Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 111

Thread: 3G Shutoff Date?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,282
    Feedback Score
    0

    3G Shutoff Date?

    What is the new 3G turn-off date? I want to get a really good bottle of wine to celebrate . It can’t be soon enough!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    25
    Feedback Score
    0
    You'll be celebrating the new year as well, the last day is officially December 31st, 2022: https://www.verizon.com/about/news/3...cember-31-2022

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    106
    Feedback Score
    0
    Why celebrate? Some places in the boonies I only get good service by turning off LTE and using EvDo.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,720
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ballo View Post
    Why celebrate? Some places in the boonies I only get good service by turning off LTE and using EvDo.
    Because that spectrum will be put to better use CDMA is only used for calls basically anyway. Data over 1xRTT hasn't been a thing for awhile now

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,208
    Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I wonder what Verizon Wireless will use the freed up spectrum for. I believe CDMA uses the 850 MHz band correct me if wrong. Verizon could theoretically create dedicated low band channels one for 5G and one for LTE without having to use DSS.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,720
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    I wonder what Verizon Wireless will use the freed-up spectrum for. I believe CDMA uses the 850 MHz band correct me if wrong. Verizon could theoretically create dedicated low band channels, one for 5G and one for LTE without having to use DSS.
    Verizon has bene using 850 MHz( band 5 or n5 for 5G ) for LTE and 5G for a while now and they use DSS to use it for both in places where both exist. In my area Verizon has stopped using band 5 for CDMA for a couple of years now at least. You're not going to see Verizon use 5 MHz of 4G only and 5 MHz for 5G only. Especially as the number of phones that use 5G is increasing at a rapid pace.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 05-13-2022 at 01:10 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,758
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think if I were Verizon, what I would do is go ahead and deploy new bands (C-Band and the like) 5G-only, and for now keep using DSS on existing bands. Once enough traffic is moving over 5G, keep 4G on band 700 and start flipping 800, AWS, PCS, etc., to 5G-only. Don't worry, 700mhz LTE was nice and fast early on when there were few users on it, it can be nice and fast again when there's again few users on it!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,720
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    I think if I were Verizon, what I would do is go ahead and deploy new bands (C-Band and the like) 5G-only, !
    That is pretty much the plan. There is no 4G C-band

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    106
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Don't worry, 700mhz LTE was nice and fast early on when there were few users on it, it can be nice and fast again when there's again few users on it!
    Except for those who don't have LTE and only EvDo

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,720
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ballo View Post
    Except for those who don't have LTE and only EvDo
    then you're going to have to switch carriers

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    106
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    then you're going to have to switch carriers
    To what, satellite phone? 😆

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,483
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ballo View Post
    To what, satellite phone? 😆
    True. Allot of people just don't get that there's area's of the country (and I'm not talking in the middle of a national forest) that are still being left out because all of the lack of carrier tower infill to make up for the loss of signal range with newer tech. There's also allot of people that don't get that there are even more areas without broadband (except satellite) to use wifi calling.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,720
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    True. Allot of people just don't get that there's area's of the country (and I'm not talking in the middle of a national forest) that are still being left out because all of the lack of carrier tower infill to make up for the loss of signal range with newer tech. There's also allot of people that don't get that there are even more areas without broadband (except satellite) to use wifi calling.
    Well no offense but that's not Verizon's problem. No sense keeping old tech alive for a few people who choose to live in the boonies. I bet you don't get piped water( from a water plant ) or sewer either and have to rely on well water and septic tank. Cost of country living. If Verizon is the only one providing service of any type even if it's bad they are hardly the bad guy. What about the other 2 carriers that don't even bother AT ALL?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    741
    Feedback Score
    0
    Verizon degrading their coverage to be worse than previous generation is fundamentally Verizon's problem. They provide wireless telecommunications. If the network shrinks in size, they are 100% failing at their core mission. They're taking 911 service away from areas previously covered. This bizarre obsession with romancing corporate entities is mind-boggling. They should not be allowed to shut off old equipment until an equivalent new network is in place. Full stop.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,720
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuzz View Post
    Verizon degrading their coverage to be worse than previous generation is fundamentally Verizon's problem.
    So Verizon should keep old tech alive just for a few people at the expense of everyone else? So demand Verizon to keep old tech alive and NOT demanding at&t and T-Mobile to actually provide service. This is the logic? Verizon should go the extra mile to make up the failing of T-Mobile and at&t? That is what you are suggesting. Here's a crazy idea, how about waiting until AFTER 3G is shutdown before complaining when you know for sure the service will be worse not BEFORE when you are only speculating it will be worse. What if it's not? Then you are complaining about nothing

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pearl 3G Launch Date?
    By thymaster in forum BlackBerry
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 11:23 PM
  2. Replies: 1035
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 10:21 AM
  3. AT&T 3G... completion date??
    By wakka092 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 10:24 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-07-2002, 09:48 AM
  5. Confirmed 3G Launch Date
    By ImmerStark in forum Sprint
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-29-2002, 12:15 AM

Bookmarks