Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

Thread: reconditioned iPhone 12 month unlock?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    518
    Feedback Score
    0
    Has anybody activated a refurb since 11-23?

    I'm hoping refurbs will unlock the same as new.
    Tracfone rewards referral code SPUP-F34C gives 8,000 points to new rewards members at rewards.tracfone.com or in the Tracfone App.

    Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,816
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, iPhone SE 2, iPhone SE 1, Samsung A51, Samsung A20
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    Has anybody activated a refurb since 11-23?

    I'm hoping refurbs will unlock the same as new.
    I activated one on 11/27. New line. I'll let know what happens.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,157
    Feedback Score
    0
    I activated with transfer two lines in mid December. One I refilled afterwards with 90 day service, the other I did not (since it already had more than enough service). I plan to see what my options are in mid February for both lines. If either one doesn't allow me to unlock, I would hope the 'new line' activation will have worked by then for someone else like tomseys, and I'd just port those lines to BYOP and re-activate on new lines.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    43
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    I activated with transfer two lines in mid December. One I refilled afterwards with 90 day service, the other I did not (since it already had more than enough service). I plan to see what my options are in mid February for both lines. If either one doesn't allow me to unlock, I would hope the 'new line' activation will have worked by then for someone else like tomseys, and I'd just port those lines to BYOP and re-activate on new lines.
    I've also activated phones since 11/23, all 3 used carryover minutes but I did add an additional 90 days to 2 of them as well to see if that helps.

    What has me most concerned now is that the 2 refurb XR's (just purchased from TW) both show a sim card icon & not a smartphone icon which could mean trouble unlocking. I've activated TW & ST (new) locked phones on TF in the past, they both showed the smartphone icon.

    Hope that doesn't mean what I think it means, should know more around the 30th.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    925
    Feedback Score
    0
    peggyrh, that does seem like a concern. I just looked at a TF branded iPhone SE refurb I activated recently, and it shows the expected phone icon in my dashboard.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    11,101
    Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Moto G Stylus (2021)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    peggyrh, that does seem like a concern. I just looked at a TF branded iPhone SE refurb I activated recently, and it shows the expected phone icon in my dashboard.
    Peggy used the Total Wireless XRs. Although she did it before with TW and ST phones, perhaps they weren't treated as rebranded this time and treated as BYOP instead.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    43
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Peggy used the Total Wireless XRs. Although she did it before with TW and ST phones, perhaps they weren't treated as rebranded this time and treated as BYOP instead.
    That's what I'm afraid of. There are so many variations of what will qualify for unlock or will need support intervention going forward we're going to have a lot of reading to do in the next few weeks.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,157
    Feedback Score
    0
    I took a stab at listing all the various unlock scenarios on another thread and didn't even consider the rebranding one

    But I think I will create an unlock data point thread next week so everyone can report in!

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    43
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    I took a stab at listing all the various unlock scenarios on another thread and didn't even consider the rebranding one

    But I think I will create an unlock data point thread next week so everyone can report in!
    Just checked the ST iphone 12 Mini I activated on TF 11/30, it shows correct smartphone icon so it's not an issue between brands - might be more of an issue with both XR's being TW refurbs & not TF refurbs which was reported to have worked OK.
    They "should" still unlock since info can all be verified and they're qualified, I just may have to call unlocking dept and have them do an override. No way their computer system is set up to handle all the exceptions.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    518
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Peggy used the Total Wireless XRs. Although she did it before with TW and ST phones, perhaps they weren't treated as rebranded this time and treated as BYOP instead.
    I bought those last week but I think I ordered from Straight Talk.
    Was planning on activating them from inside my TF account the same as I would a refurb bought from TF.
    Should I call support and ask for a rebrand instead?

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    925
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    I bought those last week but I think I ordered from Straight Talk.
    Was planning on activating them from inside my TF account the same as I would a refurb bought from TF.
    Should I call support and ask for a rebrand instead?
    I chatted with TF CSR last week about using a Total branded phone on Tracfone. I did not specify whether it was retail boxed, or a refurb, though. They suggested I should chat back to rebrand the phone when ready to activate it. I recall that we've seen at least one other report that a CSR recommended this. I know that it's worked for lots of folks without requesting rebranding, but with Tracfone companies I'm inclined to not push the boundaries more than necessary.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    518
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just activated my newest Straight Talk/Total Wireless XR, warranty expires in April. (activation card names both companies)
    The other one expires in early March, so it'll be out of warranty before it's unlocked.
    My SE refurbs have all been September-November warranty dates, so they've got at least 8 months left.

    In my account, the new format that started yesterday, the SIM number is stated and the Device is Unknown with no ESN listed.
    I used the ESN to activate it seemingly without issue, but it looks like it converted to a BYOP upon activation.

    I guess I need to chat to rebrand.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    518
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just did a chat to rebrand my XR.
    CSR told me that the phone was already Tracfone branded and would unlock in 60 days, but if it does not:


    You can have your phone unlocked in 60 days by calling our Business Assurance Department. You will have to speak to a fraud specialist directly. A representative can be reached at 1-888-442-5102. For your convenience, a representative is available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 A.M. to 11:45 P.M. EST.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    955
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    I just did a chat to rebrand my XR.
    CSR told me that the phone was already Tracfone branded and would unlock in 60 days, but if it does not:


    You can have your phone unlocked in 60 days by calling our Business Assurance Department. You will have to speak to a fraud specialist directly. A representative can be reached at 1-888-442-5102. For your convenience, a representative is available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 A.M. to 11:45 P.M. EST.
    Now that Verizon owns TracFone maybe they consider all phones sold with the TF name and logo the same. Rebranding might be a thing of the past now.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    43
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    I just did a chat to rebrand my XR.
    CSR told me that the phone was already Tracfone branded and would unlock in 60 days, but if it does not:


    You can have your phone unlocked in 60 days by calling our Business Assurance Department. You will have to speak to a fraud specialist directly. A representative can be reached at 1-888-442-5102. For your convenience, a representative is available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 A.M. to 11:45 P.M. EST.
    That's the usual Unlocking Dept number listed on the unlocking policy page, I've used it before. Did your refurb XR also show the sim icon instead of the smartphone icon? Thanks for update, at least there's a good possibility of unlock now (though I hate calling in to support).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Special offer for iPhone 12 network unlocking. Simple and easy without any delays.
    By Sim-unlock.net in forum SIM-UNLOCK.NET – easy and fast unlocking by code. Don't waste time !!!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2021, 02:37 AM
  2. Visible iPhone 12s come unlocked?
    By ztmike in forum Verizon Prepaid/Visible
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2021, 08:18 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-31-2019, 10:39 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2019, 01:40 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2017, 07:13 AM

Bookmarks