Thread: Super slow data speed

Feedback Score

Super slow data speed

We had a 3 day power outage from a big snow event. Data was acting extremely slow and could not get hotspot to work as it did before. Phone is a Moto G5 Plus running on TF/Verizon. After the power was restored it is the same, and speed tests show sub-Mbps data speeds. Data apps are running very slow, with the exception of Google Maps?

There has been a trend to lower test speeds for a couple of years. Download speeds are seldom above 6 Mbps, with dips lower on occasion. The signal strength is not that bad at around -100 dBm.

Can this be the phone itself, rather than the network?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    We had a 3 day power outage from a big snow event. ....
    OMG, I can't imagine being without power for three days! Hope things went okay with you!

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, but this makes me wonder - What kind of preparation / emergency stuff do people put together, to take care of such power-outage eventualities?

Thanks! (I am totally clueless about such things).
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code RBKV-896C. You get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone! and you get a huge thank-you for helping me!

To those who already have Tracfone - this Holiday season, please consider using my referral code (instead of doing a self-referral) if you sign up for new service - you’ll get great karma! and my eternal gratitude!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    We had a 3 day power outage from a big snow event. Data was acting extremely slow and could not get hotspot to work as it did before. Phone is a Moto G5 Plus running on TF/Verizon. After the power was restored it is the same, and speed tests show sub-Mbps data speeds. Data apps are running very slow, with the exception of Google Maps?

There has been a trend to lower test speeds for a couple of years. Download speeds are seldom above 6 Mbps, with dips lower on occasion. The signal strength is not that bad at around -100 dBm.

Can this be the phone itself, rather than the network?
    Do you have any neighbors or friends that are on Verizon, not TracFone Verizon. It might be the system?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    OMG, I can't imagine being without power for three days! Hope things went okay with you!

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, but this makes me wonder - What kind of preparation / emergency stuff do people put together, to take care of such power-outage eventualities?

Thanks! (I am totally clueless about such things).
    I've been without for almost a week with a ice storm.
    Fireplace, flashlight, charcoal grill, battery powered radio or police scanner. We still had water, and with a gas hot water heater I could take a hot shower.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    We don't have a fireplace, and the gas furnace needs electricity to work. After two days without power in the winter, we let the faucet drip so water wouldn't freeze, then went to a motel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    We don't have a fireplace, and the gas furnace needs electricity to work. After two days without power in the winter, we let the faucet drip so water wouldn't freeze, then went to a motel.
    I drained the pipes last night to prevent freezing. With a well, no electric means no water anyway. Makes flushing interesting....

I have about 20, 2 liter soda bottles filled with water in the basement. Takes about 6 of them for a flush. If its yellow, let it mellow...

Sent from my moto e (XT2052DL) using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    After Hurricane Laura... it was 6 weeks before my power was restored. Some areas waited for 12 weeks. No drinkable tap water until after power was restored. Water pressure was so low it took an hour to fill a 5 gallon bucket for bathing or flushing use. It was hot enough in September that the water wasn't too cool for bathing. I have since purchased a small portable generator to power the bare essentials.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I drained the pipes last night to prevent freezing. With a well, no electric means no water anyway. Makes flushing interesting....
    Yes, well pumps can be a problem in rural areas. You have to install an isolated power input panel on the main service to use a generator. These pumps are also 220 Volts, which some portable generators don't have. Friend of mine does this, but does not have the power to run the whole house furnace. Most people outside of town also have wood stoves.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I went through a multi-day outage in New Hampshire, and most of the neighborhood left for the duration. Was January, and around 20 degrees. Yes, most furnaces need electric to run. I had portable propane heating and cooking.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Senkoboy View Post
    Do you have any neighbors or friends that are on Verizon, not TracFone Verizon. It might be the system?
    Don't know anybody on direct Verizon. I know the stores will be of no help from past experience for anything except Postpaid service. Think I will put my SIM into a backup phone already set up.

Feedback Score
    Fixed (I hope)! Swapped the main phone BYOP SIM to an unused Tracfone branded backup phone, and data speeds went back up some. Said to myself '"darn it's my phone slowing things down and not the network". Put the SIM back in the main phone, and now it's running faster than it has in a long time. Whoopee!!! There was a shock from the SIM swapping, as some apps had to be tweaked some to get running right. Only bummer is it still has lost hotspot.