Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Overseas roaming call charges line items

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Florida unfortunately.
    Posts
    665
    Feedback Score
    0

    Overseas roaming call charges line items

    I知 currently overseas and want to be 100% sure if the calls that I知 making are being charged for or not. When logging into my T-Mobile dot com it shows the telephone number dialed but nothing next to it indicating call costs. Name:  IMG_1777.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  28.0 KB


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,804
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Can I assume you have a postpaid account
    Just another day in paradise.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,180
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    0
    These two calls each show "Wi-Fi call", which means you should not be charged for them. Check each of your calls you've made already to be sure things are working as expected.

    Also, keep in mind that in most cases as long as you have good Wi-Fi, your device should be using Wi-Fi calling. There may be some occasions where it won't work and will fall back to cellular, so try to avoid long calls while you're not stationary avoid too much of an unexpected charge.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,620
    Feedback Score
    0
    The safest way to make WiFi calls to the US while roaming internationally is to put your phone in Airplane mode, then turn WiFi only back on. This guarantees that you will have no cellular service before and during the call. Therefore it cannot be charged against your account line. If you make a WiFi call to number in another roaming country however, it will trigger the $.25 a minute rate for your line. This is the same as if you made that call over cellular. So, you can call home from Australia over WiFi for free, but to order a pizza from across the street, it's $.25 a minute.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    12,879
    Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    To add to that...make sure that you last connected to a a.US carrier before switching to airplane mode and enabling wifi. If you lose wifi and had connected to a foreign carrier, any calls including those going to voice mail typically end up being routed through the last carrier used. Someone will have to verify that.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Florida unfortunately.
    Posts
    665
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the advice. Appreciated it.

    Is there anything I can do regarding spam text messages charges whilst I知 abroad ? I keep getting messages from WellsFargo claiming my card has been blocked. It痴 scam. Yet I assume that text costs me money to receive ?


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,804
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    I keep getting messages from WellsFargo claiming my card has been blocked. It’s scam. Yet I assume that text costs me money to receive ?
    Sadly, I get those messages from Wells Fargo and I have never had an account with them. Wish I could offer a simple answer, but I just ignore them when they come in every couple of months.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,486
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Appreciated it.

    Is there anything I can do regarding spam text messages charges whilst I知 abroad ? I keep getting messages from WellsFargo claiming my card has been blocked. It痴 scam. Yet I assume that text costs me money to receive ?


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Text messages are free to receive. I think most T-Mobile plans have outgoing free as well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Florida unfortunately.
    Posts
    665
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,005
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    I知 currently overseas and want to be 100% sure if the calls that I知 making are being charged for or not. When logging into my T-Mobile dot com it shows the telephone number dialed but nothing next to it indicating call costs. Name:  IMG_1777.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  28.0 KB


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    wi-fi calls should be as your domestic calls, no matter where you are!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Florida unfortunately.
    Posts
    665
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pfwarrior View Post
    Text messages are free to receive. I think most T-Mobile plans have outgoing free as well.
    Even when roaming SMS text messages are free to receive ?( not be confused with iMessages. )

    I received another spam text from someone offering to buy my home. Billing cycle ends tomorrow, so I値l see if that inbound SMS was free or not.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,005
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    Even when roaming SMS text messages are free to receive ?( not be confused with iMessages. )

    I received another spam text from someone offering to buy my home. Billing cycle ends tomorrow, so I値l see if that inbound SMS was free or not.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    It depends on your plan. Many grandfather plan still charges both incoming/outgoing sms

    Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,793
    Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    Even when roaming SMS text messages are free to receive ?( not be confused with iMessages. )
    They are charged the same as if you were in the USA. If you have some bizarre old plan with a text bucket, they are deducted from your bucket or charged as appropriate. All modern plans will be free.
    Donald Newcomb

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,807
    Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    キTキキキMobileキ USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Incoming/outgoing SMS are included/unlimited in modern plans, calls made on a Cellular network are $0.25/min, and WiFi calls are free.

    I've not been billed minues for a Voicemail in ages though, I think they finally fixed that.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Florida unfortunately.
    Posts
    665
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Incoming/outgoing SMS are included/unlimited in modern plans, calls made on a Cellular network are $0.25/min, and WiFi calls are free.

    I've not been billed minues for a Voicemail in ages though, I think they finally fixed that.
    Yeah thanks. That was the case. I wasn稚 charged for the few spam text messages I received when I wasn稚 on Wi-Fi and roaming in the UK.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Overseas UMA calls now being billed as roaming?
    By greatgoogly in forum HotSpot / HotSpot Calling / @ Home
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 01:44 PM
  2. "Phone" line item in Data Charges detail
    By jomo25 in forum Apple
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 12:29 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
  4. Line item question regarding roaming
    By lintuizione in forum Sprint
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-25-2005, 11:11 PM
  5. Incoming call roaming ld charges?
    By greenbed in forum AT&T
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 06:22 PM

Bookmarks