Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Commits to Launching 5G for 100 Million This Month

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S21 Ultra, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Verizon Commits to Launching 5G for 100 Million This Month

So did VZW change their minds and decide to delay again for another two weeks? I read an article yesterday ( https://www.droid-life.com/2022/01/0...ht-up-said-no/ ) saying both they and AT&T were not going to delay again for another two weeks requested by the government.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/verizon-c...ion-this-month

The carrier will flip on its C-Band network for nearly a third of the US population by the end of January.

Original Story:
    Verizon publicly committed today to turning on its C-Band 5G network by the end of the month for more than 100 million people in more than 1,700 cities and towns.

The move comes after the carrier reached an agreement with the FAA to again delay the launch past its previous date of Jan. 5. Still, it jumps ahead of Verizon's initial commitment to cover 100 million by the end of this March.

"This massive launch will put incredible speeds, reliability, and security in the hands of our customers ... well ahead of the commitment we made last year,” Hans Vestberg, Chairman and CEO of Verizon, said in a press release.

The C-Band launch will also let Verizon offer wireless home internet to "millions" more homes and businesses, the company says.

Beyond that, details are pretty thin. There's no hard date other than "before the end of the month," no list of locations, no list of devices, and no pricing. Verizon does say in its press release that a coverage map will be available at launch, and more details may come out between now and then.

Phones in the iPhone 12 and 13 families as well as the Samsung Galaxy S21 family, Z Fold3 and Z Flip3 should be able to use the network at launch, although we anticipate that they'll need a firmware update to do so. Verizon has not confirmed these details, however.

The press release comes shortly before a where Verizon will show off new uses of its 5G network.

"5G Ultra Wideband transforms how people connect in crowded areas such as stadiums ... users can download the highest definition movies in minutes, import songs to giant CAD files, download huge documents and more ... it allows for more seamless HD audio and video streaming, including video chats, video conferencing and FaceTime calls with clear sound and video; and ... 5G Ultra Wideband is faster and safer than public Wi-Fi," the company said.

Speed-wise, Verizon promises "typical download speeds of 90-170Mbps with higher speeds and peaks over 1Gbps in certain areas. Typical upload speeds of 15-30Mbps with peak upload speeds over 100Mbps."

Verizon's 4G network, and its "nationwide 5G," which uses 4G airwaves, have been showing congestion in our recent tests. The C-Band system, which adds 60MHz of airwaves to Verizon's haul in 46 top metro areas, should greatly accelerate Verizon's performance.

The C-Band system will be branded "ultra wideband," like Verizon's fast but hard-to-find millimeter-wave system, and unlike the "nationwide" system with 4G-like performance.

New Network, New Service Plans:

The carrier also says that it's changing its service plans tomorrow, although it did not give full details. The top-of-the-line "Get More" plan will offer completely unthrottled data on your primary device, along with 50GB of hotspot and six entertainment-service subscriptions, the carrier says.

There will also be two new 5G Home Internet plans—"5G Home" and "5G Home Plus."

Your Move, AT&T:

With Verizon committing to this launch, we think an AT&T press release can't be far behind. AT&T has said it will cover 70-75 million people with C-Band by the end of the year.

UPDATE: In a statement, President Joe Biden says AT&T and Verizon will launch new 5G capabilities on Jan. 19, though Verizon's statement has not changed. Biden called the two-week delay "a significant step in the right direction [that] puts us on track to substantially reduce disruptions to air operations" when AT&T and Verizon launch their C-Band networks.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited Elite & Unlimited Starter
    HBOMAX

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I hope this will bring 5G home broadband to more areas.
    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Serial Port; 01-14-2022 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Irrelevant comment deleted by moderator.
    LTE its the network !

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Verizon also said customers on its most expensive unlimited data plan will now no longer be subject to data-usage limits. Verizon is joining both T-Mobile and AT&T in removing caps from its high-speed data allotments.

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/veri.../d/d-id/774365

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Verizon also said customers on its most expensive unlimited data plan will now no longer be subject to data-usage limits. Verizon is joining both T-Mobile and AT&T in removing caps from its high-speed data allotments.

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/veri.../d/d-id/774365
    it should be made clear this applies to phone only use and not phone hotspot. And at&t and T-Mobile are the same way

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtv757 View Post
    I hope this will bring 5G home broadband to more areas . I'm tired of POS docsis broadband .

If you live on one of those 46 PEAs maybe. If not you're waiting until Dec 2023

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Unless Verizon bought n77 DoD spectrum outside the 46 PEAs in Auction 110 and will categorize it as 5G UW. I really hope they got a nationwide 40 MHz outside the 46 PEAs

Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    U have a link to those 46 markets ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtv757 View Post
    U have a link to those 46 markets ?

https://i.pcmag.com/imagery/articles...size_1050x.png

Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    My area is green so cross fingers...

Can wait to get rid of this horific docsis

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    If you live on one of those 46 PEAs maybe. If not you're waiting until Dec 2023
    You forgot to add only small amounts of people in those 46 PESs can even get it. I'm in the Phila PEA proly won't see this for 4 or 5 years if then.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    You forgot to add only small amounts of people in those 46 PESs can even get it. I'm in the Phila PEA proly won't see this for 4 or 5 years if then.
    Where are you getting that from? The title of this thread that 100 million will have access to it in 2 weeks. and that's half the people that live in those 46 PEAs. You're confusing c-band with mmwave. I can wait for this to launch so nay sayers like you can be proven wrong

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Unless Verizon bought n77 DoD spectrum outside the 46 PEAs in Auction 110 and will categorize it as 5G UW. I really hope they got a nationwide 40 MHz outside the 46 PEAs
    I believe they did. I don't believe the "experts" who claim Verizon bought nothing. These guys almost always get things wrong. I'll say that at minimum Verizon got 40 MHz in the top 50 PEAs. There is no reason why they wouldn't. Last thing Verizon wants to do is be 100 MHz behind T-Mobile in mid band for 2 years. Verizon can have this spectrum lit up by summer and most of it doesn't have power restriction like c-band is going to have to put up with for the time being

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The "experts" are claiming that Verizon didn't buy 40 MHz of n77 DoD spectrum in every market of the lower 48 states because of how much debt Verizon is now carrying, but… they seem to not have factored in how much more profit Verizon is going to be making by their next earnings report, thanks to getting lots more people to upgrade to the Get More Unlimited plan as well as selling 5G Home to exponentially more customers.

Feedback Score
    The same experts are predicted that 3.45 GHz auction would fail because Verizon supposedly dropped out early which was proven false. meanwhile it made nearly $8 billion more than the minimum

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I do not know if I will even be able to pick up C Band where I live considering I am only able to connect to band 13 indoors with my coverage fluctuation between 1 to 3 bars of service. I am not sure if massive mimo with beam forming will help improve signal.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast