Thread: Refilling 1 year 1200/1200/3GB on unlocked phone

Feedback Score

Refilling 1 year 1200/1200/3GB on unlocked phone

What's the best way to refill the 1 year plan on an unlocked phone? I read that there are some tricks on a TF branded phone, but what apple Apple factory unlocked? Just got another 1 year plan and add it?

Feedback Score
    You can activate online by selecting the Activate tab on Tracfone's website and it will walk you through the process. It's all that I've ever used for my over a decade's worth of Tracfone interactions with no problems. Some on this forum would recommend using Chat, so that their current balances can be documented.

Feedback Score
    Thanks boss

Device(s)
    Xiaomi, Samsung, Motorola
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    How would you go about doing this with the eBay specials for a BYOP?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Pr...r=584486806381

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by redwald View Post

Disclaimer - I haven't done this myself. But these are the steps as I have read them here on HoFo:

0. Get on Chat, confirm that the sim has the stated buckets/balance on it.

1. Activate the ebay byop sim, you'll get a new phone number.

2. Wait a couple days, get on Chat, pray that you get a good rep, ask rep to combine the ebay sim balance with your existing phone's balance.

3. Enjoy!
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone!)
    You can sign up for Red Pocket and get $25 off your monthly-plan order using my referral code. Feel free to PM me for the codes. Thank you!

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Moto G Stylus (2021)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by redwald View Post

We need more info from you to give the best answer.
    1) Do you want to start a new line or add this ebay card to your existing service?
    2) If you want to add to your existing service, which carrier are you using on TF?
    3) Is the phone to be used a TF-sold phone or an unlocked BYOP phone?

We need more info because there are several factors at play here:
    * The ebay SIM is a BYOP SIM. To activate a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM, you'll need to provide the IMEI of a phone that's in Verizon whitelist, and it will NOT accept the IMEI of a TF-sold phone, unlocked or not.
    * A BYOP TF/AT&T or BYOP TF/T-mo does not require an IMEI when activated online, but if you ask a rep to do it the rep might ask for the IMEI.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Allograft View Post
    Thanks boss
    Read post #6 so that you do it the correct way on your first attempt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Read post #6 so that you do it the correct way on your first attempt.
    Thanks, thoughts on the below?

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    1) Do you want to start a new line or add this ebay card to your existing service?
    it would be to extend existing service

2) If you want to add to your existing service, which carrier are you using on TF?
    Verizon

3) Is the phone to be used a TF-sold phone or an unlocked BYOP phone?
    Bought factory unlocked from Apple, and was previously used on the VZW network when I subscribed to VZW

* The ebay SIM is a BYOP SIM. To activate a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM, you'll need to provide the IMEI of a phone that's in Verizon whitelist, and it will NOT accept the IMEI of a TF-sold phone, unlocked or not.
    I just checked the VZW website (though I know that it used to work on it fine) and it said "This device is compatible with the Verizon network."

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Allograft View Post
    Thanks, thoughts on the below?
    -it would be to extend existing service
    -Verizon
    -Bought factory unlocked from Apple, and was previously used on the VZW network when I subscribed to VZW
    -I just checked the VZW website (though I know that it used to work on it fine) and it said "This device is compatible with the Verizon network."
    The intent of the ebay preloaded SIM is to activate a new line. So trying to use it to add service to an existing line being used with a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM can be problematic because the phone's IMEI is already paired to the current BYOP TF/Verizon SIM. I would not do it yourself online. It's best to contact TF by Chat and tell the rep "I have a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM preloaded with 1-yr 1200/1200/3GB and I'd like to activate it with a transfer from my current line number (xxx) xxx-xxxx". A competent and cooperative rep will unpair the IMEI from the current BYOP SIM and pair it with the ebay BYOP SIM, then transfer your current phone number and buckets/days to the new SIM, then the preloaded units/days will be added on top of that". An incompetent or uncooperative rep will refuse to do that and tell you that the preloaded SIM is for activating a new line only. Politely end the chat and try again with a different rep.

Doing it with a preloaded BYOP TF/AT&T or BYOP TF/T-mo SIM is easier because the SIM is not paired to the IMEI (yet anyway).

Feedback Score
    "preloaded BYOP TF/AT&T or BYOP TF/T-mo SIM"

you mean this:

https://tinyurl.com/2p984hky

TracFone 1 Year Service Plan - 365 Days + 2000 Minutes/ 2000 Text/ 2000 Data
    for ~$90

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gjbwj8 View Post
    "preloaded BYOP TF/AT&T or BYOP TF/T-mo SIM"

you mean this:

https://tinyurl.com/2p984hky

TracFone 1 Year Service Plan - 365 Days + 2000 Minutes/ 2000 Text/ 2000 Data
    for ~$90
    No, I meant THIS LISTING (use the pull-down menu to select the carrier you want). The listing that you posted is not sold by Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    thank you,

I thought this one is only good for NEW line activation, you can use it to extend existing line ?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gjbwj8 View Post
    I thought this one is only good for NEW line activation, you can use it to extend existing line ?
    It's true that the one sold by TF is intended for a new line. But if you currently use a BYOP TF/AT&T or BYOP TF/T-mo SIM, you can activate a preloaded SIM for the same carrier with a transfer from you existing line, keeping the same phone number and old units/days + the preloaded units/days. With the ebay BYOP TF/Verizon SIM, you'll need to find a competent and cooperative rep to do the work.

With the item you posted, you're buying it from a 3rd-party seller, not TF. Whether or not you're comfortable with providing your phone number to the seller and hope the seller is trustworthy not to use a stolen credit card to add units/days to your line is your decision.

Feedback Score
    ok, thank you, hpham.