Thread: FreeUP: mobile 4g data even on free Talk/Text plan?

Feedback Score

FreeUP: mobile 4g data even on free Talk/Text plan?

It has been mentioned a few times before in this forum that some people were able to get limited data on the FreeUP free 250/250 plan even though there is not supposed to be any data included, and no way to buy it on that plan.

The speculation has been that some people had leftover balances from the Rewards program that they used to have, and data was charged to that balance. Other people have said they never had a money balance and still had data on the "no data" free plan.

Well, I was in the former group. I had limited cellular data (at a very slow speed), and I did at one time have something like $4-6 in the rewards account. I don't know if that come into play, or some have suggested that there is an undisclosed amount of courtesy data placed on the account for things like MMS messages or email.

Today, after using the 4gLTE data in the browser, I got a pop-up on the phone that implies I ran out of internet credit and the phone shows a question mark next to the network name.

Does anyone have any comments on this scenario? Is there data on the free accounts typically? If I used it up, is it gone forever, and can I still use the phone for calls and texts regardless? Does anyone else have data capability with or without a legacy balance?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    Is there data on the free accounts typically? If I used it up, is it gone forever, and can I still use the phone for calls and texts regardless? Does anyone else have data capability with or without a legacy balance?
    I have the FreeUp free plan. I had a small balance from clipping coupons I guess I have a legacy balance. (I don't see any balance when I log into my account though).

I have never gotten any free data. I don't know if that's because my coupon-legacy-balance went poof, or if I still have a balance but it can't be used.

I don't mind if the balance is gone. I'm just happy FreeUp is still grandfathering the free plan.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone!)
    You can sign up for Red Pocket and get $25 off your monthly-plan order using my referral code. Feel free to PM me for the codes. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    I have the FreeUp free plan. I had a small balance from clipping coupons I guess I have a legacy balance. (I don't see any balance when I log into my account though).

I have never gotten any free data. I don't know if that's because my coupon-legacy-balance went poof, or if I still have a balance but it can't be used.

I don't mind if the balance is gone. I'm just happy FreeUp is still grandfathering the free plan.
    So, with the new VoLTE system, do you have mobile data switched "off" on your phone, even as the APN settings are set for the network itself? Do you have any error or alert indicators on the top of your phone? (i.e. no data, no internet, etc.)

Are you ONLY able to make phone calls and regular text messages (only alphanumeric characters and emoji, no pictures or attachments)?
    Previously I believe I could send pictures in a text message, but now I definitely cannot.

BTW: PM sent to you

Feedback Score
    I tried several things I'd seen posted around the internet to try to get some kind of data to work on my FreeUp free plan after the official end of free data being included, but without success.

I'm also happy that the FreeUp free talk and text still works, and although I only use it for test calls, it might be nice to have if some need arises at some point...

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^You can never have enough spare test numbers.

Device(s)
    s22u, Pix6P, i13PM, iw7, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Tmo, Visible, Google Fi, RP/att/vzw/tmo, Tello, Tru
    Feedback Score
    I still have a balance of $42 on FreeUp from when it was pretty easy to earn watching ads and such.

Data does deduct from that balance, so any small balance would have explained why data worked for a short time and then stopped. MMS needs data so if your balance is zero then no MMS.
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    I still have a balance of $42 on FreeUp from when it was pretty easy to earn watching ads and such.

Data does deduct from that balance, so any small balance would have explained why data worked for a short time and then stopped. MMS needs data so if your balance is zero then no MMS.
    Thanks, this was helpful. I probably screwed myself on the MMS by running down the balance. No way for me to know at the time, but now it's too late to recover. And I had no choice, as my home internet decided to take a dump and I had no service.

Do you know of a way to see your balance? The old website format had a place for that IIRC. The new one does not. How do you know it was $42, or do you know how much it has reduced?

Device(s)
    s22u, Pix6P, i13PM, iw7, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Tmo, Visible, Google Fi, RP/att/vzw/tmo, Tello, Tru
    Feedback Score
    On the website, along the left side of the page, select "Pay & refill your account" and it shows your account balance.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto G6, Moto E5 Play, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp,Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I've had the free plan for several years with no data, just talk & text.
    Looking at my online account, there is a deceptive option to purchase 1gb of data, but if I select it, it tells me that my plan is not compatible with that add-on.