Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should I switch my gUDP to the new 5G Get More plan?

Feedback Score

Question Should I switch my gUDP to the new 5G Get More plan?

Hey everyone. I need some advice and facts please. I cant believe Im saying this or even uttering these words, but Im considering switching to Verizons new 5G Get More unlimited plan.

Ive had my gUDP plan for a decade, since 2012. I did an assumption of liability to get it back in the day. Since then Ive jumped through all the hoops and been through hell trying to keep the plan intact in my account, adding 2 year contracts and other tactics like many of you have as well. I even lost the plan once through Verizons mistake and had to attempt 6 IPAs just to get it back.

I really thought I would take my unicorn gUDP plan to the grave with me and never let it go. But now, seeing Verizons new 5G Get More plan, Im actually considering the possibility of switching. The new perks and access to unthrottled data plus UWB seems better than what Im currently getting.

Im currently paying around $106 a month for my gUDP plan. I receive a 20% employers discount for a company I no longer work for & for some reason its still applied to my account. I changed my calling plan from the $15/30 min loyalty to the $64.99 Any Mobile 450 minute plan (the central Texas promo plan) around 2017 because I wanted to stop using Google Voice and this plan was essentially unlimited calling to any mobile phone plus texting. Had to change my area code to Texas just to get it lol. At the time I thought that plan seemed golden.

Fast forward to 2019, I used above 450 minutes on my plan and was charged major overages. I talked to a few reps and got the charges credited, but I questioned why there were overages since I was mainly only calling mobile numbers that month. I explained to the rep that my plan was unlimited calling to any mobile number. The rep said no, my plan is only unlimited calling to Verizon phones. I tried to disagree but I couldnt find the official press release for my special Texas promo plan saying otherwise so its my word against theirs. Apparently Verizon took this feature off the plan or messed something up technically and there was no mention of it.

I didnt want the calling plan if it wasnt actually unlimited calling to mobile so I tried to change my plan back to the loyalty $15/30 minute but the reps were no longer able to change plan codes by that time. Even retention reps and Win Back dept couldnt do it. I filed a few IPAs but they were denied.

Since then Ive just kept my plan as is, overpaying for a calling plan I dont want just to keep my gUDP. In the last year Ive seen many people on here getting their Nationwide plan upped to unlimited mins for the same price. Mine finally changed to unlimited mins a few months ago. Thats great, but at the same time, its annoying and unfair that Im paying substantially more for a retired calling plan that now gets the same amount of mins (unlimited) as lower tiered Nationwide plans that also now have unlimited mins and theyre paying less for the same thing and I cant ever change this plan now, Im just stuck paying more for the same thing forever.

So I question to myself, is this really worth it? To keep a gUDP just to say I have it? After all of these years, all of the hoops to just give it up now? Apparently there are less than 10,000 of us left according to a Verizon rep. It feels like Im losing something by giving it up, but Im paying more and getting less than the new plans. The new 5G Get More is only $90 plus tax.

Pros of my gUDP:
    Unthrottled unlimited data on 4G/5G
    Option to add unlimited hotspot for additional fee
    Bragging rights (lol)

Cons of gUDP:
    Cant access 5G UWB
    More expensive than new plans
    No perks included like Apple Music, Disney+, free service in Mexico/Canada, etc
    No hotspot data included for free
    Constant anxiety every time I talk to a Verizon rep thinking that they might mess something up on my account and permanently remove my gUDP

In your opinion, should I switch to the new 5G Get More plan? I like the perks, the UWB access and that its cheaper than what Im paying. My only question is, could they later change the terms of this new plan or switch me to a newer plan in the future without asking? Ive been seeing posts on here of Verizon automatically switching customers from Get More 3.0 plans to Get More 4.0 plans without customer consent. I understand the 4.0 plan is better than the 3.0, but just as a principle it seems wrong to switch a customers plan without consent. This worries me.

Ive felt there was a sense of protection with my gUDP since they werent as savvy in 2010 and couldnt change the terms of the plan due to the FCC agreement or whatever that thing was.

I know Verizon has learned a lot in the last 10 years. Have they added any new verbiage or terms to their new plans that would allow them to switch me from the 5G Get More plan to a future throttled plan without my consent in the future? Or could they simply start throttling the 5G Get More plan in the future?

Thanks reading and Id appreciate any input or opinions!

Feedback Score
    How much data do you actually use? In the last year or three, have you used enough that you'd be worried about getting throttled on any plan?

It doesn't seem worth it to me personally, but I'm not on a gUDP plan myself. I would much rather have UWB access and included hotspot, and be a "normal" customer, than always be playing a game of cat/mouse with Verizon.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The answer comes down to your data usage. The new 5G top plan is unlimited data not throttled on the phone, only thing that can be throttled and slowed down is hotspot.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
    Iphone 4, haven't looked back..

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    To echo what I said on Reddit:

The only reason to keep gUDP is if you use more than 100 GB of hotspot data per month. I say 100 GB instead of 50 GB because the gUDP is so expensive that for the same price you could have both a 5G Get More smartphone line and a 50 GB mobile hotspot line, which btw is 50% off with 5G Get More and therefore would only cost $20/month.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    To echo what I said on Reddit:

The only reason to keep gUDP is if you use more than 100 GB of hotspot data per month. I say 100 GB instead of 50 GB because the gUDP is so expensive that for the same price you could have both a 5G Get More smartphone line and a 50 GB mobile hotspot line, which btw is 50% off with 5G Get More and therefore would only cost $20/month.
    I think I would add to this that if a person has a gudp and wants the flexibility of moving it into and out of a hotspot for example might be a reason to keep it. Thats what I do. I have loyalty plan thats about $22 after taxes. They added unlimited calling awhile back so thats nice. I keep this line as a secondary in my physical sim slot in my iPhone. I sometimes put it into a mifi when traveling for work. Thats when I tend to use well over 100gb a month. Having that flexibility is nice. Yea Im missing out on the UWB but the speeds Ive found are still good enough for video or pretty much anything else I need and for the price it cant be beat. Ive also not done any contracts on this line for years and so far never been bothered about it from big red.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The OP made a statement that sticks out to me. They are wondering if it's worth it having to jump thru all the hoops to keep the grandfathered unlimited plan. I remember having to do that myself and I had a hard time giving the lines up for the newer unlimited plans. I don't mess the hoops I had to go thru back then and haven't looked back. As someone said, if you need more then 100GB of hotspot then staying probably the answer, but it doesn't sound like they use hotspot. If that's the case they shouldn't miss the grandfathered unlimited on the new 5G top plan, hotspot is the only data that is monitored for usage and speed limits.

Also, question..as someone said in another post that everyone gets de-prioridized after set usage, they just don't know it. So do people with grandfathered plans get de-prioridized also and don't even know it? Obviously you would know on hotspot being slowed down, I'm talking just regular data.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    I think I would add to this that if a person has a gudp and wants the flexibility of moving it into and out of a hotspot for example might be a reason to keep it. That’s what I do. I have loyalty plan that’s about $22 after taxes. They added unlimited calling awhile back so that’s nice. I keep this line as a secondary in my physical sim slot in my iPhone. I sometimes put it into a mifi when traveling for work. That’s when I tend to use well over 100gb a month. Having that flexibility is nice. Yea I’m missing out on the UWB but the speeds Ive found are still good enough for video or pretty much anything else I need and for the price it can’t be beat. I’ve also not done any contracts on this line for years and so far never been bothered about it from big red.
    Depending on the specifics of your situation, one of the new 150 GB hotspot plans ($80 monthly + $35 activation fee for postpaid QCI 8, or $100 standalone / $70 additional line for prepaid QCI 9) might be a better option — especially since they include 5G UW, which also means that past the 150 GB monthly cap they only throttle to 3 Mbps within C-Band or mmWave coverage areas.

The gUDP has been made considerably less attractive by how rapidly Verizon has been deploying C-Band, imo. n77 speeds are night and day better than LTE.

Feedback Score
    Update- I made the switch to the new plan a couple weeks ago. I ran into a lot of trouble because they left a false “pending order” on my account so I couldn’t change anything for weeks. A supervisor eventually overrode it. I tried taking advantage of their new BYOD $500 promo as well, not sure if it’ll be approved as I had to go through a long process of starting a new account, transferring my number to the new account, doing a TNI swap, etc etc etc… we’ll see. I’m glad I switched though. For me, I already subscribed to some of the perks beforehand, so now I’m saving money. For those of you still hanging onto your gUDP for dear life, may the force be with you.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Between the 5G Get More plan and the dramatically expanded availability of Verizon cellular home internet service, there are increasingly few reasons to keep the gUDP. Even if you’re an RVer, you can save your hotspot data by using an HDMI adapter to plug your phone into a TV and stream video that way — because it counts as on-device data that way. Verizon hasn’t even been enforcing geofencing of cellular home internet, so people have been taking their LTE Home Internet routers with them on road trips.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Between the 5G Get More plan and the dramatically expanded availability of Verizon cellular home internet service, there are increasingly few reasons to keep the gUDP. Even if youre an RVer, you can save your hotspot data by using an HDMI adapter to plug your phone into a TV and stream video that way because it counts as on-device data that way. Verizon hasnt even been enforcing geofencing of cellular home internet, so people have been taking their LTE Home Internet routers with them on road trips.
    Im guessing Verizon will eventually get that loophole closed. Lol

I remember when they first offered unlimited data plans again in 2017. We added a line to use for our home internet. It worked great for about 6 months. Then one day I get an email saying wed used 90 percent of our hotspot data. Then about 2 hours later we got another email saying we had used all of our hotspot data. Then we got the 600kbps throttling.

Im guessing the geofencing will arrive at some point. Verizon protects their network like no one else.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Between the 5G Get More plan and the dramatically expanded availability of Verizon cellular home internet service, there are increasingly few reasons to keep the gUDP. Even if youre an RVer, you can save your hotspot data by using an HDMI adapter to plug your phone into a TV and stream video that way because it counts as on-device data that way. Verizon hasnt even been enforcing geofencing of cellular home internet, so people have been taking their LTE Home Internet routers with them on road trips.
    I mean if someone uses a Samsung, they can just plug in and use DeX with a bigger monitor to use their apps for streaming.

There are so many ways around the streaming issues now, and with the new plan having 50GB of hotspot as base.. there's almsot no reason to keep th gUDP plan around anymore, unless as pointed out above you really need more hotspot data.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified

Feedback Score
    Depends. Hows life at QCI=8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VoIP2TDM View Post
    Depends. How’s life at QCI=8?

Well, on the current plan, unless you're on Start Unlimited, you're gonna have about the same experiene. It's not like you're dropping to Visible level priority on the network.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    5G Get More Unlimited is always QCI 8; deprioritization is QCI 9; I haven't seen it definitively confirmed, but it seems like Business Unlimited premium data is QCI 7. (Speed tests done at the same time almost always show Business premium data being considerably faster than consumer premium data.)

Feedback Score
    5G Get More Unlimited is always QCI 8; deprioritization is QCI 9; I haven't seen it definitively confirmed, but it seems like Business Unlimited premium data is QCI 7. (Speed tests done at the same time almost always show Business premium data being considerably faster than consumer premium data.)
    What in the world are the higher tiers used for? Future products?

I surmise their Frontline product would occupy one higher, when uplifted.

I feel like need more info. Does the QCI label only stay with the packets to the tower, or extend to the edge routers, core routers, or is it even an inter carrier thing?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast