Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid service that works in US and UK?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score

Prepaid service that works in US and UK?

Folks...I'm a Truphone refugee. Now that it has shut down its prepaid service, I was wondering if anyone here knew of a carrier that offered prepaid service in the USA an the United Kingdom?

Preferably at the same rate in both?

Many thanks for any help anyone can provide!!

Mike Nassour / Austin Texas

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nassour View Post
    Folks...I'm a Truphone refugee. Now that it has shut down its prepaid service, I was wondering if anyone here knew of a carrier that offered prepaid service in the USA an the United Kingdom?

Preferably at the same rate in both?

Many thanks for any help anyone can provide!!

Mike Nassour / Austin Texas
    Verizon prepaid travel pass - https://www.verizon.com/plans/prepai...l-travel-pass/

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    There really isn’t a good multinational global roaming service other than googleFi, which is very expensive.

Do you need voice/SMS or also data overseas?
    For Voice/SMS, Ultra Mobile might be a good option as they offer low prices on roaming for talk and text (data is crazy expensive).

Do you have a phone that also supports eSIM? If so, then you have lots of other options for what you want to do. Most of those devices can use eSIM data overseas (as a second plan on eSIM with your US plan on the physical SIM), and use Wi-Fi calling technology to make calls via the roaming data. eSIM technology has changed the roaming landscape completely.

I can give you more insight if you can outline your monthly talk/text/data needs in the US and also separately for the UK. Also, what device are you using and if not eSIM capable, are you willing to obtain one?

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    I know not everyone wants to deal with Google Voice, but I use GV for all my calls and text messaging over data everywhere, home and abroad. The data only plans at http://t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans...ble-data-plans include full LTE in Canada and Mexico, up to the lesser of plan allowance or 5GB/mo, unlimited 128Kbps thereafter, and unlimited 128Kbps in most locations worldwide. I use the 2GB/mo plan. 128Kbps is fast enough for calls and texts with GV, and for navigation, but it can be slow to load some web pages.

The next time we go to Europe, I'll probably also get an eSIM plan (as mentioned above) with a 1 year expiration (or longer, if possible) for backup in my Pixel 3a XL, and another, different one, for temporary trip use, in my wife's 3a.

Feedback Score
    I travel often on both sides of the Atlantic. There is not a good, economical, carrier that will work on both sides.
    Sure, I can get some roaming data going on, or some limited texting, but the only economical thing to do is to get two different plans, one for each country. Two SIM, or one SIM, one eSIM. Swap them while in the plane.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    First of all, thanks for the replies, folks!

None of the phones currently here have eSim. And I'm afraid we're not likely to have one anytime soon. After reading the above, it seems like the best thing for us to do is simply get EE sim cards once we land in the UK, since they seem to have great coverage there. We're in the US all the time except for two-three weeks in early June and I was hoping to eliminate the need for separate numbers for talk and text for each side of the trip.

But it doesn't look like we're going to be able to do that. Shoot!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nassour View Post
    First of all, thanks for the replies, folks!

None of the phones currently here have eSim. And I'm afraid we're not likely to have one anytime soon. After reading the above, it seems like the best thing for us to do is simply get EE sim cards once we land in the UK, since they seem to have great coverage there. We're in the US all the time except for two-three weeks in early June and I was hoping to eliminate the need for separate numbers for talk and text for each side of the trip.

But it doesn't look like we're going to be able to do that. Shoot!
    Going back to my suggestion, you could use the same # in both locations by using GV. The source of data needed to use a GV # with the GV app isn't important, so using data from an EE SIM card, or WiFi, would work just as well while you're abroad as a US data source. If you want to avoid GV, TextNow also works well for calls and texts over data only, in my experience.

Here's another idea. If you're just looking for personal communication, you might check to see if everyone you communicate with uses Facebook, and if so, everyone could use Messenger for calls and texts during your 3 weeks abroad. The same concept would apply for any similar messaging app, including Skype, Viber, WhatsApp, WeChat, Telegram, etc. You could also use multiple of those apps for communicating with different people, if necessary.

100% of my communication is via data only, so I have the following apps on my phone for various uses with people both inside and outside the US: Google Voice, TextNow (those 2 are for calls and texts to real phone #s), along with Messenger, Skype, and Viber (those 3 are for app to app calls and texts).

The above combination works out well for me, as I can use 4 of the 5 on any phone or tablet, or any computer, no matter where I am, as long as I have working data. Viber is more complicated to get set up on a non-primary device, and I'm only keeping it as a backup, and for the Viber Out calling, since I still have a $4.99 credit available.

Feedback Score
    How often do you go to the UK? T-Mobile still offers free International roaming on their postpaid service. While it's not prepaid, you can open a line with no contract or installment agreement if you just bring your own device.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    How often do you go to the UK? T-Mobile still offers free International roaming on their postpaid service. While it's not prepaid, you can open a line with no contract or installment agreement if you just bring your own device.
    Postpaid T-Mobile offers the international unlimited 128Kbps that I mentioned above on all their postpaid plans, not just the data plan I linked, but regular postpaid phone plans, which are already quite expensive, also cost an additional $0.25/minute for international roaming voice calls, except if you're using WiFi calling to the US or Canada.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/cov...aming-services

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes indeed, my wife is on TMo postpaid now (and she's the person this is all for, anyway), so it looks like they will be the best bet if we want to use her US number. But I have to tell you that info coming out of TMo is erratic at best as every time we try to talk to someone about international roaming, we get different answers. In fact, on one phone call I was told by the SAME representative that the out bound voice service was $3.00 per minute....then five minutes later, told that it was 25 cents per minute! Very, very poor customer service on TMo's part, which is why I try to avoid calling them if at all possible.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Check the link I posted above your last post.

If you're okay with paying T-Mobile $0.25/min while roaming to call back to the US or Canada, or receive calls while roaming internationally, then your wife all set. Just make sure there's not a block on voice, messaging, and data when roaming internationally on her line (also described in the above link).

As I also previously mentioned, as long as WiFi calling is set up and working, there will be no extra cost to place calls back to the US or Canada, or receive calls, while her phone is connected to WiFi, even while outside the US.

Feedback Score
    a possible hybrid on Boz1's suggestion to use a GV number would be to setup a GV number but if you get calls on a different US carrier number you may be able to use call forwarding to re-direct those calls to GV while you are traveling and thus receive the calls over data on a number your callers already know. SMS/MMS will not forward however so that is something to keep in mind, also not all prepaid plans offer call forwarding.

if the above works for your incoming and you want to call outgoing with your main number as caller ID rebtel offers free calls to US numbers and presents as caller ID a number you register with. you need to 'purchase' a plan for US which is free.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think one of the changes announced with the ending of legacy GV is that any call forwarded to a GV # will no longer ring the GV #, and will now only go to the GV voicemail.

If I have that wrong, or if that's not how it's actually working in real life, please let us know.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I think one of the changes announced with the ending of legacy GV is that any call forwarded to a GV # will no longer ring the GV #, and will now only go to the GV voicemail.

If I have that wrong, or if that's not how it's actually working in real life, please let us know.
    That is correct IF (and only if) the calls are being forwarded from a phone number linked to your GoogleVoice account. The actual text says:
    Settings for Carrier Call Forwarding. Carrier Call Forwarding will no longer have a setting. It will still be possible to forward calls from another carrier to your Google Voice number, however, all carrier forwarded calls from your linked number will go directly to voicemail.

So as Boz noted above, if the calls are being forwarded from your linked number, they will all go to voicemail without ringing all of your GV devices. However, if your cell number is not a linked number on your GV account, the calls forwarded from your cell number will ring all of your GV devices first (then go to voicemail), as robbyrobby notes.

What's changed is that GoogleVoice used to have a Carrier Call Forward setting that would auto-forward all of your calls from your carrier number to your GoogleVoice number if not answered. It only worked with Sprint (if I recall), so it was of little practical use to most users. My experience is that forwarding a linked number to your GV number has always resulted in calls going to voicemail (I've been using GV since it started as Grand Central and I learned that's how it works many years ago).

Given that the OP's wife has a T-Mobile postpaid line, I would just use that and try to use Wi-Fi as much as possible (or buy a data pass). As noted above, Wi-Fi calls are free to the US (as are all incoming Wi-Fi calls regardless of where they came from), and all cellular calls to/from the US and all outgoing calls to the roaming country are 25 cents/min (the nuance is that Wi-Fi calling isn't free to call a non-US number).

If you happen to use iPhones, FaceTime audio runs fine at 128kbps and it's how I spoke with my wife a few years ago when she was in Europe without her incurring any calling charges. Calls were clearer than using the voice network, and she incurred a total of $3 in roaming charges for odd calls.

If you need high speed data and/or plan on making a bunch of calls, then T-Mobile offers roaming passes with high speed data and unlimited calling. A 10-day pass with 5GB high speed data and unlimited calling is $35 and a 30-day pass with 15GB high speed data and unlimited calling is $50. Single day passes with 512MB are also available for $5/day. While more expensive than a local SIM, it's a good value if you need calling since most of the prepaid SIMs in the UK don't include calling back to the US. While it might sound expensive, even the $50 plan is only a few dollars per day ($3.50 for a 14 day trip - $2.50 for a 20-day trip), which is fully offset if you make 10-14 minutes of calls per day, and also comes with more than enough high speed data for anyone other than a teenager. This is much better than AT&T / Verizon's $10/day every roaming day extortion -- been there, paid that...

One more caveat - incoming calls that go to T-Mobile voicemail when you are in a roaming country are charged 1 minute of roaming (for the local carrier to transfer the call back to T-Mobile). This is is based on the last carrier your phone connected before turning off/losing signal, so turning off your device in the UK will result in all calls going to voicemail (at 25-cents / call) -- I'm not sure what happens if you turn off the device while connected to Wi-Fi calling, but presume you're not connected to a UK carrier at that point. So if your wife gets 3-4 spam calls a day, you can either dispute them with T-Mobile to get the $1/day credited back, or you might as well just buy a data pass.

Feedback Score
    Would a good unlodual sim phone like a moto G work on both sides of the Atlantic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast