Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't receive calls

Feedback Score

Can't receive calls

For the last few weeks, my phone on Ting usually doesn't ring. Usually the caller gets immediately transferred to voice mail. My phone is a Moto E6. Everything else works. If I make a call, then I can receive calls for the next 20 or 30 minutes.

Any ideas of what is wrong? I have a spare Moto E6. Could I swap phones just by moving the SIM to the spare? That would tell me if the problem is in the phone.

Thanks
    Steve

Feedback Score
    The phone that doesn't ring, just rang. Rang twice and stopped before I could answer. My phone shows two missed phone numbers. I've gotten them before. I guess they are scammers.

Name:  mysterious_phone_numbers.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  32.9 KB

Feedback Score
    I looked up the 866 number. It is a robo caller. The 855 number is legit. Very interesting. The robo caller can ring my phone twice. Nobody else can make it ring at all.

Feedback Score
    Do you have VoLTE enabled?

I'm pretty sure you don't.

It's the same for me in Mint Mobile (TMobile network) without VoLTE.

When you make a call your phone switches to 3G network (if it's available) and for some time after that incoming calls are working. But if 3G networks is not available or your phone stays too long in LTE, incoming calls go to voicemail.

Feedback Score
    I think you are on to something. I know Boost Mobile lost 3G March 31. That's about the time I started having this problem. I don't know what to do about it though.

Here is the phone info.

Name:  Screenshot_20220427-095555.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  40.2 KB

Feedback Score
    Ting is using TMobile network, and 3G is still working at least till end of June 2022. Though coverage is not great, because it's only one band 1800MHz and T-Mobile doesn't invest in it anymore.

But according to your screenshot you have VoLTE provisioned. Do some testing. Make sure you're on LTE and make a call. If connection drops to 3G and back to LTE after you end call you don't have VoLTE working.

If you don't have VoLTE working and you won't be able to turn it on you'll probably have to change phone. You can still use 3G but it's not reliable (coverage) and will stop working at all sometime in the future.

Feedback Score
    I made some calls. The phone shows LTE all the time. Well it normally shows the WiFi signal instead, but I disconnected WiFi for this test.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, I have heard about problems with Moto E6.

You could try doing a network reset (which is in the regular settings). (You will have to put your wi-fi password back in.)

You could install the app Network Signal Info and see if there is a clue there. Particularly when you make a call. The indicators should stay on LTE.

Feedback Score
    You could try removing the sim and then reinstalling it so the info will reload.

Feedback Score
    I will try the SIM removal thing.

I have a spare Moto E6. Could I switch phones just by putting the SIM from this phone into the spare? The spare does not have VoLTE provisioned. I guess only the carrier can change that.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MiFi_online View Post
    I think you are on to something. I know Boost Mobile lost 3G March 31. That's about the time I started having this problem. I don't know what to do about it though.

Here is the phone info.

Name:  Screenshot_20220427-095555.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  40.2 KB

Maybe the ring on Ting is related to the ping. Sorry, couldn't resist the urge.......the opportunity was too overwhelming. I do wish you luck resolving the problem
    Just another day in paradise.....

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    Try without Wi-Fi calling turned on for a bit. It may be something with that if you have volte enabled. I see your signal isn’t great, but that should be enough to get calls.

If it works when Wi-Fi calling is disabled, I t could be something with that setup, either on your router or the device. Before we dive into that arena, let’s first see if turning off Wi-Fi calling resolves this issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nnd_newbie View Post
    Ting is using TMobile network, and 3G is still working at least till end of June 2022. Though coverage is not great, because it's only one band 1800MHz and T-Mobile doesn't invest in it anymore.
    T-Mobile still has 3G on 1700 MHz (Band 4) and 1900 MHz (Band 2) and not on 1800 MHz
    T-Mobile still has 2G on Band 2 (1900 MHz) and currently does not plan to shutdown it (no sunset date announced)

But according to your screenshot you have VoLTE provisioned. Do some testing. Make sure you're on LTE and make a call. If connection drops to 3G and back to LTE after you end call you don't have VoLTE working.
    This is correct. Despite VoLTE flag is ON, VoLTE may not work. Connection drop to 3G is correct test.

If you don't have VoLTE working and you won't be able to turn it on you'll probably have to change phone. You can still use 3G but it's not reliable (coverage) and will stop working at all sometime in the future.
    The phone should be switched to 2G (not 3G). At least voice calls will work after June 30 2022. But it is pretty bad workaround for many reasons. The real solution is to buy new phone.

Feedback Score
    I will try the SIM removal thing.

I have a spare Moto E6. Could I switch phones just by putting the SIM from this phone into the spare? The spare does not have VoLTE provisioned. I guess only the carrier can change that.
    99% that your Moto E6 does not support VoLTE unless it is T-Mobile version of Moto E6 (and not, for example, unlocked AT&T version).

I know this because I had exactly same symptoms with unlocked AT&T and Verizon versions of Moto E4 and E5 with T-Mobile SIM. Currently I use these phones only for data because voice is unreliable and, actually, cannot be used on these phones.

There was no "generic" unlocked US version of Moto E6 as far as I remember.

In this case just buy new phone. Everything else would be very bad workaround.

Feedback Score
    I think you are on to something. I know Boost Mobile lost 3G March 31
    This is unrelated. Boost Mobile used CDMA for 3G, not 3G GSM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast