Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: US Mobile vs Visible

Feedback Score

US Mobile vs Visible

Iím currently on a 15 day trial with Visible and so far Iím not very impressed, even for $25/month.

My previous provider was Spectrum and I really liked them and got excellent speed, but I recently changed internet/cable to a different provider and IIRC my mobile bill will go up by $20 since I no longer have Spectrum internet.

Due to that I decided to look around and try Visible. Since Iím not completely satisfied with Visible Iím looking at alternatives. Someone mentioned US Mobile so I checked them out.

I donít use much Mobile internet but I want it to work every time when I do use it. US Mobile has a 18 GB plan (which will be about 17 GB more than Iíll need most months) for $30/month and will give me what I need when I go on trips and really use mobile data.

Iíve used Verizon prepaid before too around 3 years ago and was really happy with them too.

Iíd like to know if I should expect US Mobile to be any better than Visible, or if all the prepaids (besides my Spectrum) are all going to perform similarly.

Feedback Score
    Sorry I can't add to the solution. But I'm interested in the responses.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.18.22

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus PAYG & T-Mobile Legacy PAYGO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by c_l_phillips72 View Post
    US Mobile has a 18 GB plan (which will be about 17 GB more than I’ll need most months) for $30/month and will give me what I need when I go on trips and really use mobile data.
    Why would you buy an 18 GB plan when "most months" you only need 1 GB or 2 GB?

The beauty of prepaid is that you can upgrade / downgrade as needed.

Feedback Score
    You can get UT&T&2GB for as little as $10/mo.

Device(s)
    LG G Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What seems to be the issue in your mind with Visable? US Mobile uses either Verizon or T-Mobile, so it depends on which carrier your phone supports. Customer Service is excellent at US Mobile, and you can adjust the amount of data you need each month. International data is supported if you have a phone with a eSIM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by c_l_phillips72 View Post
    ...I want it to work every time when I do use it....
    This does not in any way describe Visible. The only thing consistent about Visible data is its inconsistency.

Yes, Visible does use the same cells as all other Verizon services. Visible data is deprioritized the same as anything other than postpaid, but that is where the similarity ends. Everything with Visible is shunted off to a few gateways around the country rather than the regular Vz network. That results in higher latency and inconsistent data speed.

Visible data speed works good to ok for me most of the time. The rest of the time the speed can be so low as to be unusable. This happens many times a day in the same exact location and can be good one minute and very bad the next. In particular, the upload speed drops to nothing measurable. You don't need much upload speed for most things, but you do need some.

It's good enough for me for $25 a month to have unlimited everything available, but I don't have the requirement that it has to work every time I go to use it.

I have had no problem with calls and texts, but I do so few of those that my anecdotal experience is not statistically significant.

Their customer support can be abysmal, but I have never needed to contact them once the service was running.

I would not even consider Visible if my job/income depended on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmart View Post

Iím a set it and forget it person. I donít want to be changing my plan every month or so to save a few bucks. When I go on vacation and summer months I tend to use more data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    You can get UT&T&2GB for as little as $10/mo.
    Yes, but there are months Iíll need at least 18GB, and I donít want to constantly be switching plans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
    What seems to be the issue in your mind with Visable? US Mobile uses either Verizon or T-Mobile, so it depends on which carrier your phone supports. Customer Service is excellent at US Mobile, and you can adjust the amount of data you need each month. International data is supported if you have a phone with a eSIM
    There have been many times when my Speedtest speed was at or under 2 mbps, and thereís been several times already when the Speedtest and Weather apps couldnít obtain data.

My device is an Apple XS Max. I would assume Iím using Verizon towers because theyíre much more widely used in my area, and my current provider (Spectrum) also uses Verizon. Thereís a HUGE difference in speed between them though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

The rest of the time the speed can be so low as to be unusable. This happens many times a day in the same exact location and can be good one minute and very bad the next.
    Thatís been my experience as well. Many times 2gbps at the exact same spot, and occasionally up to 20, but the majority has been 2 and thatís with 3-4 bars on my iPhone. Sometimes I canít even get a connection to do the speed test.

If I have service the majority of the time in the same location, it needs to work in that location every time. I didnít mean that it needs to work everywhere, but Iíd expect to have service every time in the areas where Verizon provides coverage.

Iíve tried Verizon prepaid a few years ago for a few months and really liked it, then switched to Spectrum once it became available in my area. I just changed my home internet provider from Spectrum to Fiber internet via Allo and IIRC my mobile bill will go up $20/month since I no longer have Spectrum home internet. Thatís why Iím looking at alternatives.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    If Verizon prepaid worked for you, this should be similar to that. Keep in mind that Verizon service is some areas has gotten more saturated in the past couple of years. But youíll have the same theoretical priority as all other Verizon MVNOs including their own prepaid.

Visible is a unique animal and is their experiment with low cost budget service and routing traffic through different servers. So visible is not the same experience.

US Mobile already started to provide postpaid priority data for 5G devices and says itís coming very soon to LTE devices. That is a potential game changer for them as it would make them the MVNO of choice for many of us phone geeks.

As a disclaimer, my Verizon postpaid service has been a little more hit and miss this past year or so. Ao your prepaid experience from a couple of years ago may not be the same today. And donít get me started on 5G UWB which is virtually non-existent in most places. The whole UWB is totally premature marketing fluff in my experience since it rarely shows up anywhere near my office in mid-town Manhattan (near Times Square) and the regular 5G doesnít provide any significant bump in bandwidth over LTE.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    If Verizon prepaid worked for you, this should be similar to that. Keep in mind that Verizon service is some areas has gotten more saturated in the past couple of years. But youíll have the same theoretical priority as all other Verizon MVNOs including their own prepaid.

Visible is a unique animal and is their experiment with low cost budget service and routing traffic through different servers. So visible is not the same experience.

US Mobile already started to provide postpaid priority data for 5G devices and says itís coming very soon to LTE devices. That is a potential game changer for them as it would make them the MVNO of choice for many of us phone geeks.

As a disclaimer, my Verizon postpaid service has been a little more hit and miss this past year or so. Ao your prepaid experience from a couple of years ago may not be the same today. And donít get me started on 5G UWB which is virtually non-existent in most places. The whole UWB is totally premature marketing fluff in my experience since it rarely shows up anywhere near my office in mid-town Manhattan (near Times Square) and the regular 5G doesnít provide any significant bump in bandwidth over LTE.
    I agree on the points you made. Visible is fine for a lot of people at the really low price point, but Iím willing to pay more for better service.

I have never seen 5G UWB on Verizon. Like you said, even 5G is pretty much LTE speed. T-Mobileís 5G UC however, IS significantly faster. I get 400Mbps down during the day (700Mbps at night) and there have most definitely been some growing pains but 5G is quick. AT&Tís 5G is decent too. Iím in a highly desirable area in the middle of the largest city but only see LTE on Verizon until Iím in a few random areas where 5G pops up. The other carriers launched 5G years ago and I get it everywhere I go.

Iím thinking about trying US Mobile out of curiosity. Iíve had unlimited data on my postpaid lines for 15 years now but always keep a spare line on an MVNO for times I donít want to share my personal # or while traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 13 Pro eSIM; Galaxy S21 5G
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 13 Pro dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone 13 mini [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Device(s)
    Moto e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon /
    Feedback Score
    Does US Mobile (Verizon) roam domestically for voice/text?

For data?

Right now I have Visible (Verizon towers only) but there's a large dead area in my state where US Cellular operates & where I'd like to get at least voice/text service (if not data) with another Verizon MVNO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmart View Post

I just left Visible after having problems transferring my e-Sim to a new phone where I went to US Mobile and I'm on the Version plan on the $30 for 30 GB, plus 7 dollars tax, I use mostly WiFi here and in arenas and restaurants. So far its projection to be only 18 GB this month from one of my usage apps. Also I like the fact that you can actually call someone at 6am at US Mobile to get help, unlike Visible where its hit or miss, even on Facebook, it took a hour and half to port my number. Going with a service without phone help is sort of like swimming in the ocean without a Lifeguard.

Carrier(s)
    US Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Visible uses Verizon's transmitters, but it routes all of its traffic through a separate set of cloud-based servers that process and route calls and data. Verizon uses dedicated, purpose-built hardware for its subscribers. As a result, Visible is not merely deprioritized, though it is that as well, but it is actually using different systems to process calls and data. When I tried using Visible, I noticed a substantial amount of voice latency, and dumped it after a few weeks. I've seen lots of posts complaining about Visible's inconsistency, which makes sense since it depends upon cloud servers rather than Verizon's time-tested purpose built hardware.

U.S. Mobile is a Verizon MVNO. It uses Verizon's transmitters and Verizon's dedicated backbone. The priority is probably lower, but at least you're not off on some cloud-based software processing your calls.

When it comes to customer service, Visible is one of the worst. It's almost impossible to reach a human by phone, and even when you can, you mostly get platitudes ("Oh, that's terrible. I'm so sorry. Don't worry, I'll get this fixed for you. How are you doing today?"), and not real help or resolutions. And that's even true when you escalate.

U.S. Mobile's customer service is based in Pakistan, but for the most part, they appear to be college graduates, have a good command of English, and seem to be able to get problems resolved. I've yet to need to escalate an issue with U.S. Mobile.
    Make HowardForums a better place:
    Don't respond to users who post insults and personal attacks.
    Instead, block them:
    (click on their username, click "view profile", and click "add to ignore list")

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast