Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roaming Deprioritization

Feedback Score

Roaming Deprioritization

When roaming on foreign carrier's network, is there any way to verify whether or not your data traffic has regular priority, or is it deprioritized against the foreign carrier's local subscriber data traffic?

i.e. would Firstnet data have priority over Rogers data in Canada?

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    You're a guest on their network.. i'd expect to be behind the host carrier's own customers

Rogers has a ton of capacity though, as do bell and telus, you should be fine.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    You're a guest on their network
    I disagree. That carrier is getting paid for access to their network. Roaming customers actually pay MORE than first-party customers. There is no charity involved. There should therefore be no QoS favoritism against roaming users.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    I disagree. That carrier is getting paid for access to their network. Roaming customers actually pay MORE than first-party customers. There is no charity involved. There should therefore be no QoS favoritism against roaming users.
    "roaming customers" - correct the end user pays more.. but the carrier pays pennies on what they charge. I've seen those back end agreements.. those are a cash cow on those plans that still charge for the end user's carrier

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'll check in the summer when I go to Halifax. Prior trips with TMobile I had no issue getting +200Mbps on Bell. Had no issues with Rogers either except TMobile didn't like me roaming in them except in NW Ontario. I might have my work iPhone 12 on At&t with.me

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I'll check in the summer when I go to Halifax. Prior trips with TMobile I had no issue getting +200Mbps on Bell. Had no issues with Rogers either except TMobile didn't like me roaming in them except in NW Ontario. I might have my work iPhone 12 on At&t with.me

Make sure with AT&T you call and have manual network selection added to your account before roaming, it'll help you as AT&T seems to love Bell, even when it's not the best.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Make sure with AT&T you call and have manual network selection added to your account before roaming, it'll help you as AT&T seems to love Bell, even when it's not the best.
    Same with T-Mo.. I used to like Rogers - at least in NW Ontario. In many other areas of rural Ontario/Quebec, Bell has better coverage. Its basically an unlimited everything plan (mobile select unlimited 5g+ w tethering and roaming in US, Canada and Mexico. LD to Mexico, Canada, US and messaging to intl from US. +$5/mo for International Day Pass

The only times they put the brakes on .. cruise ships.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The only times they put the brakes on .. cruise ships.
    Ironically, I remember when I worked as a CS rep for Cingular/At&t Mobility seeing some cruise data charges at several hundred before the account was shut down by the carrier. Part of the issue is that roaming charges from the cruise ship rarely corresponded with the billing cycle on the cellular account. In the early 2000's we always told customers that airtime could take up to 2 months for all air time to be fully gathered. Credits offered back then were rarely more than a couple hundred $ and only up to 50% through customer service. The saying was essentially, user beware. At some point the policy changed and once roaming charges got to a certain level, all phone service was automatically disabled.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Ahh, but that's what the HSS is used for for LTE. To segregate who gets what and how much, and it also functions as the HRL as found in legacy UMTS/GSM systems. I'm not sure if or how the VRL is integrated somehow on LTE systems, but carriers do put their home subscribers first for network resources vis roamers. And at least in my consistent experience, Mexican carriers I use with my AT&T USA line are severely throttled on Telcel, Movistar and AT&T MX. Once I use their SIM cards, the experience is different..

Because the company is advertising certain benefits their own paying or potential customers they want to ensure that most of the network resources go to them, roamers are just a side hustle for the wireless carriers. Roamers aren't their primary customers, the people who live, play and work in the area are their primary focus, not the people are only going to be in the area for a few days or weeks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by souledge View Post
    When roaming on foreign carrier's network, is there any way to verify whether or not your data traffic has regular priority, or is it deprioritized against the foreign carrier's local subscriber data traffic?

i.e. would Firstnet data have priority over Rogers data in Canada?
    When you are roaming..
    Run a speed test, try streaming video or update apps from the Play/App Store and see how long it takes to download the apps.
    Make the comparison against a prepaid SIM card.

Feedback Score

I believe we don't do QCI management at all here in Canada since there is ample bandwidth to go around.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I remember reading US Cellular gives their customers priority over roamers. So that does happen. I don't know first-hand though. Ironically, Verizon Wireless used to 1x roam on US Cellular (144kbps max speed and really like 80-100kbps), even where 3G was available. By the time they enabled 4G roaming, I was on a newer plan that capped roaming to 128kbps, so my speed went up from like 100kbps to 128kbps . Deprio doesn't slow you down any when your throttle is already that slow though. It was pretty weird going through this finger valley, my service would seamlessly hand off between Verizon Wireless and US Cellular, but speed would instantly flip between like 8-10mbps (low LTE signal but unthrottled) and 128kbps on the dot as service flipped back and forth.

But it doesn't surprise me at all that some carriers have ample bandwidth, don't bother with QCI; some probably do take the view that "Well, roamers are paying the big bucks" and don't QCI for that reason; and some carriers probably have just not bothered to set up QCI (if their own customers plans are for unlimited data, data limit with cash overage, or data limit with hard throttle, then they might not set up their network for deprio since they aren't using it.)

Edit: Oh and to answer the original question. Can you determine your QCI? Network Signal Guru is supposed to be able to do this, but it requires a rooted phone. It does some direct communication with the Qualcomm chip to pull up all sorts of technical info including QCI. I had it on my Droid 2 Global, I'd love to have it on my current phone but the security is too good, no root for Blackberry KeyOne (... apparently depending on attempted rooting method, it either doesn't install anything; or after a short time some security system detects the extra files and deletes them; or it detects tampering and boot loops until original firmware is flashed onto it.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Looks like I don't have to worry much with my work line ... not sure what the cap is.
    Corp "Domestic Data(Tethering enabled) plan:
    Unlimited minutes, Data, *Tethering, and roaming in US, Canada and Mexico. Long distance to Mexico and Canada from US, and Messaging to Intl numbers from US.

*Unlimited plans/hotspot are subject to fair usage, and throttle speeds and are not intended as primary laptop connectivity.

From premier.wireless.att-mail.com:
    Apple iPhone 12 - 2year commitment: $0.99
    Data plan:
    - Mobile Select Unlimited for 5G+/5G iPhone w/VVM, Tethering and Mobile Hotspot
    - AT&T Basic feature
    - AT&T Mobile Security and Call Protect Basic
    - Custom International Day Pass for Business
    - Custom International Voice Roaming for XXXXXX
    - Global Messaging 50
    - World Connect Value
    Monthly charges $47.50

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    I remember reading US Cellular gives their customers priority over roamers. So that does happen. I don't know first-hand though. Ironically, Verizon Wireless used to 1x roam on US Cellular (144kbps max speed and really like 80-100kbps), even where 3G was available. By the time they enabled 4G roaming, I was on a newer plan that capped roaming to 128kbps, so my speed went up from like 100kbps to 128kbps . Deprio doesn't slow you down any when your throttle is already that slow though. It was pretty weird going through this finger valley, my service would seamlessly hand off between Verizon Wireless and US Cellular, but speed would instantly flip between like 8-10mbps (low LTE signal but unthrottled) and 128kbps on the dot as service flipped back and forth.

But it doesn't surprise me at all that some carriers have ample bandwidth, don't bother with QCI; some probably do take the view that "Well, roamers are paying the big bucks" and don't QCI for that reason; and some carriers probably have just not bothered to set up QCI (if their own customers plans are for unlimited data, data limit with cash overage, or data limit with hard throttle, then they might not set up their network for deprio since they aren't using it.)

Edit: Oh and to answer the original question. Can you determine your QCI? Network Signal Guru is supposed to be able to do this, but it requires a rooted phone. It does some direct communication with the Qualcomm chip to pull up all sorts of technical info including QCI. I had it on my Droid 2 Global, I'd love to have it on my current phone but the security is too good, no root for Blackberry KeyOne (... apparently depending on attempted rooting method, it either doesn't install anything; or after a short time some security system detects the extra files and deletes them; or it detects tampering and boot loops until original firmware is flashed onto it.)
    If Canada doesn't do QCI management, then will Network Signal Guru tell me anything?

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by souledge View Post
    If Canada doesn't do QCI management, then will Network Signal Guru tell me anything?
    not really, other than maybe what QCI level you regster at... but you'll need other devices to compare what they get.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast