Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Blocking Apple Private Relay

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile Blocking Apple Private Relay

Harkening back to their 1933-1945 heritage, T-Mobile begins blocking Apple's iCloud Private Relay in order to continue intercepting customer traffic for whatever purpose.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/10/t-mob...private-relay/

Not a good look.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    AFAIK this product is still in beta.

I use T-Mobile and Iím able to toggle it: off/on on my iPhone 13 OS 15.1.1

Name:  IMG_0059.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  31.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    ďThe Internet wasnít meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so itís insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead ó itís a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.Ē John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile Blocking Apple Private Relay

Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    AFAIK this product is still in beta.

I use T-Mobile and Iím able to toggle it: off/on on my iPhone 13 OS 15.1.1

Name:  IMG_0059.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  31.1 KB

Youíre on Wi-Fi, turn off Wi-Fi and try toggling it, if it doesnít work then you have web filtering enabled somewhere.

Anyways, apparently the blocking isnít intentional on T-Mobileís part, they claim itís to ensure their web filtering services work correctly. They claim to have no plans to expand the blocking to customers who donít use their web guard service, but, it should be noted that tmobiles parent company is one of the companies in Europe fighting to have this feature blocked, claiming it somehow hampers their ability to collect data for ďnetwork managementĒ

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Name:  IMG_0060.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  31.2 KB

I can still toggle it off/on over NR. Iím on Sprint billing. Not sure if that matters?

Feedback Score
    The Beta version is included in iCloud+ on my 13 Pro Max running iOS 15.2. Cost is $.99 a month and gives 50Gb of storage and a few other features.

Seems like a major yawn to me.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Anyways, apparently the blocking isnít intentional on T-Mobileís part, they claim itís to ensure their web filtering services work correctly. They claim to have no plans to expand the blocking to customers who donít use their web guard service, but, it should be noted that tmobiles parent company is one of the companies in Europe fighting to have this feature blocked, claiming it somehow hampers their ability to collect data for ďnetwork managementĒ

"Web filtering" !? That's a bit of an issue. Also "blocking customers who don't use their web guard service" !? That will be an issue. If someone wishes to use a VPN, they should not be 'blocked'. If I wish to tunnel my traffic, who is T-Mobile to say that I can't ?
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    I find it amazing anyone stands up to apple at least anyone with operations in the USA.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 01.18.22

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    "Web filtering" !? That's a bit of an issue. Also "blocking customers who don't use their web guard service" !? That will be an issue. If someone wishes to use a VPN, they should not be 'blocked'. If I wish to tunnel my traffic, who is T-Mobile to say that I can't ?
    I donít disagree, but apparently they say their web content filtering cannot work properly if apples private relay is enabled. Thatís their claim. I agree itís a bad look, and also can have some bad consequences for everyone in the future. The weird part is a lot of European carriers are fighting against apples private relay, claiming it hampers their ability to collect data for network management, Tmobiles European business are one of those carriers. I know people will say they are separate from T-Mobile U.S. and they are, but they are owned by the same company, and the same person sits on the head of the board for all of them. Time will tell what happens, but, if T-Mobile starts blocking this, itís only a matter of time before Verizon does, then AT&T does. Itís a slippery slope that I hope T-Mobile doesnít try to go down. There is zero legitimate reason for any isp to know every bit of info on a person when they are online.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Thatís the problem. All the service providers that we are paying good money to for a service now think itís A-OK to intercept every bit of our data for their own use.

If people want to trade off their personal information for free services, I guess nothing can stop them. But network providers can and should be held to a higher standard than some app because of the sheer volume of data they have the capability to collect.

Sure, today, they might simply be targeting ads and selling anonymized demographic profiles but the capabilities can and eventually will be used (if they arenít being used already for) far more nefarious purposes.

All the carriers gloss over how theyíre using our data against us. But it should be obvious if a beta iOS feature scares them this bad, thereís a lot more going on than meets the eye.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    I donít disagree, but apparently they say their web content filtering cannot work properly if apples private relay is enabled. Thatís their claim. I agree itís a bad look, and also can have some bad consequences for everyone in the future. The weird part is a lot of European carriers are fighting against apples private relay, claiming it hampers their ability to collect data for network management, Tmobiles European business are one of those carriers. I know people will say they are separate from T-Mobile U.S. and they are, but they are owned by the same company, and the same person sits on the head of the board for all of them. Time will tell what happens, but, if T-Mobile starts blocking this, itís only a matter of time before Verizon does, then AT&T does. Itís a slippery slope that I hope T-Mobile doesnít try to go down. There is zero legitimate reason for any isp to know every bit of info on a person when they are online.

This reminds me of the old http url injection. Having corporations blocking services of another, especially 'competition'.
    Network management still exists. This is more about 'deep packet inspection', or basically a side business of harvesting and reselling metrics. Companies like 'express vpn' or even my own work connection (Cisco) has its own tunnel. If T-Mobile isn't blocking these VPN networks... why is it blocking Apple's ? Scale ? That's a pretty poor answer on T-Mobile's part, and won't pass muster. T-Mobile to want to have some 'payment' to enable reminds me of cable companies wanting to be paid extra to allow Netflix on "its" network.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    All the carriers gloss over how theyíre using our data against us. But it should be obvious if a beta iOS feature scares them this bad, thereís a lot more going on than meets the eye.

Yup. While I don't always care for VPN's (basically allows a different single provider to capture all of your data), you will have your data captured.. shed cookies, https-everywhere, and disable 3rd-party cookies (you'll be surprised how much traffic comes in). Face it.. most, if not all of your traffic will be snarfed at one end, or the other.. as well as the point in between. This is akin to people going out in public and having cameras from government or civilians capturing you. Not ISP will sell you privacy. At the best, some may claim that they won't track you... for a monthly payment.

Feedback Score
    Are they going to blame it on the VPN interfering with least cost routing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Probably. While in reality... it may be also eating profits from data harvesting.

Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    From a technical standpoint, Apple's iCloud Private Relay seems to be more of a DNS bypass with ways to obfuscate the external IP, too (as opposed to a VPN tunneling everything). It still works on all the T-Mobile lines I tried it on, but I also read Apple's technical documentation on the matter: https://developer.apple.com/support/...private-relay/

By simply preventing two items from resolving, it can be blocked on any network. I verified this at work and got a similar message to what folks were seeing with some T-Mobile accounts.

I'm all for holding ISPs/carriers accountable and know that there's a lot of skeezy data mining, but it also seems that T-Mobile has had some flaky DNS situations in the past and something like that could be contributing.

Finally, I've seen a lot of people making the assumption that TMUS is being run the same as the various counterparts in Europe that are wholly owned by Deutsche Telekom (or EE now being wholly owned by BT Group in the UK). DT has <50% share of TMUS, meaning that if there's something being objected to over there, it may never be rolled out here, despite similar branding.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    This article was updated twice today:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...te-relay-block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast