Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Should I switch my gUDP to the new 5G Get More plan?

Feedback Score
    Thank you for thoughts.

Device(s)
    Unihertz Titan on T-Mobile, Unihertz TickTock on Verizon Wireless, Samsung Galaxy Tab Active Pro
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Subaruzi, welcome!

In a nutshell: The only reason to hold onto the gUDP is if you use more than 50 GB/month/line of Personal Hotspot / Mobile Hotspot data. Since you mentioned you don't use the hotspot feature, switching to the new plans is a no brainer.

Longer explanation:

• The gUDP can be used for truly unlimited mobile hotspot on LTE and 5G Nationwide, either by adding the mobile hotspot feature for $30/month or by transferring the SIM card to a device other than a smartphone. There is no other official way to do this. With current plans, mobile hotspot is always limited; stationary hotspot AKA LTE/5G Home Internet is truly unlimited, but it requires inputting an address at which Verizon does not offer Fios and that Verizon has deemed to have enough spare network capacity to support home Internet service. I've heard anecdotes about people being able to use LTE/5G Home Internet on the go by simply plugging the router into a battery or into their car, but that's definitely a terms of service violation and therefore could be shut down at any time by Verizon.
    Just FYI, something I discovered years ago is that while VZW charges $30 extra for Mobile Hotspot Usage on a SMARTPHONE if you have the GUDP, as soon as you put your SIM into a cellular TABLET, you can turn Mobile Hotspot Mode on with NO restrictions and use it to your heart's content!

I have no idea why VZW somehow thinks Mobile Hotspot Mode usage on a tablet is different from Mobile Hotspot usage on a smartphone, I only know that they do, and that this little loophole can definitely be used to one's advantage!
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Feedback Score
    There are also a variety of phones that don't check if you're allowed to use hotspot and work fine without paying extra.

I've been using a gUDP in a mofi4500 cellular router for a few years now without paying the extra $30/mo for hotspot.

Device(s)
    Unihertz Titan on T-Mobile, Unihertz TickTock on Verizon Wireless, Samsung Galaxy Tab Active Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    There are also a variety of phones that don't check if you're allowed to use hotspot and work fine without paying extra.

I've been using a gUDP in a mofi4500 cellular router for a few years now without paying the extra $30/mo for hotspot.
    Back when I used my MoFi 4500 to provide my home internet connection, I could NEVER get it to connect with my Verizon SIM. I went through all the settings, and the ridiculous number of lengthy reboots after I changed all the settings, and I STILL never got VZW working in it! I had to use my VZW Home LTE Router with its ridiculously low speeds on Band 13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    Just FYI, something I discovered years ago is that while VZW charges $30 extra for Mobile Hotspot Usage on a SMARTPHONE if you have the GUDP, as soon as you put your SIM into a cellular TABLET, you can turn Mobile Hotspot Mode on with NO restrictions and use it to your heart's content!

I have no idea why VZW somehow thinks Mobile Hotspot Mode usage on a tablet is different from Mobile Hotspot usage on a smartphone, I only know that they do, and that this little loophole can definitely be used to one's advantage!
    They didn't. You weren't supposed to be putting a phone SIM in anything other than a phone. That is why thousands of people got their gUDP plans taken away over the years due to them putting their phone sims in hotpsots. if you didn't get caught consider yourself lucky. Not sure what it will take for small minority still on gUDP to get off that plan

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    They didn't. You weren't supposed to be putting a phone SIM in anything other than a phone. That is why thousands of people got their gUDP plans taken away over the years due to them putting their phone sims in hotpsots. if you didn't get caught consider yourself lucky. Not sure what it will take for small minority still on gUDP to get off that plan
    I don't know how it was for you or anyone else, but speaking only for myself, and I am unanimous in this...

The GUDP that I Assumed Liability for way back in 2015 was a BUSINESS LOYALTY GUDP set-up as DATA ONLY, with NO Voice Minutes or Texting. VZW wouldn't let me setup a Business Account for myself, so my account is a normal postpaid consumer account, but the Plan Code IS an old Business Loyalty Plan. That COULD be where the difference comes in, I don't have any way to know. It's well known to me, and therefore should be well known to most here, that Verizon Business Customers have different plans, with different terms on what's included, when compared to consumer plans. Many of those plans are intended for "Road Warriors", the Mobile Professionals that were the first to have smartphones, wireless modems, cellular tablets, etc., because they have to be able to get work done on the go, all day long. So a great many of those plans are free of the restrictions that are placed on consumer plans.

What I do know is this: After activating my SIM in a cheap VZW smartphone I bought just to do the activation, I put it into what was at the time VZW's top of the line mobile hotspot device, and was able to use it with NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER! When that device paired with its OEM docking stand/signal boosting antenna failed to provide adequate service in my house, I then bought and put my SIM into VZW's most famous (or infamous, depending on how you look at it) Home/Office LTE Router, with the official VZW External Signal Boosting Antenna attached to pull in a stronger signal. After that, I did get a MoFi 4500 Rev 2, I think it was, and tried it in that, but I could never get the settings right for it to actually obtain and maintain a connection. I've used both T-Mobile and AT&T SIMs in my MoFi and it worked like it should, but VZW always gave me issues.

In fall of 2017, I was FINALLY able to get Verizon FiOS internet at my house, and not just any FiOS, but FiOS QUANTUM, so at that point, I stopped needing the VZW GUDP plan to be my home internet, so I started using it sporadically in a cell phone as a backup to my main phone. But then in 2019, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 Verizon Wireless LTE Tablet from Amazon when I found a really great deal on an Amazon Refurbished unit. After years of having to use either FoxFi or PDA Net to use the Mobile Hotspot Mode on my phone, imagine my surprise when I put the SIM in my VZW tablet, turned on Mobile Hotspot Mode, and it JUST WORKED, instead of giving me the usual message that I would have to contact VZW to add Mobile Hotspot Usage to my plan!

So, naturally, my Verizon SIM lived in that VZW tablet after that. And again, I can't and won't speak for anyone else, but MY Business Loyalty GUDP Plan Code clearly allows Unlimited Mobile Hotspot Usage when in a Verizon Tablet, I can tell you that much for free!

As for what it will take to get me off that plan... it will take VZW offering me a truly comparable plan that won't result in me losing any of the functionality I have now.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4