Thread: Verizon eliminating unlimited 5G hotspot for OLD plans

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Verizon eliminating unlimited 5G hotspot for OLD plans

Quote from https://www.pcmag.com/news/verizons-...e-key-feature:

The carrier confirmed to PCMag that later this month, hotspot data allowances will start to apply to subscribers on the carrier's fastest 5G network. This change will apply both to people on existing plans and those on the carrier's new plans, the carrier said.
    It's really upsetting to know that they are retroactively changing plans that were offered just 2 days ago.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Directly relevant:

Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    By the way, a sneaky detail I noticed is that even on the new 5G Get More Unlimited plan, hotspot is deprioritized after 50 GB of on-device usage in addition to hotspot being throttled (600 Kbps on LTE & 5G Nationwide, 3 Mbps on 5G UW) after 50 GB of hotspot usage. So while it’s true that the on-device data is truly unlimited, there is still a penalty for using more than 50 GB of on-device data within one billing cycle: Your hotspot traffic no longer being premium data, even when you haven’t used up your monthly hotspot allocation.

Ugh. Hotspot should never be deprioritized on 5G Get More Unlimited, even though it’s throttled past 50 GB of hotspot usage. The whole point of the plan was supposed to be always having your speeds prioritized.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if this also includes the plans from 8/5/2019 to 8/19/2020. All plans clearly stated - Unlimited Data on 5G UWB, 4k HD Streaming on 5G UWB, and Unlimited Hotspot on 5G UWB. It was included on Play More, Do More, and Get More. Start Unlimited had the option but required paying $10 more.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The way the article is written, it sounds like they're clawing back unlimited 5G hotspot for non-current plans as well.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the limit on 5G Ultra Wideband hotspotting is retroactive. It's just like when Verizon added the video throttle — it retroactively applied to all plans rather than just applying to the most recent plans.

I reiterate: I REALLY wish Verizon would add a third 5G branding category for mmWave so that mmWave could stay truly unlimited, and my suggestion for doing so would be calling mmWave 5G UW+.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Yes, the limit on 5G Ultra Wideband hotspotting is retroactive. It's just like when Verizon added the video throttle — it retroactively applied to all plans rather than just applying to the most recent plans.

I reiterate: I REALLY wish Verizon would add a third 5G branding category for mmWave so that mmWave could stay truly unlimited, and my suggestion for doing so would be calling mmWave 5G UW+.
    Or they could have just put c-band on Nationwide and since everyone knows Nationwide has limits no one could be that mad and mmwave could still be unlimited. At the end of the day I think once they have the full amount of C-band they'll these limits is not get rid of them. I predicted they do something like this once they decide C-band would be part of UW because most people on c-band won't have access to mmwave and 60 MHz is just not going to allow for unlimited hotspot. Also remember T-Mobile and at&t don't even have a 3 Mbps option in their UC or 5G+ areas. After 40 GB it's 600 kbps PERIOD with T-Mobile and it's 128 Kbps with at&t

Feedback Score
    Also Verizon needs to update it's prepaid plan terms because the website is still showing Unlimited Plus getting unlimited hotspot in UWB areas