Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Redpocket - switch carriers without losing plan

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    562
    Device(s)
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    0

    Redpocket - switch carriers without losing plan

    I just bought a Pixel 5a not realizing that my Redpocket Verizon sim will not work properly (no incoming texts) with that phone. I contacted RP and was told that and that I could use the phone with ATT or TM. I have a TM sim coming. My question is: when switching carriers, will I lose the rest of my annual plan (renews in June)? I have the $180 plan so that would mean losing half. What got me thinking about that is the cs rep told me to wait until closer to January 14th (monthly renewal date) to switch carriers.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Willow16; 01-06-2022 at 08:26 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,608
    Feedback Score
    0
    RP somehow killed my Verizon service in my iPhone 13 Pro Max last year. They tried to whitelist the IMEI but that didn't work so they suggested I BUY an AT&T sim. I guess I shamed them into providing the service switch, but they still charged me a months' worth of service by shortening my year of service 30 days. I won't be going back.

    I'm now exploring the Xfinity Verizon plan. I can get two lines for a total of $19.XX a month sharing 1Gb. It is only fallback emergency service, so the data amount doesn't matter. Each line receives a $200 VISA Debit Card for the activation. That will pay for 20 months service I figure.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    562
    Device(s)
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    RP somehow killed my Verizon service in my iPhone 13 Pro Max last year. They tried to whitelist the IMEI but that didn't work so they suggested I BUY an AT&T sim. I guess I shamed them into providing the service switch, but they still charged me a months' worth of service by shortening my year of service 30 days. I won't be going back.

    I'm now exploring the Xfinity Verizon plan. I can get two lines for a total of $19.XX a month sharing 1Gb. It is only fallback emergency service, so the data amount doesn't matter. Each line receives a $200 VISA Debit Card for the activation. That will pay for 20 months service I figure.
    How much time was left on your annual plan? Did you only have 30 days left or more?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,159
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow16 View Post
    I just bought a Pixel 5a not realizing that my Redpocket Verizon sim will not work properly (no incoming texts) with that phone. I contacted RP and was told that and that I could use the phone with ATT or TM. I have a TM sim coming. My question is: when switching carriers, will I lose the rest of my annual plan (renews in June)? I have the $180 plan so that would mean losing half. What got me thinking about that is the cs rep told me to wait until closer to January 14th (monthly renewal date) to switch carriers.

    Thanks!
    the fix for no incoming SMS on Verizon MVNO's for many unlocked devices is to request the service be provisioned as 'CDMAless' this is an issue across all Verizon MVNO's and most recent unlocked devices

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    562
    Device(s)
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    the fix for no incoming SMS on Verizon MVNO's for many unlocked devices is to request the service be provisioned as 'CDMAless' this is an issue across all Verizon MVNO's and most recent unlocked devices
    Yes, I had read that. Unfortunately, Redpocket does not support this right now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,143
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Red pocket definitely supports this. There would be quite an uproar on this forum of it did not work. Lots of users on Red Pocket Verizon.

    Try another service agent

    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by ShredFred; 01-06-2022 at 11:00 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    562
    Device(s)
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Red pocket definitely supports this. There would be quite an uproar on this forum of it did not work. Lots of users on Red Pocket Verizon.

    Try another service agent

    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    I found it on their website that they do not support Verizon 5G right now. I'm just trying to figure out if I will lose my plan by switching carriers in the middle of the year.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,143
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's been reported that some hf members successfully got 5g working on Red Pocket Verizon. Just put their existing sim into a new 5g uw phone and it worked.

    I have not tried yet as I don't have a 5g uw phone yet.

    Don't give up!

    As for your original question, you would probably lose your plan if you switched because switching carriers would require a Sim change from cdma to GSM. It would be easier and cleaner for red pocket to port your number. Usually this cost money too which they'd waive if you were starting new service.

    But there have been reports of people who got it done for free and no loss of plan by complaining that service on the carrier was unacceptable and they need to switch. Most likely, You'll have to pull out your best "I want to speak to a manager" to get it done.

    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    562
    Device(s)
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Came back to update my experiences switching from CDMAV to GSMT on Redpocket. First, it is possible to switch and keep your annual plan. They told me to initiate the switch on the day my plan would renew - January 14th. I got on chat on the 14th and explained what I wanted to do. Everything seemed to go smoothly until the end when I checked both my old phone and my new phone and the old phone still worked and the new one didn't. I hadn't let the CS Rep go so I told her that it wasn't working. Suddenly, she dropped off the chat and in a few seconds was replaced by another CS Rep. She explained that I had been given a new phone number (my phone number wasn't transferred and I have my doubts that my plan was transferred) on the new sim and that my phone number could not be transferred to that sim and I would need another new sim. I told her that I couldn't wait another month because my old phone was not working properly. She said she would expedite sending out the new sim and leave a note on my account. All of that took an hour and a quarter.

    I got the new sim the next day and initiated a chat session. I explained what had happened and that I wanted to transfer my phone number and my annual plan to the new T-Mobile sim. This rep told me that I should wait until my renew date (2/13) so I didn't lose a month of my plan. I pushed back and said I could not wait and that it was their fault that I didn't do the transfer on the 14th. He was able to do the transfer without me losing a month of service. Before I got off the chat I verified that the plan had been transferred and, I think, the rep hadn't done it because he had me hold on for a while longer.

    Now, everything is working fine and my plan is exactly the same as it was. What I learned is that you have to verify everything more than once with Red Pocket CS. Don't think that asking in the beginning to have your plan transferred means that they did it or that they will transfer your phone number without checking with them again.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,608
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow16 View Post
    How much time was left on your annual plan? Did you only have 30 days left or more?
    One line only had a few weeks left. The other was about 1&1/2 months. The Xfinity/Verizon deal required a port in, so they seemed to be a good fit for that promo. I notice now the rebate has dropped to $100 per line, so I'm glad I made the switch when I did.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-17-2014, 12:19 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-31-2010, 08:07 AM
  3. Switching carriers without the fee?
    By Wisetech45 in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 03:29 AM
  4. Switching Phones without changing plans
    By Lather164 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2004, 08:22 PM
  5. Switch Carriers without paying Termination Fees!?!
    By alobar in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-13-2003, 02:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks