Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When is Tmobile dropping 3G?

Feedback Score

When is Tmobile dropping 3G?

I read today that Tmobile is dropping 3G on 7/1. Is that correct?

Assuming that is true...
    My wife has a unlocked LG G7 Fit without Volte. It is on ATT and will go dead on 2/1. I bought her a unlocked Pixel 3, but she has a habit of breaking phones, so I figure I will have her use the LG as long as possible (might as well break that...)
    I also have a TM sim good for 6 months. TM is much cheaper than ATT, but it has spotty coverage around here and i wanted to put it in a spare phone and see how it works. (the sim was only $55)
    So, can I put it in her Pixel 3 until her LG goes dead, and then just swap sims and have both work?
    I don't know why that would be a problem, but really don't know much about phones and thought I should ask before I ruin anything.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It is true that T-Mobile is dropping 3G. I wasn't sure when. I didn't realize that the LG G7 lacked VoLTE, only LTE for data, but it soon will be a fancy paperweight.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tollerphoner View Post
    I read today that Tmobile is dropping 3G on 7/1. Is that correct?

Assuming that is true...
    My wife has a unlocked LG G7 Fit without Volte. It is on ATT and will go dead on 2/1. I bought her a unlocked Pixel 3, but she has a habit of breaking phones, so I figure I will have her use the LG as long as possible (might as well break that...)
    I also have a TM sim good for 6 months. TM is much cheaper than ATT, but it has spotty coverage around here and i wanted to put it in a spare phone and see how it works. (the sim was only $55)
    So, can I put it in her Pixel 3 until her LG goes dead, and then just swap sims and have both work?
    I don't know why that would be a problem, but really don't know much about phones and thought I should ask before I ruin anything.
    3G 4/1/22 unless they have revised the date that I did not hear about.
    2G 1/1/23, but you can't count on 2G for service. It only exists on ~1/3 of T-Mo's network and any location with it can get turned off at any time.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/t-mo...-date_id134159

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    It is true that T-Mobile is dropping 3G. I wasn't sure when. I didn't realize that the LG G7 lacked VoLTE, only LTE for data, but it soon will be a fancy paperweight.
    T-Mobile 2G is still there and will stay for long.
    Even no 3G , it rolls back to 2G for voice.
    Att LG G7 is easy to flash generic or T-Mobile version firmware to let it get VoLTE

Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G, Galaxy Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    That date may be right but it something (or one thing) they are behind on because of Dish. They have to keep services available as Dish finishes transitioning its new customers. Dish has been slow moving with it.. (purposely I think) even made a deal also with AT&T.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
    Helio Touch...

Feedback Score
    My Lumia 640 and Lumia 640 XL both stopped working on T-Mobile.

I'm in southeast lower Michigan.
    Oakland County.
    I don't know if location has anything to do with the loss of T-Mobile service on either phone or not.

Both had been originally AT&T phones and they were unlocked.
    But they were working great on T-Mobile for years.

I had a prepaid Legacy Gold Rewards SIM in one and a T-Mobile post paid family plan SIM in the other one.

I put the prepaid Legacy Gold SIM in a Duro 7050 Tracfone flip which out of the box is unlocked for T-Mobile. Micro SIM. It works great on T-Mobile service now.

The post paid SIM I had to have switched to a nano SIM and I have it in my OnePlus Nord N10 5G.

Sent from my Powerfully Majestic Moto G Power

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

When is Tmobile dropping 3G?

Here in the Mojave Desert region of SoCal both 3G and 2G work great.

Good call quality, coverage and battery life.

I know GSM is over PCS but man I’ve been able to use it in some pretty remote areas.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    My local market has just gone through 5G upgrades which has included converting the Sprint keep sites to T-Mo proper. In their wisdom, T-Mo never deployed 3G here, it was 2G -> 4G and even after the recent upgrades there still isn't 3G which isn't surprising given the sunset date is so close.

Looks like you'll have to bite the bullet and get your wife a VoLTE capable phone and a rugged case for it!

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Here in the Mojave Desert region of SoCal both 3G and 2G work great.

Good call quality, coverage and battery life.

I know GSM is over PCS but man I’ve been able to use it in some pretty remote areas.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Yeah, it's still active here. It might have something to do with the amount of spectrum here in SoCal. I'll be curious to see if the GSM only site is still up in Gaviota, which was GPRS/GSM.. not even EDGE

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Att LG G7 is easy to flash generic or T-Mobile version firmware to let it get VoLTE
    I have never heard of this! My wife loves her phone. How do I flash it generic?
    Thanks much.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tollerphone View Post
    Thanks much.
    If you never heard, it is not for you.
    You may need to pay LG phone expert to do

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Not sure about what is being cut in each area, but it looks like an update to coverage maps. 5g and ultra capacity are now in Solvang. Interesting that it looks as if 2g service is gone from Gaviota, but might actually be 3g service thats gone. Only lte and 2g exist from Goleta to Gaviota. Simi Valley finally gets on the map, and Fillmore to Ventura is mostly filled in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Not sure about what is being cut in each area, but it looks like an update to coverage maps. 5g and ultra capacity are now in Solvang. Interesting that it looks as if 2g service is gone from Gaviota, but might actually be 3g service thats gone. Only lte and 2g exist from Goleta to Gaviota. Simi Valley finally gets on the map, and Fillmore to Ventura is mostly filled in.
    2G service won't be gone , it will stay much longer after 3G shutdown, it only can be shrink, it won't get expanded as well

Last edited by Androided; 01-01-2022 at 10:47 AM.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    2G 1/1/23, but you can't count on 2G for service. It only exists on ~1/3 of T-Mo's network and any location with it can get turned off at any time.
    And what there is of it often is just a thin, vestigial, layer hiding in the guard band of LTE band 2. This is intended primarily for legacy M2M applications and not for actual cellular calls or data.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tollerphone View Post
    Thanks much.
    The process is not for the faint of heart. It has to be done exactly step-by-step correctly. Otherwise, you can brick the phone such that it will never work again. This is not something to flail about with.

I'm pretty tech adept and managed to semi-break a Samsung the first time I tried it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast