Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: reconditioned iPhone 12 month unlock?

Feedback Score

reconditioned iPhone 12 month unlock?

Just tried calling in about unlocking a refurb iPhone (SE 2020). 12 months. Or $300-something.
    If they don't change their tune in the next couple of months, what's the next step to get them to look at this?

There is nothing in their new policy about unlocking a refurb that they sell.

I understand they may not want someone activating a recently used device to "get around" the 12 months that was previously in play, but this would seem to be a slightly different scenario as TracFone themselves sold the device.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...2#post17198322

..."For Apple devices activated with new TracFone service"...
    edit: source https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/wps/portal/home

To me, that does not leave them any room to wiggle on the device being new or not. It is new service, regardless of device being new or used. Technically, it must also be purchased from TracFone, per the FCC document.

Extend its 60-day unlocking period to all 700 MHz C Block devices purchased from
    TracFone
    after closing and activated on the Verizon network;
    edit: source https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachme...C-378084A1.pdf

IMO, they have to unlock these refurbs after 60 days. They sold the phone.
    If they don't, I'm sure the FCC would be interested in hearing about it.

Feedback Score
    Did they explicitly tell you that because its a reconditioned phone (from them) that the 60 day unlock doesn't apply, and the 365 day policy applies? I wonder if then they will use that logic for any activation with transfer too as that is not brand new service (ie they only consider it for new phone AND new line).

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, iPhone SE 2, iPhone SE 1, Samsung A51, Samsung A20
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have one that should unlock in less than a month so I'll see then. I don't trust anything they say.

Sounds like they are talking about new tracfone service not new phones. I did create a new line so I think I really fit that definition. But I imagine two months paid service should do it... I don't know.

And it states "all apple devices" before.. and we could unlock refurbed ones before in 12 months... so It's not "all apple devices after".?.. and they'll get away with that?

But we'll see. I expect mine to unlock automatically at end of January.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. Will keep an eye on the forum. Hopefully they auto-unlock.

No, the agent didn't say anything other than what they could see based on the IMEI. That it had a full 12 months or "about $300" (I didn't write down the exact amount).

The key wording in my case is that the device was purchased "From TracFone." And it was after the merger agreement which should mean it's unlocked after 60 days.

Again, I can absolutely see them not allowing people to deactivate and then activate a device that was already on the 12 month timer.
    However, when they sell a device and new service is added/started, that should mean 60 days. Period.

So if they don't unlock, what's next? FCC complaint?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if they are just seeing the old rules...

Because even if you put in a brand new TF branded phone recently activated with new line that meets 60 day unlock on automated site.. it will tell you it's not eligible and you need 12 months. Nothing about 2 months. No way this phone does not meet the rules.

Maybe they haven't update system yet since no phone will meet that anyway until on or after January 23rd.

Feedback Score
    Where's that bot Alex when we need him?

Curiously, the refurbished iPhone SE2s have been missing from their phones for sale list for a week or so. Not just "out of stock" as with the new ones, but just plain missing.

Feedback Score
    Looks like if you activated WITH NEW SERVICE after 11-23-21, it should unlock after 60 days.

The new unlock policy doesn't seem to address what will happen if I activate by transferring my existing service into the phone and add 2 months' service to it.
    Tracfone rewards referral code SPUP-F34C gives 8,000 points to new rewards members at rewards.tracfone.com or in the Tracfone App.

Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drooper View Post

Curiously, the refurbished iPhone SE2s have been missing from their phones for sale list for a week or so. Not just "out of stock" as with the new ones, but just plain missing.
    They disappear sometimes. It happened a few weeks ago and then came back.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Past experience indicates that Tracfone has not had the necessary time to fully implement this new unlocking policy and exorcise the e-bugaboos.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Past experience indicates that Tracfone has not had the necessary time to fully implement this new unlocking policy and exorcise the e-bugaboos.
    True. Long as it can actually be done as described by the time it should be able to be done.

Feedback Score

Don't read too much into it: none of the refurbished phones read "out of stock". When the stock is gone, so is the listing. It also doesn't exclude the possibility of a missing refurbished phone becoming available again.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    OP, what did the unlocking website tell you when you entered the info for your phone?

In my experience, TF customer service reps often relay misinformation.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone!)
    You can sign up for Red Pocket and get $25 off your monthly-plan order using my referral code. Feel free to PM me for the codes. Thank you!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I put a new TF Branded A51 activated with new line through the TF unlock page and it returns that it needs 12 months not 2 which is clearly wrong.

Attachment 169942

We probably just need to wait till they update their system.
    It all starts after 1/23/2022 anyway in terms of the first phones becoming eligible.

At that time we can share experiences.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, the message that shows on the TFW website (after checking ANY TracPhone) clearly only refers to the old policy, not new policy at all. Maybe the rep systems also don't show the new system at all, as nothing would be eligible on that till the earliest of Jan 23, 2022.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They're back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast