Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you block a number from texting w/o opening/receiving the actaul text?

Feedback Score

Can you block a number from texting w/o opening/receiving the actaul text?

I have a Moto g7 Optimo Maxx phone w/ Tracfone service. I use annual plans where you get X minutes calling, X number of texts and X MB data, not a monthly unlimited plan. Someone has gotten my phone number and is sending texts about wanting to buy my condo. Each text is the same area code but the number is different each time. I've been blocking them, but since it's TF, I have to "pay" for each text (each text is deducted from my text balance). I don't want them to burn up my balance and have to keep buying text cards. Is there anyway I can block a number w/o having to open the text and thereby reduce my balance? TIA!

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    With a phone using the 3-bucket system, the incoming text is deducted from your balance when it's received by TF or the carrier system (before going to your phone), whether you open it or not.

Since they keep changing the number, your only chance of blocking them is by area code if your phone has that feature. But if you receive many legit calls/text from that area code, then it's not a good solution.

Feedback Score
    Well, poo! I don;t gt calls form that A/C 803, but I don;t see a way to block an A/C. I do get a message every time I block/spam report, but it says to go to Verizon to block the sender. I don't have a Verizon acct, assume I get that because my phone is using Verizon towers? I've only gotten 5 tests so far; if it gets bad, I guess I'll have to change my number. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    You can buy 1000 texts for 5 dollars. And you have only received 5 so far. Doesn't sound like a big deal, except for the annoyance.

Feedback Score
    True, but it just started yesterday, and the message is exactly the same. I am preparing for an onslaught.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kc classic View Post
    You can buy 1000 texts for 5 dollars. And you have only received 5 so far. Doesn't sound like a big deal, except for the annoyance.
    If that is for 1 year, then maybe not too bad; but then Straitlover is still buying more texts than he needs just to feed the waste.

Maybe by some chance, just MAYBE, my own use of forwarding text message to 7726 is causing a decrease in the quantity of spam/wasted text message sent to me. (Account using a 'flip' phone). I still receive a few stupid spam texts, but not as many as several weeks ago.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Maybe by some chance, just MAYBE, my own use of forwarding text message to 7726 is causing a decrease in the quantity of spam/wasted text message sent to me. I still receive a few stupid spam texts, but not as many as several weeks ago.
    1. What (short code) is 7726?
    2. Do you get charged for forwarding a text to 7726? If yes, that would be 2 deducted texts for every text you received and forwarded.

Device(s)
    ZTE Blade A3 Joy
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In most cases, you are charged for the txt sent to your phone - regardless of if you open it or not.

Once your phone receives the txt, which is before you even get notified, it counts on the network as received.

Sent from my Z5156CC using HoFo mobile app
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    2. Do you get charged for forwarding a text to 7726? If yes, that would be 2 deducted texts for every text you received and forwarded.
    7726 = spam

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straitlover View Post
    Well, poo! I don;t gt calls form that A/C 803, but I don;t see a way to block an A/C. I do get a message every time I block/spam report, but it says to go to Verizon to block the sender. I don't have a Verizon acct, assume I get that because my phone is using Verizon towers? I've only gotten 5 tests so far; if it gets bad, I guess I'll have to change my number. Thanks!
    The spammer/scammer will probably move on to other numbers before long. I would wait it out for at least a week.

Yes, it is annoying, but texts are a half cent each. It takes a lot to amount to more than anything trivial in cost.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The spammer/scammer will probably move on to other numbers before long. I would wait it out for at least a week.

Yes, it is annoying, but texts are a half cent each. It takes a lot to amount to more than anything trivial in cost.
    Prices for text messages depend on the carrier and the plan. Some people are charged $0.06 per text. (Six cents).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post

(1)
    According to the arrangement labeling on the T9 keypad, SPAM is 7726.

(2)
    I would need to check very carefully, but I believe if you even forward a text message to 7726, your account IS charged for the sending of it.

Like I am sensing and have said, just maybe this is having an effect, like I am getting fewer what seem like misdirected text messgs. to me, but they are still coming to me.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A51, Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    For those who don't know ...

7726 is the shortcode for the GSMA's Spam Reporting Service. If you are an AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, or Bell customer, you can report spam text messages by forwarding them to 7726 (which spells "SPAM") free of charge.

How to Report a Spam Text
    https://www.wikihow.com/Report-a-Spa...%20of%20charge.

---------------------------------------

For the past several weeks now, my normally quiet TF/AT&T line had received 5-6 spam texts. Some are from GMail addresses that are offering a "good time." The rest are coming from spoofed numbers, that is, landline numbers from around the country, which are claiming to be free AT&T text messages to tell me that my monthly bill has been paid. The texts include a live link which I'm supposed to click on for a "free gift." The free gift is undoubtedly a virus or malware that will be downloaded to my cell, if I am dumb enough to click on the links.

Since I am using Google Messages as my texting app, Google normally catches these spam texts as they arrive. Google then automatically notifies AT&T of the offending text and adds the offending phone number to my block list. Eventually, I received a free text from AT&T acknowledging the offending text. I assume that Google takes care of its offending GMail texts.

So, the only charge to my text bucket is the original spam text. No way to avoid that charge.

Feedback Score
    ShadowyD,

Interesting information, post #13.

Each time I have been forwarding SPAM(?) to 7726 (from my PPC line on flip phone), VERIZON sends me a text message acknowledging the report.

The text-message conversations which I have been receiving usually look like people sending each other messages, like they are acquaintance or part of some group or community, sometimes with links in them, sometimes with phone numbers in them. Sometimes the messages in the conversations, even if just one single message, are other things.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    The text-message conversations which I have been receiving usually look like people sending each other messages, like they are acquaintance or part of some group or community, sometimes with links in them, sometimes with phone numbers in them.
    One time I activated a test SIM and the number assigned to it used to belong to someone in a group of football fans. Each time there was a major game going, I got a bunch of group texts from them, discussing every play, teasing the others about their teams, etc. I finally had to change the phone number.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast