Thread: Red Pocket & AT&T's February deadline

Feedback Score

Red Pocket & AT&T's February deadline

My roommates and I are thinking of going with Red Pocket's GSMA plan that gives 50 GB per month. Our main aim is to use it for hotspot, and for the unlimited talk and text too.

I don't know anything definitive about how Red Pocket will be dealing with AT&T's February deadline, so thought I would ask here - is Red Pocket like Cricket in terms of suspending service if a non-compatible phone is used?

Thank you for any information and insights!
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code RBKV-896C. You get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone! and you get a huge thank-you for helping me!

To those who already have Tracfone - this Holiday season, please consider using my referral code (instead of doing a self-referral) if you sign up for new service - you’ll get great karma! and my eternal gratitude!

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    My roommates and I are thinking of going with Red Pocket's GSMA plan that gives 50 GB per month. Our main aim is to use it for hotspot, and for the unlimited talk and text too.

I don't know anything definitive about how Red Pocket will be dealing with AT&T's February deadline, so thought I would ask here - is Red Pocket like Cricket in terms of suspending service if a non-compatible phone is used?

Depends on what your phone is compatible with. If it's 3G only the phone won't work if redpocket allows it or not as the physical network will be shutdown. Or if the phone is not volte compatible then calls just won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Main Phone: iPhone 13 Pro
    Android device : OnePlus 8T

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    .....I don't know anything definitive about how Red Pocket will be dealing with AT&T's February deadline, so thought I would ask here - is Red Pocket like Cricket in terms of suspending service if a non-compatible phone is used?

Yes. Even if someone is on ATT directly and their older phone isn't on the compatible list it's done. It's not up to the mvno.

Feedback Score
    I realize we're all operating on the thought that AT&T's whitelist will be enforced across the MVNO range.
    But, has anyone gotten a warning from an AT&T MVNO, other than the Tracfone group? (Remembering that AT&T Prepaid and Cricket are not MVNOs-- AT&T owns them.)

A thread on Reddit/redpocket says only that Red Pocket has said they would "contact those whose phones would not work", but no one reported receiving a warning.

I use FreeUP: no mention of it yet on my non-whitelist phone.

Either this is going to be less of an MVNO problem than we're anticipating, or it's going to be way more of a problem, with little or no warning.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    It depends on whether the MVNO is a "thin" or "thick" MVNO. Thin MVNOs don't have any network infrastructure of their own; they just use AT&T's. Thick MVNOs use AT&T's towers, but have their own LTE core and other backend systems. (It's more of a continuum than a binary choice, but this is the basic idea.)

Thin MVNOs are subject to whatever whitelisting policy AT&T decides to apply to them. In my experience so far, it's been stricter than AT&T retail, but not as strict as Cricket. Thick MVNOs can make their own rules about what devices are allowed—as long as they actually work, of course.

One way to tell what kind of MVNO you're working with is your APN settings. Thin MVNOs generally use AT&T's normal NXTGENPHONE APN; thick MVNOs have their own APNs.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    I use FreeUP: no mention of it yet on my non-whitelist phone.
    I have a FreeUp SIM (free service) that I'm using with a Sprint unlocked LG Stylo 4+ (model Q710PL). It's not on AT&T whitelists and I haven't got any notice/warning from FreeUp either. FreeUp had a list of HD Voice-compatible models and those models aren't common. They're not the models being sold on FreeUp web site, so I don't know which carrier branded them. It'll be interesting to see what happens when AT&T shuts down 3G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andybalholm View Post
    It depends on whether the MVNO is a "thin" or "thick" MVNO. Thin MVNOs don't have any network infrastructure of their own; they just use AT&T's. Thick MVNOs use AT&T's towers, but have their own LTE core and other backend systems. (It's more of a continuum than a binary choice, but this is the basic idea.)

Thin MVNOs are subject to whatever whitelisting policy AT&T decides to apply to them. In my experience so far, it's been stricter than AT&T retail, but not as strict as Cricket. Thick MVNOs can make their own rules about what devices are allowed—as long as they actually work, of course.

One way to tell what kind of MVNO you're working with is your APN settings. Thin MVNOs generally use AT&T's normal NXTGENPHONE APN; thick MVNOs have their own APNs.
    I've never heard of the ""thin" or "thick" MVNO" terminology, or an AT&T MVNO that has "their own LTE core". Can you please name an example of a "thick" MVNO? Thanks.

Feedback Score

Red Pocket is "thick" ?

For what it's worth, red pocket's at&t settings are -

Enter the following:
    Name Red Pocket Mobile
    APN ERESELLER
    Proxy Not set
    Port Not set
    Username Not set
    Password Not set
    Server Not set
    MMSC http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS Port 80
    MCC 310
    MNC 410
    Authentication Type None
    APN Type Default,mms,supl
    APN Protocol IPv4
    Bearer Unspecified

Feedback Score
    Thick MVNOs can make their own rules about what devices are allowed—as long as they actually work,
    Isn't that the key? Regardless whether the thick mvno want's them to be allowed is moot if they won't actually work on ATT towers.
    If ATT says a phone is no longer compatible on it's network, an mvno whether thick or thin, can't over ride that.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Still using a zte flip with my freeup sim. I guess come feb I may have to move that sim over to the OP7. Good thing it's a dual sim phone.

Device(s)
    Fire phone
    Carrier(s)
    Airvoice
    Feedback Score
    This will be "fun" as I'm one of Many using a Huawei phone with Red Pocket. My new Redmi Note 10 Pro isn't on the whitelist, so I need to get a T Mobile SIM from RP in case the ATT one stops working in February.
    "Lfe is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury... signifying nothing"