Thread: Using "upgrade" phone to activate a new line?

Feedback Score

Using "upgrade" phone to activate a new line?

Does anyone know if I can use a phone purchased as an upgrade to activate a new line?

I received a $75 discount because my current phone is not on the ATT VoLTE list. I used it to buy a new Samsung phone.

I'd like to use that phone to activate a new line instead of "upgrade" my current line.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Feedback Score
    Uncharted waters at the present time.

Feedback Score
    I got my "upgrade" phone a while back. I am still using my "incompatible" phone. Haven't decided when (or if) I will transfer service to the upgrade phone. I am hoping AT&T will just push back their Feb 2022 deadline like other carriers did with theirs.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code RBKV-896C. You get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone! and you get a huge thank-you for helping me!

To those who already have Tracfone - this Holiday season, please consider using my referral code (instead of doing a self-referral) if you sign up for new service - you’ll get great karma! and my eternal gratitude!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33b13 View Post
    Does anyone know if I can use a phone purchased as an upgrade to activate a new line?

I received a $75 discount because my current phone is not on the ATT VoLTE list. I used it to buy a new Samsung phone.

I'd like to use that phone to activate a new line instead of "upgrade" my current line.

i know people who have done exactly that and so far no issues.

i have seen recently where in the upgrade ordering process it states if the service is not moved to the new device it may happen automatically. seems that part would become problematic if the device was activated with new service.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    How would they do that if your phone is gsm and as is typical from tf, all their replacement offerings are cdma ?

When all is said and done we're gonna miss not gaming the system as easily as we have tracfone...gonna miss Alex,too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    How would they do that if your phone is gsm and as is typical from tf, all their replacement offerings are cdma ?
    They want all those AT&T customers to transfer service to the replacement Verizon phones. That's the devious plan! That's why they are being so generous, giving away free phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    They want all those AT&T customers to transfer service to the replacement Verizon phones. That's the devious plan! That's why they are being so generous, giving away free phones.
    Nothing devious about it. Verizon always said they would give incentives for those on ATT or TM to move to Vzw. And it's not TF/Verizon making you switch, it's ATT. There's few TF DL models on the ATT list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Nothing devious about it. Verizon always said they would give incentives for those on ATT or TM to move to Vzw. And it's not TF/Verizon making you switch, it's ATT. There's few TF DL models on the ATT list.
    You're right. Bad choice of words on my part.

Feedback Score
    You're right. Bad choice of words on my part.
    No problem. It's frustrating times just with the TF/vzw changes let alone ATT throwing their actions in the mix.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33b13 View Post

I've done it with no problems so far.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KSSteve View Post
    I've done it with no problems so far.
    Thank you!