Thread: Using Current Google Voice Number with New IPhone?

Feedback Score

Using Current Google Voice Number with New IPhone?

I have an old iphone and old US google voice number that I still use now on that iphone. I use the app google voice on the iphone in order to call/text.

I got a new iphone and did not transfer the contents from old iphone to new iphone. Just going to do things manually. I downloaded google voice. I already entered that google account to gmail on the new iphone. I basically have two phones and want to be able to use google voice to call/text from both the old iphone and new iphone.

I clicked on continue as me with that google email account. It says

Chose your current phone number.

This will be the phone that rings when someone calls your google voice number.

Option to Add number or Skip

What do I do here? Again I want to use the same google voice number that is associated with the same google account on this new iphone.

Feedback Score
    I like to add. Years ago when I got this google voice number, I used a VOIP number we had back then to get this google voice number. I remember you always need a real number in order to get a google voice number. I do not have that number anymore and never needed it as my google voice number has worked on my old iphone for years.

What do I have to press on that screen to use it on the new iphone?

Thus when someone calls my google voice number or text me on it, I want it to show on the Google Voice app like right now with my old iphone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly02 View Post
    I have an old iphone and old US google voice number that I still use now on that iphone. I use the app google voice on the iphone in order to call/text.

I got a new iphone and did not transfer the contents from old iphone to new iphone. Just going to do things manually. I downloaded google voice. I already entered that google account to gmail on the new iphone. I basically have two phones and want to be able to use google voice to call/text from both the old iphone and new iphone.

I clicked on continue as me with that google email account. It says

Chose your current phone number.

This will be the phone that rings when someone calls your google voice number.

Option to Add number or Skip

What do I do here? Again I want to use the same google voice number that is associated with the same google account on this new iphone.
    You left out one important piece of info. Do you have active cell service on the old phone that has a cell number?

If you have active cell service on the old phone with a cell number, enter it.

If you don't have active cell service on the old phone with a cell number, Skip. You will still receive GV calls and texts via the GV app while on Wifi. I have several phones that work this way.

One caveat, I don't have any iPhones, only Androids. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    You left out one important piece of info. Do you have active cell service on the old phone that has a cell number?

If you have active cell service on the old phone with a cell number, enter it.

If you don't have active cell service on the old phone with a cell number, Skip. You will still receive GV calls and texts via the GV app while on Wifi. I have several phones that work this way.

One caveat, I don't have any iPhones, only Androids. YMMV.

Okay I clicked skipped and it seems to load everything the same way like the old iphone I have. So basically the point of entering a number is because if someone calls your google voice number and you don't know or don't pick up, it goes to that number you enter? Thus that number... is basically your regular SMS US Number that you pay monthly right?

But if you don't have one and only use google voice number for call/text via wifi or with a nonUS sim no issue?

Feedback Score
    On my old iphone, I have a nonUS sim card that I use all the time whether I"m in the US or outside the US. Thus I use google voice to call/text via wifi... or using that nonUS sim data when I'm outside and don't have wifi... if you get what I mean?

In the end, what I want is basically put my nonUS sim in the new iphone and use it with google voice number. On the old iphone, I have another US sim card but its that ultramobile paygo 3 dollar plan. I want to use that in the old iphone. So that is fine with both phones right? Again the most important thing is being able to use google voice on the new iphone... like with the old iphone.

Feedback Score
    On my old iphone, I have a nonUS sim card that I use all the time whether I"m in the US or outside the US. Thus I use google voice to call/text via wifi... or using that nonUS sim data when I'm outside and don't have wifi... if you get what I mean?

In the end, what I want is basically put my nonUS sim in the new iphone and use it with google voice number. On the old iphone, I have another US sim card but its that ultramobile paygo 3 dollar plan. I want to use that in the old iphone. So that is fine with both phones right? Again the most important thing is being able to use google voice on the new iphone... like with the old iphone.
    AFAIK, entering a phone number on GV app setup configures the app to forward to that number. You can change that forwarding. Entering a number will probably also cause it to verify that number by a text or call to it. That won't work to a foreign number.

I would setup the phone with the foreign SIM by skipping entering that number.

On the phone with a US service SIM enter the number and let it verify.

Both should be usable with GV. The one with the non-US SIM would work over Wifi or the foreign SIM data.

Feedback Score
    Okay. But on a phone with a US service sim, is there any purpose of putting that number though if say you have limited minutes on that sim? Hence like an ultramobile paygo sim that only gives 100 minutes a month? Because I don't want it going straight to that ultramobile number if it uses up those minutes.

Feedback Score
    Okay. But on a phone with a US service sim, is there any purpose of putting that number though if say you have limited minutes on that sim? Hence like an ultramobile paygo sim that only gives 100 minutes a month? Because I don't want it going straight to that ultramobile number if it uses up those minutes.
    If you want to receive or make calls or texts to your GV number while you are away from Wifi you can do that with the Ultra SIM.

Receiving calls you configure GV to forward to the Ultra number. GV does not forward texts.

Making calls you can use the Ultra voice minutes to send a call with your GV number as the Caller ID, but you will have to turn data on and use a bit for that to work. The data is just used to setup the call.

Sending and receiving texts with the GV app requires data - not much.

GV and Ultra itself does not use minutes if you don't answer the call.

Feedback Score
    So you are saying if I do put that ultramobile number to it... it would first call to my google voice number no matter only if I don't have wifi.

But if you even if that ultramobile sim card with very little minutes, it makes sense to put that number though in case right? Such that if you have no wifi, then it calls your ultramobile number?

But let say you always have wifi or data on regardless. Obviously this wouldn't apply to that ultramobile montly plan that gives you little data and minutes... then it doesn't make sense then right to put your sms number there?

Feedback Score
    Based on the multitude of pauly02 posts scattered around HoFo, with the previously-stated intended use, the GV app should be set to "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data", and have no forwarding # attached.

ANY data source, WiFi or mobile, will allow the GV app to work without a forwarding #, both inside and outside the US.

Any device capable of having the GV app installed can be used interchangeably with the GV #. So the GV # can be used on both iPhones at the same time.

pauly02 wanted a real cellular # to receive 2FA SMS for a US financial institution that supposedly has no alternative method to receive 2FA, which was the primary reason for the Ultra Mobile Paygo (formerly T-Mobile Paygo) plan.

Feedback Score
    pauly02, did you get it all figured out?