Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Flip Phone Purchase Advice

Feedback Score

Seeking Flip Phone Purchase Advice

Hi all,

You guys were really helpful awhile back in helping me get my first cellphone. Thanks again for that. You helped me buy a Doro flip phone which I really like, but it's being phased out with the end of 3G. I thought it would be wise to seek your expert advice before buying a new phone.

- I'm using H20 Wireless, which I believe is a reseller of Consumer Cellular. Anyway, I'm happy there and wish to continue with H20 Wireless. Costs only $10 every 90 days, and I never use up all the minutes.

- I'm also happy with flip phones, as I use my phone primarily for emergency communications. I don't need or want a smart phone.

- I need 4G obviously.

I should probably just buy another Doro, but given how little I know, I thought I'd check with you first to see what I can learn.

Thanks again for this helpful forum.

Feedback Score
    Would the product, Nokia 6300 4GB, as listed on the H2O site for $70 be acceptable to you?

I shopped for and 'determined' which devices I could use, directly visiting the carriers' site but for you, by also include visiting the AT&T site would be worth the effort. That is the network that H2O Wireless uses. Be sure too, to read the necessary technical information about each device for , is it what you want, can afford, and to be sure again it will work for your carrier.

Feedback Score
    The Nokia 6300 4G is a candybar not a flip.

Kind of wish smart phones had never been invented. I enjoyed my clamshells. But now I couldn't go back to a feature phone.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 01.18.22

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    The Nokia 6300 4G is a candybar not a flip.

Kind of wish smart phones had never been invented. I enjoyed my clamshells. But now I couldn't go back to a feature phone.
    I should have watched your description what you wanted more carefully. I took "flip" as any kind o non-smartphone, but obviously, the clamshell design is not what you want. Advice now from someone else maybe. Anyone else.

You might try looking at https://www.att.com/buy/phones/ but I figure you will not be too happy what you find there.
    Last edited by joseg2016; 01-10-2022 at 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling, additional information to check

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    As far as I know the off the shelf at Walmart ATT Go Phones will work by just inserting the H2O SIM. It worked several times for me but that was 3 years ago.
    Looks like the AT&T Alcatel SmartFlip Phone, 4GB might work, it's only $30. H2O sim should work in that one. Reviews of it weren't really great.

It's terrible how they rip you off for a flip phone that will still work a few years longer.
    They don't make as many so the price is higher.

Feedback Score
    Afaik clamshell & flip are the same.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Afaik clamshell & flip are the same.
    Yes. You wanted a 'candybar' form of cellular phone. That AT&T page in post #4 showed ONE item that looks like what you might want. If so, you'll need to do some extra checking to find if H2O would accept it.

Clamshell Design - you open and close it the way a clam would itself, but your hand/s are the muscle part.

Flip - because you might be skillful enough to be able to unfold (open ) the phone using one hand. Or you hold with one hand and flip open the covering screen using the other hand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Would the product, Nokia 6300 4GB, as listed on the H2O site for $70 be acceptable to you?
    That did look good in one of the reviews I read, but the comment section was filled with complaints. Many of the complaints were about poor audio, which would be an issue for my geezer ears. I'm coming to the conclusion that most of the review sites (probably on just about anything) are just affiliate sales pages that promote whatever company offers the best commissions.

I would just buy the Doro 7050 and be done with it, but I'm confused by how that's being sold. I see the same unit being sold by various vendors for $50 - $250, and everything in between. The Doro site doesn't sell the unit, and it's not on Amazon best I can tell. Not sure what all this means, but it doesn't smell right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Guy View Post
    That did look good in one of the reviews I read, but the comment section was filled with complaints. Many of the complaints were about poor audio, which would be an issue for my geezer ears. I'm coming to the conclusion that most of the review sites (probably on just about anything) are just affiliate sales pages that promote whatever company offers the best commissions.

I would just buy the Doro 7050 and be done with it, but I'm confused by how that's being sold. I see the same unit being sold by various vendors for $50 - $250, and everything in between. The Doro site doesn't sell the unit, and it's not on Amazon best I can tell. Not sure what all this means, but it doesn't smell right.
    Beware the ATT new compatibility lists which is slated to be effective next month. No Doro's on it that I see. That's likely why you don't see the 7050 except used one's or vendors not being upfront about the ATT pending incompatibility.

FYI H2O is not a reseller of Consumer Cellular, they're both ATT mvno's. Though I believe Consumer also uses TMobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Beware the ATT new compatibility lists which is slated to be effective next month. No Doro's on it that I see. That's likely why you don't see the 7050 except used one's or vendors not being upfront about the ATT pending incompatibility.
    Ah, well this looks important, thank you. Could you please advise me of where I might find this list?

Thanks also for the clarification on H2O. So if I want to stick with H2O I need to get a phone declared compatible with ATT, right?

I'm again glad I asked for help here, as I was about to buy a phone that would be dead in a month.

PS: I now realize the Nokia phone I read bad reviews about was not the Nokia 6300. Will investigate Nokia 6300 with fresh eyes.

Feedback Score
    After reading some Nokia 6300 reviews, I'm again reminded that I don't really want a smartphone, even one touted as being a basic smartphone. I'm REALLY nerdy on my Mac, and don't need another place to be nerdy. I don't need or want a bunch of phone apps, especially when multiple reviews report they don't actually work. Sadly, the OS for the Nokia 6300 appears to be widely hated.

What I love about my soon to be dead Doro is:

1) very simple to use,

2) makes voice calls,

3) does texts, and...

4) it folds over on itself so I can toss it in my hiking backpack knowing the screen is protected.

5) reliable, has never crashed or otherwise failed me.

So it appears I'm looking for a basic but reliable flip phone that will work with ATT.

Device(s)
    A51, A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL/4a5G, Moto E6/G7 Power/Z3 Play/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I would suggest the AT&T Prepaid Alcatel SmartFlip. It is $30 at Walmart and Target. Don't let them offer to activate it (on AT&T Prepaid), just
    remove the AT&T SIM and use your H2O SIM in it. I don't know if your current phone has a nano-size SIM. If not, you will need to get a new H2O SIM.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-T-Alca...4?athbdg=L1300

Feedback Score
    Another alternative but probably not what you think you want:
    Some smartphones are inexpensive (sometimes, depends on model and brand and when or where your purchase it).
    You could learn to use a smartphone just for calls and texts. You might actually like the touchscreen keyboard. You do not NEED to download more apps, if you prefer to not use them. Eventually you really might want to use a few of them. Have you ever wished you could use email on your mobile device?

If you decide to go this route, find something which is at least 5.5 inch diagonal in size.
    Last edited by joseg2016; 01-12-2022 at 09:39 PM. Reason: additional advice

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Guy View Post
    Ah, well this looks important, thank you. Could you please advise me of where I might find this list?

Thanks also for the clarification on H2O. So if I want to stick with H2O I need to get a phone declared compatible with ATT, right?

I'm again glad I asked for help here, as I was about to buy a phone that would be dead in a month.

PS: I now realize the Nokia phone I read bad reviews about was not the Nokia 6300. Will investigate Nokia 6300 with fresh eyes.
    Just google ATT compatible phones and ATT unlocked compatible. There's 2 pdf lists.
    The Nokia6300 is on the list as is the ATT SmartFlip mframe mentioned, (likely your best option.) Note the model number of the phones, not just the name. Model numbers mean more to compatibility on ATT, TMO, or Vzw then just the name.
    The Nokia, as well as most all flips out there use the KaiOS OS, just different versions, bells and whistles.
    Unless you shell out $100+ you won't find a current flip that's going to be as sturdy as the old flips.

Feedback Score
    Gotta say, I am amazed how much bother and expense folks are willing to endure to have a mobile phone. Wouldn't it be easier to just not have friends? :-)

I found this at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Alca...devices&sr=1-4

But as usual, being Clueless Guy I have no idea what much of the description refers to.

Am I on the right track with this phone?

Can you remind me what PREPAID means?

Currently I pay $10 per quarter in advance to H2O, and never use all the minutes. I have a $46 balance in my account because the unused minutes roll over month to month.

I do have a support email in to H20 but haven't heard back from them yet.

I found the ATT approved list, thanks for the pointer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast