Thread: AT&T “Retires” Pay-As-You-Go Plans

Feedback Score

AT&T “Retires” Pay-As-You-Go Plans

I don't know for sure if this is true or not, but I saw the following posted elsewhere. If anyone else can confirm, please post. Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/frbq3Rd.jpg
    "Effective January 5, 2022 the $2 and .25 per minute plans are being retired. You can continue use these plans as long as your account remains active."

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Confirmed. Saw it on reddit this morning and just verified on my account.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    Confirmed. Saw it on reddit this morning and just verified on my account.
    Okay. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    The prepaidcompare.net website has removed the pay-as-you-go plans from its "AT&T Prepaid Profile" page.

https://prepaidcompare.net/profiles/at-t-prepaid.html

Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    While they weren't the best deal, they were one of the cheapest ways to add a second line on an eSIM (especially now that T-Mobile's $3/month paygo plan is long-dead).

Feedback Score
    I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but it sort of seems like AT&T is gradually winding down AT&T Prepaid. AT&T no longer sells AT&T Prepaid phones via AT&T corporate stores or via Best Buy stores. AT&T stopped those two distribution channels for prepaid phones a few months ago. And now AT&T Prepaid has stopped offering pay-as-you-go plans.

Feedback Score
    I have a relative who is on AT&T Prepaid, on an old 10 cents/minute plan. She started out on a flip phone, then moved to a smartphone. I don't believe she ever set up an online account. In fact, she doesn't use that phone/service much at all. I wonder if I need to tell her to do something? I don't want her to be surprised by some sudden changes.

Thanks for any suggestions and help!
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code RBKV-896C. You get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone! and you get a huge thank-you for helping me!

To those who already have Tracfone - this Holiday season, please consider using my referral code (instead of doing a self-referral) if you sign up for new service - you’ll get great karma! and my eternal gratitude!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    I have a relative who is on AT&T Prepaid, on an old 10 cents/minute plan. She started out on a flip phone, then moved to a smartphone. I don't believe she ever set up an online account. In fact, she doesn't use that phone/service much at all. I wonder if I need to tell her to do something? I don't want her to be surprised by some sudden changes.

AT&T seems to be good about grandfathering plans. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post

My mom was on the .10/min ($1/daily?) plan when I took it over. I set up an online account so that I could manage it better, e.g., refills. Later, I upgraded the device from a flip phone to a smartphone and then switched to a monthly plan to burn the carryover balance. All of which was facilitated by having the online account. Avoided having to deal with CS over the phone. If she's only going to just keep topping off she might not need the account but maybe down the line it'd be easier long term.

Feedback Score
    The step daughter had the 2/day plan and att really wanted her off of it if she called in about anything. She was adding data here and there and it stopped working. Tried her sim in different phones, no data. Tried the phones with an att postpaid sim and data worked on same phones.

Customer service never could get her data to work on that plan. She switched to monthly plan and data worked instantly so it seems like att isn't putting much thought into making those plans work correctly. Not saying they gimped the plan on purpose, just that it's not on their priority list anymore if it ever was.

She doesn't miss the plan now that she can use her phone much more.

I'm thinking att will eventually phase out att prepaid and keep their prepaid on cricket, but just a guess and don't know for sure.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by daisydoo; 01-12-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
    The step daughter had the 2/day plan and att really wanted her off of it if she called in about anything. She was adding data here and there and it stopped working. Tried her sim in different phones, no data. Tried the phones with an att postpaid sim and data worked on same phones.

Customer service never could get her data to work on that plan. She switched to monthly plan and data worked instantly so it seems like att isn't putting much thought into making those plans work correctly. Not saying they gimped the plan on purpose, just that it's not on their priority list anymore if it ever was.

She doesn't miss the plan now that she can use her phone much more.

I'm thinking att will eventually phase out att prepaid and keep their prepaid on cricket, but just a guess and don't know for sure.

Data on the two paygo plans are very expensive. I have a line parked on the .25/min plan, switched from monthly, but I don't even keep that phone turned on for fear on incurring data costs. It'll drain your balance in no time if you're not careful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    Data on the two paygo plans are very expensive. I have a line parked on the .25/min plan, switched from monthly, but I don't even keep that phone turned on for fear on incurring data costs. It'll drain your balance in no time if you're not careful.
    Yeah they aren't economical especially if you want to use a decent amount of data. When I had the 2 plan i would often incur the $2 charge while I was using my phone. A call would come in and while typing it would answer the call. It was a pain so I ended up switching to a monthly plan. Just yesterday went all out and signed up for the elite plan. I was pro prepaid but some stuff will always be gimped on prepaid

Device(s)
    LG G8X
    Carrier(s)
    At&t Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomgup View Post
    I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but it sort of seems like AT&T is gradually winding down AT&T Prepaid. AT&T no longer sells AT&T Prepaid phones via AT&T corporate stores or via Best Buy stores. AT&T stopped those two distribution channels for prepaid phones a few months ago. And now AT&T Prepaid has stopped offering pay-as-you-go plans.
    At&t Prepaid has made no secret that they wanted their customers to move over to longer term, yearly and monthly plans. The idea was to use Prepaid as a stepping stone before shifting into more profitable post paid plans as well as Direct TV and other services. As for phones, with LG exiting the phone business, along with HTC and other players like ZTE, the supply of entry level phones has virtually dried up. Pretty much all of the available phones are mid tier and higher. I don't think Prepaid is going away, it is more like At&t is trying to blur the lines between Prepaid and Postpaid.