Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WHAT is wrong with T-Mobile 5G?

Device(s)
    iphone 12, pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

WHAT is wrong with T-Mobile 5G?

When 5g first rolled out here, speeds were slightly better than LTE. Months later, 5g got pretty good and I was getting great download speeds, usually over 400mbps.

Now, for whatever reason, it seems 5g is barely usable in many areas I frequent here in Southern California. I am averaging speeds half as fast as LTE on my ipnone 12 at my home which had been a great spot for 5g a year ago. I get about 60-80mbps and LTE at over 150mbps.

WHAT is going on? Is 5g so over saturated on T-Mobile in Southern California that it is just not reliable anymore? I don't even use my phone on 5g at this point and just leave it on LTE. Much more reliable.

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Galaxy Tab 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They could still be upgrading their towers and merging Sprint into TMobile. TMobile is adding a lot of new customers causing congestion and all sorts of problems. Im also hearing a lot of their customers are pulling their hair out because they can not figure out why their service isn't working or some other kind of problem. I mean Tmo has the floor! Speak ...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iphone 12, pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Mid band 5g towers were implemented here last spring. That's when I started seeing 400mbps and better. Frankly I don't understand how merging Sprint has any effect on currently used T-Mobile towers but what do I know other than the fact that T-Mobile 5g really sucks here now.

Why can't technology just come to the realization that sometimes it's more important to make things work correctly rather than come out with new stuff every other year? Every single time something new comes along (and this seems to happen every year) we go back to working out bugs and are told to be patient while things are worked out and the new stuff is made to work correctly. Then when that happens, something else comes along to replace it and we start the cycle all over again.

Frankly, I think consumers need 5g like a great big hole in the head.

Device(s)
    ZTE Blade A3 Joy
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    Mid band 5g towers were implemented here last spring. That's when I started seeing 400mbps and better. Frankly I don't understand how merging Sprint has any effect on currently used T-Mobile towers but what do I know other than the fact that T-Mobile 5g really sucks here now.

Why can't technology just come to the realization that sometimes it's more important to make things work correctly rather than come out with new stuff every other year? Every single time something new comes along (and this seems to happen every year) we go back to working out bugs and are told to be patient while things are worked out and the new stuff is made to work correctly. Then when that happens, something else comes along to replace it and we start the cycle all over again.

Frankly, I think consumers need 5g like a great big hole in the head.
    The merger with Sprint is what gave TMO those mid band 5g bands.

Without Sprint n41, T-Mobile would not have had any mid band 5g.

Sent from my Z5156CC using HoFo mobile app
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm assuming that you were using n71 (LTE + n71) NSA and getting ~400Mbps. n71 has been heavily used, and you're lucky to get anything useful out of it. I'd recommend (if you can) disabling n71, and using n41 with LTE. I'm still hitting 600-1200Mbps here on n41 + B66 + B2
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 16G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I get poor 5g speeds…. Too poor that I turn off 5g most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iphone 12, pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I realize the mid band is due to the Sprint merger. It's just that it worked great in the beginning but has deteriorated ever since.

I cannot disable n71 unless I disable 5g altogether (which I have done). What a waste!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max, Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max, Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max, Note 20 Ultra 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I get incredible speeds on my iPhone 13 Pro Max on T-Mobile 5G here in the San Gabriel Valley. I get faster speeds at home now as long as I get 5GUC. I use to get 150 mbps but now get over 900 mbps.

Feedback Score
    Or what is wrong with 5G overall? On T-Mobile. I can usually get 60 or so mbps on LTE, but only about 20 mbps on 5G. Needless to say, 5G is turned off and I am not looking back..

Then there is my brother on an iPhone on AT&T. He went to downtown Chicago: the 5G was running at 1 or 2 mbps, pretty much unusable. He shut off 5G and LTE really flew for the rest of his visit. He is not looking back either.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In some areas, like Fillmore, n41 + LTE is poor. That area has one site, and poor backhaul. Lucky to get 10Mbps there last year in 5g n71 NSA, and it has 20x20Aws with 15x15 PCSName:  Screenshot_20220112-072037_Speedtest.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  36.5 KB

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iphone 12, pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
    I get incredible speeds on my iPhone 13 Pro Max on T-Mobile 5G here in the San Gabriel Valley. I get faster speeds at home now as long as I get 5GUC. I use to get 150 mbps but now get over 900 mbps.
    Are you sure you're not measuring the speed of your WiFi?

Device(s)
    iphone 12, pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    In some areas, like Fillmore, n41 + LTE is poor. That area has one site, and poor backhaul. Lucky to get 10Mbps there last year in 5g n71 NSA, and it has 20x20Aws with 15x15 PCSName:  Screenshot_20220112-072037_Speedtest.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  36.5 KB

Your screen shot seems to indicate WiFi is turned on, no? As I asked in my previous thread to another poster...are you sure you're not measuring the speed of your Wifi? If WiFi is turned on in your phone, that's exactly what you're doing. Turn it off and do another test, then see what it reports.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No... Wifi is not on. WIfi is on the right as well as 5gUC, signal other OS items. The Left is for items like CellMapper and LTE discovery (in blue)Name:  Screenshot_20220112-143831_Speedtest.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  9.7 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Here you goName:  Screenshot_20220112-150458_Gallery.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  23.7 KB

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max, Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max, Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max, Note 20 Ultra 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    Are you sure you're not measuring the speed of your WiFi?
    Not on WiFi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast