Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Net10 Network/SIM transfers and WiFi calling

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE, Zmax 2, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Net10 Network/SIM transfers and WiFi calling

Did a few SIM changes and network change to test out WiFi calling, planning on traveling this summer. Here's my observations...

I have a Verizon line with Net10, but Wifi Calling doesn't seem to work in older iPhone OG SE/6s. I prefer to use smaller, older phones when traveling as a dumb phone, so if I drop, lose, break, it's not a big deal. Wifi calling does not seem to be enabled for older iOS versions 11-12 using Verizon network. From some searching:

WiFi calling with a Verizon-compatible SIM, as long as you have an iPhone running iOS 13.3.1 or later and TFW Carrier Settings Version 40.1 or later.
    I tried to do a network change from Net10 Vz -> new Tracfone T-mobile BYOD SIM for use on Net10 Tmo. No go... Someone in the deals thread said the kits were interchangeable. Chatted with CSR, can't rebrand SIMs only phones. So AT&T and T-mobile SIMs under the Tracfone umbrella must use their respective SIM kit.

I did a sim change from Net10 Vz -> new Tracfone Vz BYOD SIM (old unlocked iPhone 6s) just as a test, and worked fine. So only Verizon sims are interchangeable among the Tracfone brands.

Finally did a Net10 Vz BYOD (original Tracfone SIM) -> Net10 T-mobile BYOD SIM. Web page now requires IMEI even for T-mobile, and errored out. Probably because I was using the same IMEI for Net10 Vz or maybe something else. Had to get chat involved. CSR did the transfer and service is working.

So Verizon -> T-mobile and maybe AT&T network changes are still possible, but requires IMEI. Wifi calling under T-Mobile is the easiest to get working and works with older iPhones iOS versions. Also, seems more cheap Tracfone branded android phones also work using T-mobile Wifi Calling. Wifi calling requires that E911 registration page before allowed to be enabled on the phone.

**update**

Did some SIM swapping today to test the T-Mobile SIM on different devices for Wifi calling.

iPhone SE (OG 2016) iOS 11.4.1 Carrier Version 32.0 --- No Wifi calling.
    The network is identified as "HOME" in the top left status area. No Wifi calling shows in the menu. Cannot seem to update the carrier profile. The update alert pops up, but pressing UPDATE does nothing.
    Sticking in my true T-Mobile legacy paygo and Wi-Fi Calling option does appear in the menu.

iPhone 6s iOS 12.1.1 Carrier Version 35.0 --- Wifi calling working.
    The network is identified as "TFW" in the top left status area. Changes to TFW Wi-Fi when in airplane mode calling. Wifi calling shows in the menu. Also, has option to update address.

TF branded Moto E6 --- Wifi calling doesn't seem to work.
    Wifi calling options shows up in the menus, can be enabled, but doesn't do anything. When put into Airplane mode, gets error "Turn off airplane mode or connect to a wireless network to make a call."

Thought iPhones and/or T-mobile would be easy, but seems you still need the latest phones/updates to get Wifi calling working. This is a bigger mess than VoLTE.

**update 2**

The "Data Saver" feature in android seems to be conflicting with Wifi calling even just connected to Wifi in Airplane mode. Kinda weird... Think I was able to get Wifi calling on the Moto E6 after turning off "Data Saver". Can make calls in Airplane mode. The phone status bar icon has the Wifi clover when making a call.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Slepy; 04-22-2022 at 07:36 PM.

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE, Zmax 2, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I started a transfer from Tracfone Verizon to BYOP AT&T yesterday early evening using the phone 611611 system. No new phone IMEI required.

Woke up today and the transfer was still in progress. Had to call them up. Regular agent couldn't do anything, so think I was transferred to the ports/transfers department. He was able to push it through and I have service on AT&T BYOP on a non-whitelisted phone Moto G Stylus 2020 (MetroPCS) reflashed to RETUS firmware (factory). VoLTE works fine because of the RETUS firmware, just not IMEI whitelisted. No Wifi calling available in the menu. This phone theoretically should work on Verizon network, but I think it's blocked because of the IMEI when I tried to sim swap.

So Vz -> other network transfers are still allowed for now. Transfers to/from AT&T seems to take a long time. Last time AT&T->Vz took more than 12 hours to complete. Vz->Tmo took like 5 minutes.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Moto G Stylus (2021)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    Transfers to/from AT&T seems to take a long time. Last time AT&T->Vz took more than 12 hours to complete. Vz->Tmo took like 5 minutes.
    Cross-carrier transfer requires manual intervention by TF Port Dept. Best not to initiate a cross-carrier transfer before or during a weekend/holiday.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post

**update 2**

The "Data Saver" feature in android seems to be conflicting with Wifi calling even just connected to Wifi in Airplane mode. Kinda weird... Think I was able to get Wifi calling on the Moto E6 after turning off "Data Saver". Can make calls in Airplane mode. The phone status bar icon has the Wifi clover when making a call.
    I haven't been able to get wifi calling on my E6 to work on another T-Mobile mvno. I checked my "data saver" and it's off. When does the part where you enter your address suppose to pop up ? I don't even get that. Hidden menu also shows wifi calling enabled too.
    What are all your other wifi calling settings set to ?
    Thx

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if this is related to the subject of this thread, but I have a problem that may be very basic but I don't understand what I must do to rectify.
    My beloved and I were in two different locations yesterday and she tried to call me with her motoE6 . She immediately got a message that said"555-555-1234 is not available." I recently set her up with the phone at home where there is wifi and every thing was working. Yesterday neither of us were on wifi when she attempted the call. I want to know where, in settings, do I solve this problem.

I just talked her in to dumping her flip2 406 because she was having problems navigating, and wouldn't you know the first time she uses the newer phone, this happens....she used to call me her I T guy (among other things) but I think she is having second thoughts.
    I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    I'm getting too old for this stuff.
    Like many on here I was around when cells and computers first came out. I'd think with advances in tech things would become more reliable and simple. But it seems that's not the case. Every new innovation adds great features and speed but they come with a whole lot more hassle, relatively less reliability, and hoop jumping.

That said, as far as wifi calling. When does the part where you enter your address suppose to pop up ? I don't even get that. Hidden menu also shows wifi calling enabled too. What are all your other wifi calling settings set to ?
    Thx

Feedback Score
    @gmannix

Temporary network problem or you were in a place with bad reception.

Some phones handle challenging situations better than others. Also depends on the slack cut to prepaid.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Moto G Stylus (2021)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    My beloved and I were in two different locations yesterday and she tried to call me with her motoE6 . She immediately got a message that said"555-555-1234 is not available." I recently set her up with the phone at home where there is wifi and every thing was working. Yesterday neither of us were on wifi when she attempted the call. I want to know where, in settings, do I solve this problem.
    If 555-555-1234 is your phone number, then that means YOUR PHONE was not reachable at that time, either because your phone was turned off, or in Airplane mode, or had no signal. Even if your phone was set up for WiFi Call, it still fallback to the carrier network if your phone was not on WiFi at that time. If she was using VoIP (like using the GV Voice app) to call your Google Voice number and your phone was not on WiFi then she would get that message if your didn't forward your GV number to a cell phone number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Like many on here I was around when cells and computers first came out. I'd think with advances in tech things would become more reliable and simple. But it seems that's not the case. Every new innovation adds great features and speed but they come with a whole lot more hassle, relatively less reliability, and hoop jumping.

That said, as far as wifi calling. When does the part where you enter your address suppose to pop up ? I don't even get that. Hidden menu also shows wifi calling enabled too. What are all your other wifi calling settings set to ?
    Thx
    On my phone, in the regular settings area, it informed me that wifi calling was enabled but still needed additional attention. I think that was where the address thing lived, don't remember, didn't set it. The sim is t-mobile based. They are friendly to wi-fi calling.

Feedback Score

Thx
    You can try going to this site to enter the E911 info.
    https://e911-reg.tracfone.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    On my phone, in the regular settings area, it informed me that wifi calling was enabled but still needed additional attention. I think that was where the address thing lived, don't remember, didn't set it. The sim is t-mobile based. They are friendly to wi-fi calling.
    Thanks. Wifi calling is enabled in the hidden menu and in the settings but never get any kind of pop up. I put in airplane mode and connect to wifi and try to make a call. Get the message that I need to turn airplane mode off to make a call. t-mobile via US Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    You can try going to this site to enter the E911 info.
    https://e911-reg.tracfone.com
    Thanks but this is on USMobile. Haven't contacted them yet since it's not a must have for me.

Feedback Score
    Thanks but this is on USMobile. Haven't contacted them yet since it's not a must have for me.
    You might have to do it on the website. Maybe a security thing. I have Tello but don't remember the specifics.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    @gmannix

Temporary network problem or you were in a place with bad reception.

Some phones handle challenging situations better than others. Also depends on the slack cut to prepaid.
    In reply to your first sentence, she was at a dr office, not on wifi,There were other folks in waiting room using their phones at the time I was 2 miles away at a store. We were in a good sized city with a few towers around.
    Your last sentence I don't understand, at all.

Feedback Score
    My bad! Just assumed that we were talking about Tracfone on the Tracfone forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast