Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Truphone 2022 thread

Feedback Score
    Well, as I said, my Truphone balance was down to just above the threshold amount of $5. I made a call (actually my wife did) and I just found this in my email:
    Hello,

Thanks for adding credit to your Truphone account. Here are the details:

Your credit summary:
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Truphone Number: ************ etc etc

You can check your credit whenever you like by dialling 303 from your phone.

If you'd like any help with your account or your number, just give us a call on 707 from your Truphone handset or +1 646 360 1689 from any phone.

Kind regards,

Harry Odenhoven
    Chief Operating Officer

Visiting the Truphone site now, I see my credit is up above $30, so I guess my refill amount is that much. Now, will the service continue long enough to let me use all that credit, or will it outlive me? That is the question.

But apparently, whatever else Truphone is doing, automatic top-up still works.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    Well, as I said, my Truphone balance was down to just above the threshold amount of $5. I made a call (actually my wife did) and I just found this in my email:
    Hello,

Thanks for adding credit to your Truphone account. Here are the details:

Your credit summary:
    Truphone Number: ************ etc etc

You can check your credit whenever you like by dialling 303 from your phone.

If you'd like any help with your account or your number, just give us a call on 707 from your Truphone handset or +1 646 360 1689 from any phone.

Kind regards,

Harry Odenhoven
    Chief Operating Officer

Visiting the Truphone site now, I see my credit is up above $30, so I guess my refill amount is that much. Now, will the service continue long enough to let me use all that credit, or will it outlive me? That is the question.

But apparently, whatever else Truphone is doing, automatic top-up still works.
    You can ask TruPhone to reverse the top up considering they’ve told several customers that top ups are discontinued.

That’s what I did. They replied that they will cancel/refund my Apr 2022 top up. My balance has reverted to its pre-Topup balance though the refund hasn’t shown up yet in my credit card transaction history.

Also, disable your auto top-up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    You can ask TruPhone to reverse the top up considering they’ve told several customers that top ups are discontinued.
    I only see one person (not several) in this thread who said they were told (by telephone) that top-ups have been discontinued.

This has been contradicted by multiple reports of people successfully topping up their accounts.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lineisbusy View Post
    I only see one person (not several) in this thread who said they were told (by telephone) that top-ups have been discontinued.

This has been contradicted by multiple reports of people successfully topping up their accounts.
    I no longer have payment information in their portal (it appears they removed it), and I can no longer add a payment method to my account.

Truphone also followed up last week with an old ticket of mine that was still open. When I thanked them and advised them that the ticket could be closed, they responded with this at the end of the email:

"
    Meanwhile, I would also like to inform you that following a recent change in our payment partner, we effectively also discontinue supporting any further top-ups to our prepaid service.

We hope you continue to enjoy the service until your credits are consumed. Should you prefer to port your number out to another service provider, we will be able to assist you.
    We apologize for the inconvenience and request for your understanding. Thank you for choosing Truphone. If you wish to explore our other consumer offering, please visit us at https://www.truphone.com/consumer/
    "

Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting this. It's a little confusing, since it is still possible to top up, but I appreciate seeing their direct statement.

Feedback Score
    The reason they give ("changes in our payment systems" or "recent change in our payment partner") sounds lame. Surely they can accept payment if they wanted to, and they are pointing people to their other offering where presumably they are accepting payment.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just found this posted up on reddit -- here's the official announcement:

https://www3.truphone.com/consumer/s...commissioning/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Just found this posted up on reddit -- here's the official announcement:

https://www3.truphone.com/consumer/s...commissioning/
    Thanks for the update.

Since they switched to using T-Mobile as a carrier I have not been able to get it to work. I tried the SIM in a phone with T-Mo band 71 last week - still no go. Calls don't ring. Texts don't go or take 15 minutes to arrive.

With the TruSIM unable to do VoLTE and AT&T and T-Mobile shutting down 2G and 3G it is of limited use as general purpose phone service. It is effectively no use and dead to me. I was just using it as a backup glovebox phone.

TruSIM was my first smartphone service. No hard feelings. It was nice as long as it lasted. I never expected it to last forever. They did well by me. I'm not going to burn through the remaining $11 balance to spite them.

I guess I will make Page Plus paygo my new glovebox phone. The problem with that, aside from the $2.50 a month cost, is that I will have to use a decent Verizon compatible phone. For Tru I could use a crappy old, otherwise retired, $20 AT&T GoPhone.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    It's a bit sad, as is everything that ends...

Feedback Score
    So I was able to squeeze some more life out of the phone that houses my Truphone sim. Today I tried the line for a test call, and the call failed.

The phone is an old, old Metro-unlocked low-end Samsung. I don't know if it does VoLTE. Changed the Network Mode in Settings from "LTE/3G Auto" to "3G only" - and the call went through! Just like what I had read on one of the articles on prepaidcompare.net - https://bestmvno.com/att/3g-non-whit...-on-att-again/ - it worked great!
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    So I was able to squeeze some more life out of the phone that houses my Truphone sim. Today I tried the line for a test call, and the call failed.

The phone is an old, old Metro-unlocked low-end Samsung. I don't know if it does VoLTE. Changed the Network Mode in Settings from "LTE/3G Auto" to "3G only" - and the call went through! Just like what I had read on one of the articles on prepaidcompare.net - https://bestmvno.com/att/3g-non-whit...-on-att-again/ - it worked great!
    I think that means the area you called from hasn't had the AT&T 3G system turned off yet?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I think that means the area you called from hasn't had the AT&T 3G system turned off yet?
    my truphone SIM is connecting to t-mobile lately, i have seen several reports from other as well of truphone defaulting to t-mobile

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    my truphone SIM is connecting to t-mobile lately, i have seen several reports from other as well of truphone defaulting to t-mobile
    My Truphone would not call out one day. I called technical support, and they had me connect to T-Mobile. They informed me that they did not renew their contract with AT&T here in the United States.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, ThePhantom, for some actual information from Truphone! But that's dated March 22, and they took $30 of my money later than that. At the rate I accrue charges, it'll be years before I run through that much money.

I'm still questioning what will happen when 3G goes away--will Truphone vanish along with it, or have they updated to more modern communication methods? I do have a phone that's compatible with 4G, so I can use up my $30 if they allow me to. My wife thinks Truphone is liable to shut down any time, and she's insisting on a different service. Besides, she makes more calls than I do, and runs through charges a lot faster, to the point where it's questionable whether Truphone is a very good deal for her. I'm looking at Tello as a replacement for her Truphone service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Yes, I think my Truphone sim still uses AT&T, not TMo. The phone's Settings show "Truphone/ATT" as the carrier.

I wish mine had switched to TMo too, because it's an old MetroPCS phone, so should work well with TMo. And TMo's 3G shutdown is a little further in the future. Oh well.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast