Thread: Activating my Tracfone after having it a few months. Some questions. ???

Feedback Score

Question Activating my Tracfone after having it a few months. Some questions. ???

I was gifted a Motorola G POWER (2020 version) a few months ago but haven't had a chance to activate it. I've been using the phone via wifi to make calls using my Google Voice account and doing some basic web surfing. I like the phone and plan on activating it very soon but I do have some questions that maybe someone could help me with.

1 --- Will this phone be good to go for the forseeable future as I find it somewhat confusing as to which phones/carriers will be doing away with 3G etc.... Am I safe with this phone and it's usefulness or is gonna be come a dinosaur?

2 --- Which Tracfone plan would give me the best bang for my buck? I certainly need unlimited talk and text but could probably get by with maybe 5 or 10GB of high-speed data.

3 --- I understand Tracfone is grouped with other companies. I think Verizon owns them all if I'm not mistaken. Would it pay me to activate this phone on one of the other "sister" companies such as Simple Mobile or Total Wireless? Could I even do that or am I stuck with Tracfone? Some of the other companies "seem" to have better deals.

Thank you in advance

DAVID

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveinNJ View Post
    I was gifted a Motorola G POWER (2020 version) a few months ago but haven't had a chance to activate it. I've been using the phone via wifi to make calls using my Google Voice account and doing some basic web surfing. I like the phone and plan on activating it very soon but I do have some questions that maybe someone could help me with.

1 --- Will this phone be good to go for the forseeable future as I find it somewhat confusing as to which phones/carriers will be doing away with 3G etc.... Am I safe with this phone and it's usefulness or is gonna be come a dinosaur?

2 --- Which Tracfone plan would give me the best bang for my buck? I certainly need unlimited talk and text but could probably get by with maybe 5 or 10GB of high-speed data.

3 --- I understand Tracfone is grouped with other companies. I think Verizon owns them all if I'm not mistaken. Would it pay me to activate this phone on one of the other "sister" companies such as Simple Mobile or Total Wireless? Could I even do that or am I stuck with Tracfone? Some of the other companies "seem" to have better deals.

Thank you in advance

DAVID
    Your phone has a Verizon sim that needs to be activated with that sim. TotalWireless, StraighTalk, Net10 and PagePlus should work too. Not Simple Mobile, that uses TMobile sims. It should unlock 60 days after activation then you can change the SIM to a TMobile sim, but I don't believe that phone is authorized by ATT so that's out. Also after the 60 day unlock you can move to another mvno, just not one that uses ATT.

Vzw shut down 3G already, any new phones like yours are good there for the foreseeable future.
    As far as plans, others can chime in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveinNJ View Post
    For your requirements, the $40/mo plan looks like the best one. It gives 8GB per month.

Unused data should roll over for the next 30 days, so you could make it work if you use like 5GB in one month, and 10GB the next month.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code RBKV-896C. You get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone! and you get a huge thank-you for helping me!

To those who already have Tracfone - this Holiday season, please consider using my referral code (instead of doing a self-referral) if you sign up for new service - you’ll get great karma! and my eternal gratitude!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    For your requirements, the $40/mo plan looks like the best one. It gives 8GB per month.

Unused data should roll over for the next 30 days, so you could make it work if you use like 5GB in one month, and 10GB the next month.
    $35 gives you 10 gb month with Straight Talk

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2, SE 1, Samsung A51, Moto E 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Looks like they've removed the up to 8GB of hotspot service that comes with the $40 unlimited plan.

It still mentions it on the bottom of the site generally as part of the fine print, but I don't see it listed anymore as a feature of the plan in the plan description - the new one or old one.

Though it still shows it on the old front log-in page ad:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  35.6 KB
    Last edited by tomseys; 01-05-2022 at 09:02 AM.

Feedback Score
    The site has always been inconsistent about where it shows the hotspot feature on the $40 plan. I have it, and hotspot works fine.