Thread: any tracfone company service for any tracfone company device?

Feedback Score

any tracfone company service for any tracfone company device?

(Not sure for board placement. There are separate boards for Tracfone and for Page Plus Cellular. Changing board for this topic?)

Is this correct:
    Customer may buy a tracfone prepaid device and ACTIVATE it for service with Page Plus Cellular?
    Customer may buy a Page Plus Cellular device, but ACTIVATE it for service with Tracfone?
    Customer may buy ANY prepaid device for any Tracfone company, for ANY Tracfone company, but ACTIVATE it for service on either Tracfone OR Page Plus Cellular?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    (Not sure for board placement. There are separate boards for Tracfone and for Page Plus Cellular. Changing board for this topic?)

Is this correct:
    Customer may buy a tracfone prepaid device and ACTIVATE it for service with Page Plus Cellular?
    Customer may buy a Page Plus Cellular device, but ACTIVATE it for service with Tracfone?
    Customer may buy ANY prepaid device for any Tracfone company, for ANY Tracfone company, but ACTIVATE it for service on either Tracfone OR Page Plus Cellular?
    Between Tracfone and Page Plus yes. Straight Talk maybe also. I sort of recall that there was one of the TF family brands that did not work this way.

There is also the new aspect of Verizon owning the Tracfone brands. They really want everything on the Verizon network. I would not plan on a phone from a TF brand that uses T-Mobile to go smoothly, if at all, switching around. There is a lot of we don't know for sure at this point.

From personal experience, the SIM is the same between Tracfone, Page Plus, and Straight Talk. They are all labeled Tracfone. Which service you get and pay for depends on which service you activate it on. There have been reports of bad consequences when switching a SIM between devices, but that was not your question.

Feedback Score
    I think Simple Mobile was the only TF brand which wouldn't work with the sim that comes in it since it's T-Mobile.
    You can add TotalWireless to the TF, ST, PP list since it's Vzw only. Maybe Net10 too, but not sure what they're coming with now.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I've used Total Wireless and Straight Talk phones on Page Plus Cellular, so when you combine that with what we know about bringing those first two brands to TracFone, it's pretty clear things are okay between devices meant for VZW service in the TF family. . The SIM cards as well. The only outlier is Simple Mobile and that caution is mostly aimed at the SIM cards, since they're for T-mobile. It's likely most SM phones are DL models too (at least the more recent ones, since maybe 2018 or 19 - best to check the model no. of course), and thus would work on the other services too.

Feedback Score
    (?) What does "DL" stand for?

(?) In case one finds a Tracfone prepaid device on the shelf in a retail store, how does he know if it will or will not work to activate it on Page Plus Cellular service? Person would not be on a computer connected to internet; he is at a retail store and is looking at a packaged device there. No good to buy the device to bring it home and turn on computer and visit web page to put in IMEI to check if the Tracfone device is good on PPC. Consider: Device there in the store MIGHT be the person's first phone and he does not even yet have a "smartphone" with a data plan or on wifi.
    --
    But otherwise, nice to know that most Tracfone company prepaid devices can be activated on almost any Tracfone service - except for Simple Mobile.

Feedback Score

(?) In case one finds a Tracfone prepaid device on the shelf in a retail store, how does he know if it will or will not work to activate it on Page Plus Cellular service? Person would not be on a computer connected to internet; he is at a retail store and is looking at a packaged device there. No good to buy the device to bring it home and turn on computer and visit web page to put in IMEI to check if the Tracfone device is good on PPC. Consider: Device there in the store MIGHT be the person's first phone and he does not even yet have a "smartphone" with a data plan or on wifi.
    --
    But otherwise, nice to know that most Tracfone company prepaid devices can be activated on almost any Tracfone service - except for Simple Mobile.
    I don't know what DL stands for. What it means is that it is a Tracfone model that can be used with any of the three carriers, but is locked to TF brands as the service provider for one year or now 90 days. I think the model is on the box with the IMEI, etc. If the box says something about being able to use it on all the best US carriers, or something like that, it is a DL model.

Whether you can find the model number with DL is pretty irrelevant. All of the TF models shipped in the past few years have been DL models. If it is a DL model that is not branded Simple Mobile it will work on PP which uses Verizon. Just ignore the instructions to go to or call Tracfone to activate. Go to the PP web site to activate it.

You could write down the IMEI on the box or take a picture, if they will let you - they shouldn't, but who knows. Then take the IMEI home or to the library and check it for activation eligibility.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    This is the type of thing that has been quite well discussed over the years here. Without getting into it too in-depth, if you've got any TF subsidiary brand device sold since smartphones came of age for the company, find its actual model number. The last two characters indicate its compatibility (or lack thereof) with legacy-CDMA or legacy-GSM primary carriers. Because of how the various TF subsidiaries used to sell phones (devices were at one point largely one tech-type or the other, just like those for the major carriers), we came to be familiar with using that nomenclature to help determine how we might use a device with a different carrier, either after a potential SIM unlock, or with a different TF BYOP SIM.

'DL' is the designation for the most versatile device, that can be used with either the VZW/legacy-CDMA type networks (pretty sure it didn't/doesn't include Sprint - they've got more wacky bands to deal with), or the AT&T/T-Mobile/legacy-GSM networks.

The only other designation I've ever heard mentioned is 'BL,' which is for T-Mobile (and maybe AT&T, restricting it to the older bands that carrier used).

There are, I believe, designations for more than just that, but I'll leave it to someone with more solid info to chime in with.

This is just a more modern incarnation of the older, pre-smartphone designations in the TF model numbers, where they ended in either 'G' (for GSM; T-Mo or AT&T) or 'C' (for CDMA; VZW and maybe at some point Sprint).

My Moto G Power 2020's model number is XT-2041DL. To my knowledge the 'DL' was the only widespread indication for a device (smartphone) intended to be used on VZW, but there may have been another more exclusive one like 'VL.' Not sure about that.

Pro tip: Anyone who buys a phone from another TF subsidiary intending for it to be used on PPC and takes it home (assuming it's their first phone), is going to need (among other things) either some connected device to buy and apply airtime, or a working voice phone (indeed, to activate your PPC account), as they'll have to interface at least once with a live PPC rep to get things setup (phone call or online chat).

I hope I got all that correct and in proper context for what was covered.

bobdevnul is correct with all he covered (and thank you).

There's a theory that 'DL' stands for 'dual-LTE' or something along those lines, thus being the one that works with both of the major network legacy standards.

I don't know if it holds true today, but some TF retail phone boxes (and maybe those crime-fighting substitute hanging cards in some big-box stores) did have the official model number on them.

Feedback Score

--
    for the situation you describe its probably best to stick with the brand the person intends to use or possibly only buy if a return is possible. even though phones have worked across brands things can always change at any time. with a new owner(Verizon) i would expect many changes to come in the near and mid term future for tracfone.

Feedback Score
    whacker, this part I don't exactly understand:
    There's a theory that 'DL' stands for 'dual-LTE' or something along those lines, thus being the one that works with both of the major network legacy standards.

I don't know if it holds true today, but some TF retail phone boxes (and maybe those crime-fighting substitute hanging cards in some big-box stores) did have the official model number on them.
    In case DL stands for Dual LTE, should this mean the device is supposed to be activatable on any of Verizon, TMobile, or ATT networks?

I do not know what you mean with "crimefighting handinghanging cards".

I still should review your posting #7 more to try to understand other stuff you said.

edit: I came back to rectify a spelling mistake.
    Last edited by joseg2016; 12-27-2021 at 08:57 PM. Reason: correction to spelling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    for the situation you describe its probably best to stick with the brand the person intends to use or possibly only buy if a return is possible. even though phones have worked across brands things can always change at any time. with a new owner(Verizon) i would expect many changes to come in the near and mid term future for tracfone.
    robbyrobby,
    Thanks for the advice or the warning.

One will notice, upon startingup or turning on a Page Plus Cellular Device, the introducing splash screen announces, 'Tracfone'. Also some discussions have indicated the interplay possible between Tracfone prepay devices and service with PPC.

I have this idea for something to try, but decided I should ask about it first, on some online forum who are not trying to follow some kind of official programmed script:
    I may see a desirable Tracfone prepaid device in a retail store, with the branding as "Tracfone", and now with better insight from some members here, I might like to if it is permitted or ethically acceptable, look on the package, find the IMEI of the packaged device, use whatever smartphone I have carried with me which may be either on wifi or using cellular data, find the IMEI-checking page for PPC and put in the IMEI of the packaged device, and let the page tell me if PPC will accept the device for activation on PPC.

In the past, just a few years ago, I did in fact purchase a new Tracfone prepaid device (my first smartphone), took it home, and according to included written instruction, called the given telephone number of Tracfone in order to activate service. No usage of any internet for that done. Only did through the telephone number on the printed Tracfone instructions.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    About 'DL,' yes - every legacy-network type (VZW and AT&T/T-Mo). It doesn't, however, account for every radio band category in use by all of those primary carriers. You'd be wise to check the model for how up-to-date it is for a given carrier. Maybe a particular 'DL' phone doesn't have T-Mobile's Band 71 or whatever. But does have enough of their other bands to work under the right conditions.

In big-box stores (at least in the small-town mostly rural area I live in) they no longer have the actual physical phones hanging on the pegs in the display areas. Too many crafty shoplifters. Thus they have reverted to using hanging picture cards with the phone's picture and specs and pricing. You can take that off the peg and go pester the hard-to-find sales people to see if they'll show you one or check stock on it.

Additional: The way I look at all the device offerings from all the TF companies is, those devices represent ones that have been whitelisted (and loaded with some firmware tweaking and bloatware) for use on TF companies as a group. There is no separate whitelist for TF, one for Net10, one for PPC, one for Straight Talk, etc..

Feedback Score
    Any TF brand being sold now at a big box is a DL (even SimpleMobile). But you don't want that because it has a TMobile sim and even says it on the front of the box.
    For all the other brands just look for the red map that says "Amerca's Largest and Most Reliable 4GLTE Network" on the front of the box and your good. Done.
    The last thing you want to do is buy a phone from PagePlus. You'll be shipped a TF and pay more.
    Last edited by rpz1; 12-28-2021 at 12:11 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the prices charged for phones on the PPC website are the worst of any of the other TF subsidiaries, for the same models. Very curious how they justify that (not that any time is spent on that). Consider the incredible bundle deals offered by HSN and TF's eBay store, with plan units included (which of course cannot be used on PPC). Then compare to the PPC site. Shouldn't be touched with a 10-ft. pole! Regularly cruise the Straight Talk and Total Wireless sites for phones to use on PPC, if you're looking for new stock.