Thread: Verizon LTE vs 5G Home Internet

Feedback Score

Verizon LTE vs 5G Home Internet

I purchased an LTE Home Internet gateway (the white, cube shaped one) and have successfully traveled with the device. No geofencing has interfered with that. But I have a question about the initial service for which we signed up:

Whether Verizon.com displayed “LTE Home” or “5G Home” … does that lock your router into being LTE only even if you WERE to travel to an area in the presence of C band or mmWave if you technically signed up for LTE Home because technically your address wasn’t turned up for 5G home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VoIP2TDM View Post
    I purchased an LTE Home Internet gateway (the white, cube shaped one) and have successfully traveled with the device. No geofencing has interfered with that. But I have a question about the initial service for which we signed up:

Whether Verizon.com displayed “LTE Home” or “5G Home” … does that lock your router into being LTE only even if you WERE to travel to an area in the presence of C band or mmWave if you technically signed up for LTE Home because technically your address wasn’t turned up for 5G home?

If the gateway only has a LTE radio it wouldn’t be physically possible for it to connect to 5G, just like a non 5G phone can’t connect to 5G

Main Phone: iPhone 13 Pro
    Android device : OnePlus 8T

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    If the gateway only has a LTE radio it wouldn’t be physically possible for it to connect to 5G, just like a non 5G phone can’t connect to 5G

I reached out to Verizon via chat and they were able to confirm it was the same device used for 5G Home. It has the radios. But I’m on the fringes of C band and there is no reliable way for me to tell if I’m getting strong LTE or really bad C band (currently testing 55 Mbps down).

I don’t have any places in town I can go farther into C band coverage and just plug up the router and retest (short of carrying my cube into a Starbucks) and it’s got no display to confirm otherwise. Curious if it’s somewhere in the admin menus or we are able to tell some other way.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post

They give out the same Askey router for LTE home vs 5G Home (C-Band based).. if you get mmWave 5G Home, that gets a different window mounted 5G modem..

I reached out to Verizon via chat and they were able to confirm it was the same device used for 5G Home. It has the radios. But I’m on the fringes of C band and there is no reliable way for me to tell if I’m getting strong LTE or really bad C band (currently testing 55 Mbps down).

I don’t have any places in town I can go farther into C band coverage and just plug up the router and retest (short of carrying my cube into a Starbucks) and it’s got no display to confirm otherwise. Curious if it’s somewhere in the admin menus or we are able to tell some other way.

I had the "LTE Home" until C-Band launched here and it was set to 55/5, even after C-Band launched.. I had them swap it to the C-Band plan (they even swapped the modem for the same model Askey cube) and it gets 320/20 pretty regularly on C-Band and 70/5 on LTE.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    They give out the same Askey router for LTE home vs 5G Home (C-Band based).. if you get mmWave 5G Home, that gets a different window mounted 5G modem..

I had the "LTE Home" until C-Band launched here and it was set to 55/5, even after C-Band launched.. I had them swap it to the C-Band plan (they even swapped the modem for the same model Askey cube) and it gets 320/20 pretty regularly on C-Band and 70/5 on LTE.
    This is incredibly specific and helpful information… EXACTLY what I needed. Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you log in your router settings, under the section Network Status, there is a section called Cellular that lists what you are on, either LTE (4G) or 5G also. I don't know if it is possible to get 5g on the LTE Home plan without switching to the 5G Home plan. I don't have any 5g in the area to try it out.

Feedback Score
    I purchased an LTE Home Internet gateway (the white, cube shaped one) and have successfully traveled with the device. No geofencing has interfered with that.

This is why we can't have nice things. There is REASON why they limit Home Internet to certain areas and a certain amount of customers within an area. Then people want to complain why the network sucks in these same areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    This is why we can't have nice things. There is REASON why they limit Home Internet to certain areas and a certain amount of customers within an area. Then people want to complain why the network sucks in these same areas.
    Verizon could geofence it if they really cared that much

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Guarantee there are people on mobile phone hotspots that do much worse than I could ever inflict on the network.

Feedback Score
    Okay got my 5G unit. 299 Mbps down, about 14 up.

Feedback Score
    Guarantee there are people on mobile phone hotspots that do much worse than I could ever inflict on the network.

That’s me lol jk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmama2078 View Post
    That’s me lol jk

Lmaoooooo