Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tracfone question

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score

tracfone question

i have the tracfone phone service. i have a lg k20 phone. a few weeks ago i got an email from Tracfone telling me that my phone was going away, they told me it was not volte capable. so after a few of those emails, i went to tracfone and found out they were going to give me another phone. so i used the vs. site and compared the free phone to the lg k20 and found the galaxy a21 to be better. it has the same 32gb but is better in other ways. so i figured because they gave it to me it would be 4g and volte capable. well it is not 4g nor volte? so in a few weeks when tracfone turns off the 2g and 3g service am i going to lose service on this phone?

if not then the lg k20 has the same 2g 3g and it is 4g and volte capable so why did tracfone make me switch to a new phone? the a21 is not 4g nor volte capable so it would seem to me that i did not have to get another phone. i'm just wondering if anyone has any clue to what is really going on? yes the a21 is a bit better but now i have to get new charging cords as they're c and not mini's and a new cover and protector etc. so now if this phone is going to go away i spent money for nothing. thanks.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    The TF-branded Samsung A21 (S215DL) is a 4G phone and it has VoLTE on TF/Verizon, but it's not on AT&T whitelists for post-3G service. Verizon (as new owner of TF) is not going to give you a phone to use with AT&T service. You can use the free A21 with TF/Verizon, or buy a compatible phone if you want to keep using TF/AT&T (for a while anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by corvairbob
    now i have to get new charging cords as they're c and not mini's
    Why can't you use the charger and USB-C cord that come with the A21 ?

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    thanks but i do ot have at&t service i do have tracfone service. i wonder why the phone does not show 4g or volte in the settings? maybe they just never programmed it to show. anyway it sounds like as long as it is a tracfone it will work. does anyone happen to know if i might be able to get it to unlock to use with metropcs and if so how long does that take? my wife want this one and she has metro pcs. i can then gt another one. i have been looking at the lg g7 thinq. i looked for the lock and did not see it so tracfone must have it hidden. thanks.

Feedback Score
    If you got the email/message from Tracfone, you are most likely using AT&T as the carrier. Tracfone is not a carrier. They just resell service from the 3 major carriers. The phone they sent you very likely has a Verizon sim in it. Getting it unlocked is a good question. It may depend on how you activate the new phone. If you activate with a transfer from an existing account, it may take a year. That is currently unclear. If you activate as a new line using some sort of plan, it may unlock in 60 days. There is no lock switch.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    * All TF-branded phones come locked to TF SIMS. The good news is that with the new unlocking policy you just need to activate the phone with TF/Verizon and use it for 60 days and it'll be unlocked. Prior to Verizon buying TF on 11/23/21, it took 12 months of service to get it unlocked.

* Since all new phones from TF now use VoLTE on TF/Verizon, they hide the VoLTE setting because it defaults to ON. There are some apps that you can run to see the hidden VoLTE setting.

* When I talked about AT&T service, I meant AT&T service through TF, which sounds like what your LK K20 is using. Do you know which carrier the K20 use through TF? Look at the first 6-digits of the SIM number.
    * 890141: AT&T
    * 890126: T-mobile
    * 891480: Verizon
    If your K20 is using TF/AT&T, it's AT&T that decides your phone will no longer work after they drop 3G in Feb 2022. Not TF's decision.

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    the lg k20 is a metro pcs phone when it first starts up. that one has the iccid as 891480 so it must be the verizon base unit, on the a21 the iccid is 890141 so that looks like the at&t your talking about.

so if i do get me an lg g7 or g8 phone how would i go about unlocking this a21 phone in 60 days? i want to get a 64gb phone or 128gb phone and the wife likes this a21 and she gets along good with 16gb so 32gb will go a long way with her needs.

so in 60 days i can swap it out for her, i expect if i do get it unlocked so she can use it will she have to take it to the metro store or will if just switch over when she puts her sim into it? this one switched over when i put my sim in it. the sim it came with did nothing but turn off the sim notice. thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by corvairbob View Post
    the lg k20 is a metro pcs phone when it first starts up. that one has the iccid as 891480 so it must be the verizon base unit, on the a21 the iccid is 890141 so that looks like the at&t your talking about.
    Can you double-check that please? Did you swap the SIMs? A metropcs phone is for T-mo, although it'll work with AT&T, I doubt that it has a Verizon SIM. Also, the A21 is a new TF-branded phone, I doubt that it comes with a TF/AT&T SIM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The A21 should come with a red card in the box. What are the first 6 digits of its SIM number printed on the red card?

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    it came with a white sim card. when i first started the phone it did not have any errors but i got no service or signal bars. so i put my tf sim from the k20 in it and it re-started and went thru some things and came up and said it was ready to go. i texted the wife and called her and it worked. and my time data and texts were all there.

it did not have a red sim card in it. the sim it had in it has 891480 on it but it shows no service. and when i looked in the sim status, it said no phone number or anything else.

the number on the sim i took from the k20 is tf128simc4nd and then 89014 10327 thanks

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    when the k20 starts up it says metro pcs. and yes it has a tf sim in it. in fact that sim card has been in maybe 6 phones now. i have had that sim card for maybe 15 years now. and it has worked in a cellular phone an at&t a t-mobile a version. but now i tend to use t mobile or metro phones as the wife has metro and if i need to go with metro i can get on her plan for cheap. thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by corvairbob View Post
    it came with a white sim card. it did not have a red sim card in it. the sim it had in it has 891480 on it but it shows no service. and when i looked in the sim status, it said no phone number or anything else.

the number on the sim i took from the k20 is tf128simc4nd and then 89014 10327 thanks
    The red card I was talking about is a PAPER CARD, not a SIM card. The A21's IMEI and SIM number are printed on that red card. The SIM the A21 came with has 891480 which is a TF/Verizon SIM. Of course it has no service because you haven't activated it yet.

The SIM that you took from the K20 starts with 890141 (then 0327) which means it's a TF/AT&T SIM. It was already active with the K20, so when you put it into the A21 it's working. But since the A21 is NOT on AT&T whitelist, it likely will quit working after 3G is shut down.

The proper way to keep your line working is to transfer service from the SIM in the K20 to the A21 (with its original SIM). Your service will be switched to TF/Verizon. If that's not acceptable, then you'll need to buy a phone that's on AT&T whitelist.

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    ok that sounds like a plan. when i was on the tf site it did say something about activating the new phone. so that is what i must have to do.

because the sim that was in the k20 worked when i put it in the a21 i figured i was all set. but like your saying because it came with a sim that sim must have to be activated. i hope i do not lose all my data and texts and minutes. i have a gazillion of them.

so tell me if you can, if the wife takes the a21 phone in 60 days and after i can get it unlocked and puts her sim into it and it makes calls and texts. she may be good to go. i did put her sim in it today and she was able to call and text.

and then if i get me a 64gb phone say from metro or t mo or like your saying maybe a verizon phone, would the sim that came in the a21 that i get activated tomorrow work in another phone? say in 3 months? because i have to wait for 60 days to see if i can get this a21 phone unlocked to use for another service.

thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    First of all, TF and Verizon (as the new owner) now keep track and enforce the pairing of SIM and phone's IMEI more strictly. So you should not swap SIMs as you did in the past. It will cause a lot of problems, including getting your line shut down. Many horror stories had been reported in this forum. It's not an idle scare.

* Which company does your wife's phone use? Is it TF or another company?

* If you get a new phone (from metro, t-mo, or whatever), do you want to use that phone with TF? If you do, get a new SIM for it. Do not use the SIM in the A21 with another phone. If you want to keep your phone number and balances (that will be on the A21), then after the A21 was unlocked ask TF to TRANSFER your line from the A21 to the SIM of the new phone.

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    ok thanks for that info. i just went to tf and did an activation on the sim that came in the a21 phone. the website said a day or so to get activated. so lets see in a day if the new phone works. i sent the wife a text and it said pending so i figure when the a21 gets activated she will get that text and let me know.

the wife is a metro phone with metro service. so what i might do is in 3 months or so if this a21 is just not doing what i want i will get a verizon lg g7 or g8 from ebay and order a new sim from Tracfone and transfer my account to the new phone and new sim.

and then at that time the wife can take a drive to the t mo store or call metro and get her sim registered to the a21 phone, then everything should work as intended.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    * Yes, it'll take a day or so to transfer service from the K20 to the A21 because it's a cross-carrier transfer (from AT&T to Verizon), and someone in TF Port dept has to manually approve the port.

* You said your wife's (metro) SIM worked in the A21. That's strange, because the A21 is still locked by TF and it should have rejected any non-TF SIM. I'm stumped on that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast