Thread: Can i access UC or not?

Feedback Score

Can i access UC or not?

I have a iphone 12 pm and 13 pm and ipad pro 11 and 12 in and based off their coverage map im swarmed with UC coverage yet i cant get it at all. They are clueless as well. Can anyone make sense of this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The answer is more of a 'maybe' In my area, T-Mobile shows literally everything with UC. With phone in default settings (Samsung S21), its closer to 50% maybe a little less (outdoors). If I disable n71, then its probably closer to 60%, maybe even a bit more.
    The indicator isn't also very useful in many areas, as it may light up when you have UC for a minute, and stay active when you don't. The opposite is also true.
    T-Mobile (as well others TBH), overstate their coverage for sales. This even goes for LTE and 5G coverage.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    I have found that most places I go to that are supposed to have 5G UC as shown on the coverage maps, the indicator on my phone never shows up. No matter where I am in the city or town, and no matter if I am right by the one tower that serves the community and is supposed to have the service enabled. I have driven through dozens of towns that are supposed to have the service enabled and the indicator has never shown up. This makes me wonder if the service is really enabled or not or if the maps are lying.

Now in the remaining places, the indicator lights up the minute I get close to the city or town, without fail, and stays on throughout the city. I find this is true in the larger cities where pretty much every site has had UC turned on. I have no clue why all this is happening, but it really does not make all that much difference in the way I use my phone. Well-provisioned Band 71 5G is perfectly fine for 99.9% of what I do on my phone and I really cannot tell any difference in normal use.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdewey View Post
    I have driven through dozens of towns that are supposed to have the service enabled and the indicator has never shown up. This makes me wonder if the service is really enabled or not or if the maps are lying.
    T-Mobile maps lying .. no, can't be /sarcasm.
    As a side note... In some places where T-Mobile has added 5G UC, (since New Years), I have noticed it - but it is far from reliable to, and not easy to obtain.
    Eg. In Morro Bay, I 'might' get 5G UC, at the Safeway or in town. More often than not .. its just LTE/5G. I could get B41, so I know that panels are up (mapped on Cellmapper).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    T-Mobile maps lying .. no, can't be /sarcasm.
    LOL Just a little. On most occasions, such as in past generational changes, one would think the UC icon would be the first thing enabled on a site upgrade, only for PR purposes, make the user think they're getting something way better even if they are not, even before back-haul is upgraded to support the higher-speed data capabilities, but it seems to not be the case here. It is very odd.

I have been connected to some sites that show up as UC that have great data rates in the 400-500 Mbps range, and I have also been connected to many that don't provide anything better than regular 5G. Depends on the back-haul and spectrum utilization, I know, but the lack of consistency is concerning.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure that it's not like the 2g / 3g / 4g lte which was tied to radio access technology, but closer to the of 3g => 4g (utms => hspa), as the 5G icon itself is enabled even when I have only LTE service... because it is available, even if not in use.

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    I've found.. on the iPhone if I set it to "5G ON" it'll keep UC/n41 anytime it's available (and the battery chews approprately).. any other time (5G Auto), it camps mostly on n71 when doing normal tasks, and seems to hand up to n41 when i'm either in an area n71 is congested or I'm doing an actual download.

Fold 3, I have the unlocked model.. so I cannot comment as it just never shows "UC"
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified