Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 5g service. Will it become mandatory anytime soon to have a 5g capable phone?

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

5g service. Will it become mandatory anytime soon to have a 5g capable phone?

If so, any recommendation for TF phones with 5g capability? Lower priced phones are usually what I buy (under $100 if possible). I prefer Motorola phones currently but any decent TracFone. Thanks.

The ironic part is that I get so-so Verizon signal here, and if 5g devices become mandatory, I probably won't get 5g service anyway.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Mandatory? Unlikely the 4G networks will be shut down for many years to come. You may want a 5G phone at some point before that, but keep in mind they will continue to get better and cheaper with time and technological improvements. I wouldn't bother until you feel the need arise.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arny56 View Post
    Mandatory? Unlikely the 4G networks will be shut down for many years to come. You may want a 5G phone at some point before that, but keep in mind they will continue to get better and cheaper with time and technological improvements. I wouldn't bother until you feel the need arise.
    Well, hopefully my 4g devices will be ok if I don't buy a 5g capable phone. Particularly since 4g is currently the best I can do in my location.

If I get any more phones from TF, I want to be able to unlock them for use elsewhere in case I have to switch service providers. I figured I should choose one that can do 5g.

Currently I'm on TF/VZ, Red Pocket/T-Mobile $30/year, and H20/AT&T $10/90 days for a flip phone.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I hardly use any data, so data speed is not important to me. A 4G phone will work for me until they drop 4G.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Like others have already mentioned, 4G isn't going anywhere soon. While it may already be in development, 6G cellular networks are not likely to show up for more than a few years from now and that is pure speculation at this point.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    In my opinion, we will still see 4G for at least another 3 to 5 years, maybe up to 8 years. Then we will start seeing for the need to drop 4G.

Then again, some areas might be fine with 4G.

Plus 6G is not prime for use yet. They are just testing things out still.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    If so, any recommendation for TF phones with 5g capability? Lower priced phones are usually what I buy (under $100 if possible). I prefer Motorola phones currently but any decent TracFone. Thanks.

The ironic part is that I get so-so Verizon signal here, and if 5g devices become mandatory, I probably won't get 5g service anyway.
    LTE is expected to be around for years. My guess is something like ten years. My guess is that it may be a disadvantage to not have a 5G phone in about five years. By that time 5G phones will probably be the norm and not priced at a premium.

I expect that we will have plenty of notice, by following cell-tech in places like this, when LTE starts dwindling away. The cell-tech media/press bloviating nitwits have been hyping 5G for years. If you believed them, you needed a 5G phone five years ago before the first 5G was put on the air.

If ones hobby is speed testing for the highest speed cootie points, they need a 5G phone now. Personally, I could not care less if my phone gets 10 Mbps or 500 for now. I touch an icon and it works. I don't need a speed test for that.

Feedback Score
    Since Nationwide 5G isn't much different then 4G/LTE and uses the same bands I don't see it going away soon enough to need a 5G phone now. Unless you're in an urban area that has uwb 5G or the c-band 5G just starting to be deployed. Even that's suppose to take a couple years to complete. And those aren't your regular 5G phones you'll ever see at your price point.
    As was mentioned, plenty of time and prices will come down.

Feedback Score
    Something not mentioned here so far but mentioned in other 5G threads. There is no 5G uniform standards. A phone might work on 1 or 2 carriers 5G networks but will not work on all 3 (AT&T, VZW, TM) 5G networks.

So hopefully I can hold out upgrading to 5G until there is a universal standard for all 3 networks.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 01.18.22

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    What is this obsession with paying such a higher price for speed you don`t need? Promoting "new" is just a ploy to separate you from your money.
    Hold off until they offer a free 5G replacement for your soon-to-be-obsolete 4G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    What is this obsession with paying such a higher price for speed you don`t need? Promoting "new" is just a ploy to separate you from your money.
    Hold off until they offer a free 5G replacement for your soon-to-be-obsolete 4G.
    Agree 100% with 5G being a ploy to fleece customers!
    And lol, I LOVED the last sentence of your post!
    Last edited by sillyette; 12-28-2021 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code RBKV-896C. You get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone! and you get a huge thank-you for helping me!

To those who already have Tracfone - this Holiday season, please consider using my referral code (instead of doing a self-referral) if you sign up for new service - you’ll get great karma! and my eternal gratitude!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    People who watch some commercial TV are being bombarded every day, several times a day, with persuasive 5G hype from Verizon and T-Mo. That's mostly the point of advertising - to persuade you to buy things you don't need.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    People who watch some commercial TV are being bombarded every day, several times a day, with persuasive 5G hype from Verizon and T-Mo. That's mostly the point of advertising - to persuade you to buy things you don't need.
    Are you suggesting that At&t isn't pushing 5G technology and only Verizon and T-Mobile are ???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Are you suggesting that At&t isn't pushing 5G technology and only Verizon and T-Mobile are ???
    AT&T too. I had forgotten about the Lilly ads.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    AT&T too. I had forgotten about the Lilly ads.
    OK, just checking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast