Thread: pager service still available in United States?

Feedback Score

pager service still available in United States?

Evening,

Just curious I wanted to know is there any pager providers in the United States (N.C or Virginia) that still provide pager services? I know they are outdated and hard to find now but I just wanted to know.

BTW I posted this in "Lounge" board because I wasn't sure where it would fit in. If this wasn't the right place please let me know where I may be allowed to post this in.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think that paging, in the traditional manner has gone the way of Beta and VHS tapes. Virtually any phone can send/receive text messages (even non-smartphones) with predictive text or simply pressing the keys corresponding with each letter on the screen/keypad. I suspect they are few and far in between.

Just for giggles, I just did a random Google search and found more than a couple of companies advertising pager service but no companies that I recognized.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Yes. The names have changed.

Skytel became American Messaging
    USA Mobility became spok

The coverage hasn’t kept up with general urban/suburban expansion. Seems to be pretty much on life support.

I miss using a pager for work when compared to a cell phone. First, work unambiguously paid for it. Second, I just had to replace the battery monthly. It was a much simpler device. No software upgrades, etc.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Yes. The names have changed.

Skytel became American Messaging
    USA Mobility became spok

The coverage hasn’t kept up with general urban/suburban expansion. Seems to be pretty much on life support.

I miss using a pager for work when compared to a cell phone. First, work unambiguously paid for it. Second, I just had to replace the battery monthly. It was a much simpler device. No software upgrades, etc.
    Pagers and Paging Services were an interesting idea a great many years ago, but I do not feel the lack of anything to not have the use any longer of a pager. Look at a user's experience. Somebody pages you. Then you need to find a telephone to call the number which the pager shows you. You go to a landline when you have the opportunity; or you pull out your mobile phone, and make the return call to ask what the caller wants. Current day, even a basic cellular telephone with ability to accept a text message is better than the old time pager. Caller could give a brief message so you know something more about the call than just, 'person from a shown number paged me'.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

My use of pagers was being oncall with text paging giving me details of the alert. I hardly ever really had people paging me directly.

Yeah, a cell phone will do it, but a lot of employers refuse to pay for one, and even if they do, it means carrying two cell phones.

Yeah, the paging industry died for a reason. I think it’s mostly medical applications now.