Thread: Can I use S21 and get 5G?

Feedback Score

Can I use S21 and get 5G?

Hi all

According to this whitelist, they support S21 which is a 5G phone

https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...atibility.html

SO, does this mean that if I bought ANY unlocked (or likely, ATT-locked would work too) S21, then it will work on Cricket AND I would get 5G service? (Meaning, I don't need to only buy a CRICKET-SOLD model of phone to get 5G service right??? since Cricket doesn't even sell a "real" S21)

And then I guess the next question is....are people actually seeing any benefits to 5G right now on the ATT network or shall I wait until it gets built out more? I guess honestly with the new Cricket no-speed-limits which give me 70mbps on my Galaxy S10, there isn't a real reason I need to upgrade. I'm probably just starting the mental rationalization process for why I "need to" look into an unlocked S21 if I can find a deal on one used or something

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE, Zmax 2, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    SO, does this mean that if I bought ANY unlocked (or likely, ATT-locked would work too) S21, then it will work on Cricket AND I would get 5G service? (Meaning, I don't need to only buy a CRICKET-SOLD model of phone to get 5G service right??? since Cricket doesn't even sell a "real" S21)
    NO, you must buy the exact model Galaxy S21 5G (SM-G991U1), which is the Factory Unlocked version, to work on Cricket and AT&T.

NOT ANY! You buy an unlocked T-Mobile version. It will not be allowed. You buy an unlocked Verizon version. It will not be allowed. You buy an unlocked International/Latin America version. It will not be allowed.

It must be the U1 version and possibly SM-G991U NO "1", which should be the AT&T variant.

And then I guess the next question is....are people actually seeing any benefits to 5G right now on the ATT network or shall I wait until it gets built out more? I guess honestly with the new Cricket no-speed-limits which give me 70mbps on my Galaxy S10, there isn't a real reason I need to upgrade. I'm probably just starting the mental rationalization process for why I "need to" look into an unlocked S21 if I can find a deal on one used or something
    I feel 5G is still hype and Version 1.0 right now. It's still bleeding edge/buggy/incompatibilities. Yes, some people can get 150+ mbps speeds and the extra spectrum/5G Carrier Aggregation, but the main question is, is it worth it for you to spend extra money for that speed? Like you said 70-80 mbps is about the real world limit for LTE. Do you really need extra speed? For most people that's fast enough for pretty much normal tasks.

I say wait another 3-4 years for more refinement/standardization. Also there's another voice standard that needs to be ironed out, VoNR or Vo5G, like the current VoLTE mess we have.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    NO, you must buy the exact model Galaxy S21 5G (SM-G991U1), which is the Factory Unlocked version, to work on Cricket and AT&T.

NOT ANY! You buy an unlocked T-Mobile version. It will not be allowed. You buy an unlocked Verizon version. It will not be allowed. You buy an unlocked International/Latin America version. It will not be allowed.

It must be the U1 version and possibly SM-G991U NO "1", which should be the AT&T variant.

I feel 5G is still hype and Version 1.0 right now. It's still bleeding edge/buggy/incompatibilities. Yes, some people can get 150+ mbps speeds and the extra spectrum/5G Carrier Aggregation, but the main question is, is it worth it for you to spend extra money for that speed? Like you said 70-80 mbps is about the real world limit for LTE. Do you really need extra speed? For most people that's fast enough for pretty much normal tasks.

I say wait another 3-4 years for more refinement/standardization. Also there's another voice standard that needs to be ironed out, VoNR or Vo5G, like the current VoLTE mess we have.
    Ok makes sense

Yes, I was living with 8mbps for years under Cricket, so 10X that speed is like lightning and honestly I don't know why I need 150mbps vs 70mbps for my usage. So then the only question is if I am getting any real-world benefit from an S21 vs S10, and there it is probably limited to just the camera and the variable refresh rate screen.

I think I will wait it out for now as my S10 still works well for me. A moment of boredom last night perhaps which led me to the rabbit hole of starting to justify a new "necessary" purchase

To your note above however, aren't all those versions SOFTWARE BASED? At least on my S10 they are. The hardware all the same. I flashed my Cricket-purchased S10 to a "U1" unlocked version just by reflashing the firmware. It is the same phone hardware-wise

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE, Zmax 2, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    To your note above however, aren't all those versions SOFTWARE BASED? At least on my S10 they are. The hardware all the same. I flashed my Cricket-purchased S10 to a "U1" unlocked version just by reflashing the firmware. It is the same phone hardware-wise
    Correct, all the flagship Samsung S/Note series, probably since the S7 and above, have identical hardware, except for some International versions which use the Exynos processor. Some of them will even automatically switch the firmware based on the SIM inserted, example load AT&T firmware when an AT&T SIM is installed. If not, people can reflash using Odin like you mentioned.

But AT&T/Cricket is taking the lazy way out. Instead of testing/probing each phone to see if they're VoLTE capable, they just issued a blanket whitelist saying only phones sold by them or are Factory Unlocked/U1 versions are only allowed, identified by the IMEI at birth/production. That's why a lot of people are angry, they have VoLTE capable phones that are not whitelisted. There are a few other manufactures who sell identical hardware phones (Motorola, OnePlus), with different firmwares that can be re-flashed, but only the factory unlocked variant is allowed.

I'm hoping in Feburary that AT&T/Cricket does not go nuclear and do a mass suspension of non-whitelisted phones. I hope they'll still allow unapproved phones to be used on the network. Some non-approved VoLTE capable will continue to work fine. Others will just become data only devices because LTE data is an actual "standard" standard. If the phone LTE capable and has the proper bands, it will still get data fine.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    But AT&T/Cricket is taking the lazy way out. Instead of testing/probing each phone to see if they're VoLTE capable, they just issued a blanket whitelist saying only phones sold by them or are Factory Unlocked/U1 versions are only allowed, identified by the IMEI at birth/production. That's why a lot of people are angry, they have VoLTE capable phones that are not whitelisted. There are a few other manufactures who sell identical hardware phones (Motorola, OnePlus), with different firmwares that can be re-flashed, but only the factory unlocked variant is allowed.
    Very correct about the IMEI checking, at least over time.

I had a T-mo S7 that I flashed to AT&T firmware several months ago (after Cricket started jamming people up for putting sims into unsupported phones) and when I put my sim in it everything continued working. I thought I was free and clear for the 3G shut down.

Wrong. About a month or so later I started getting the "no longer compatible" texts and the call re-directs to the recorded message when making outbound calls.

Feedback Score
    Correct, all the flagship Samsung S/Note series, probably since the S7 and above, have identical hardware, except for some International versions which use the Exynos processor. Some of them will even automatically switch the firmware based on the SIM inserted, example load AT&T firmware when an AT&T SIM is installed. If not, people can reflash using Odin like you mentioned.

I'm hoping in Feburary that AT&T/Cricket does not go nuclear and do a mass suspension of non-whitelisted phones. I hope they'll still allow unapproved phones to be used on the network. Some non-approved VoLTE capable will continue to work fine. Others will just become data only devices because LTE data is an actual "standard" standard. If the phone LTE capable and has the proper bands, it will still get data fine.
    Ahhhhh

I see

That sucks

So even though a reflashed to U1 phone is EXACTLY THE SAME from a hardware and software standpoint as a phone that was "born" as a U1, they won't bother to acknowledge that. It would see not too hard to just check a box in their system that any of the phones that we know are HARDWARE THE SAME could pass muster if they are showing up as a U1 software version of any sort.

Separate question....once all this "new 5G network" goes "live" on Jan 19 (all the news articles about aviation and 5G etc) will we then potentially see a much faster 5G performance on AT&T network?