be ACTIVATED with new Verizon service, which is the scary part to me, because it may give them wiggle-room if they want to be wiggly about it!

Feedback Score
    I have a Tracfone Moto G power that I bought from HSN last March. I looked into unlocking it and was told it was not eligible for unlocking. I checked with a link provided here on HOFO a couple of weeks ago.

Feedback Score
    this is the link I checked it with:
    https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kc classic View Post
    I have a Tracfone Moto G power that I bought from HSN last March. I looked into unlocking it and was told it was not eligible for unlocking. I checked with a link provided here on HOFO a couple of weeks ago.
    If it came with a bundled 1-yr of service and units, and you activated it in March 2021, check again in March 2022 near the 360-day mark.

Feedback Score
    Only phones activated after Nov 23 are eligible for 60 day unlocks. Plenty of people on this forum have done after that so we will see in late January.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    I hope you're right.
    It says the device needs to be ACTIVATED with new Verizon service, which is the scary part to me, because it may give them wiggle-room if they want to be wiggly about it!
    I read the new policy more closely. There's no mention of "paid service" any more. If you want to experiment, activate a phone with a transfer that has more than 60 days of service.

* If the phone is unlocked after 60 days, then the new policy is "nicer" than the old policy which required paid service.

* If the phone is not unlocked after 60 days, and you still want to unlock it, transfer service to another phone, then re-activate the desired phone with a new line and a time card with 60 days or more.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I transferred my main service line from a Moto e6 to an eBay bundle LG Rebel k31 and was planning on keeping it active for the whole year so I can unlock the LG.

I was sort of pleased with the Rebel at first, but compared to other phones it hasn't been doing that well. It's raining here and the Wifi is not working very well if at all in my location far from the hub (apartment complex, hub belongs to them) so I switched mobile data on. The Rebel still will not do the mobile net. Google Drive & Docs won't load.

My unlocked Moto E however is working well on WiFi, same frequency as the LG (2.4ghz) and much faster action. My TF Optimo Maxx also is doing well. Haven't tried my TF Moto E or Moto Power yet.

I'm thinking it isn't worth suffering a poor performance phone for a year just to unlock it.

I'm thinking it would be better to transfer the service to one of my other TracFones and forget unlocking.

However if I want to keep the LG tel#, I'll lose the privilege of unlocking the phone I transfer to. I was thinking of transferring to the TF Moto E I just activated for a year.

Sent from my moto e using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    . The Rebel still will not do the mobile net.
    Before giving up on the k31 rebel, you might try doing a Network Settings Reset. It's in the System part of the settings menu.

Not on the same phone, but the network reset fixed mobile data for me on a line I was having trouble with recently.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    I hope you're right.
    Actually, if you're switching from AT&T service to Verizon service in the transfer/activation process, you should be 100% in the clear for 60 day unlocking because it's new VERIZON service.

My case is Verizon to Verizon transfer/activation and I think the worst case possible is they claim that falls under the old 360 day unlock policy.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone confirmed that a phone can be unlocked after adding service time with (partly or mostly) rewards points?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eohippus View Post
    Has anyone confirmed that a phone can be unlocked after adding service time with (partly or mostly) rewards points?
    I think pitflyer has one like that coming up for unlocking at end of this month. We'll find out soon.

Feedback Score
    Yup due tomorrow by the 360 day clock. Been checking every day for about a week and hasn't cleared yet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I think pitflyer has one like that coming up for unlocking at end of this month. We'll find out soon.
    Thanks! I have a few phones that I got with rewards points. I activated them with $10 plans, then added 90 day plans with rewards points, gambling a little, hoping they will be able to be unlocked, but I have to wait until July to unlock.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast