Thread: Is Google Fi service now cheaper than TM?

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score

Is Google Fi service now cheaper than TM?

https://fi.google.com/about/plans/?u...der_leads_gaia

They use TM's system. There doesn't seem to be any place on HoFo to discuss Google Fi.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Is Google Fi service now cheaper than TM?

I would say its discussion would probably fit best in the general Prepaid forum area, even though it is technically a postpaid billing setup. (ADDENDUM: there is a specific forum, listed as its previous name Project Fi, in the Prepaid/MVNO area)

To consider it cost effective, it depends a lot on one's usage needs and number of lines.

The cheapest route, Flexible, is most worth it if one uses less than a couple gig per month across the entire account, and travel on occasion to need high speed data while abroad. It is pay per line and the pay per GB of data ($10/GB) can become cost restrictive once the account goes past 5GB or so (it has bill protection, but the protection starts after $80 or so for data alone).

The cheaper Simply Unlimited option, IMHO, isn’t priced well for what it offers. It offers no coverage outside of North America, low threshold of priority data, and has limited hotspot. Most other T-Mobile MVNOs, including Metro, have a cheaper or similar priced plan with as many features. The only benefit it has is unlimited Mexico and Canada usage.

The most expensive option, Totally Unlimited, is probably the best option available anywhere if one plans to be traveling a lot. It offers unlimited high speed data to nearly 200 countries, which I don’t think T-Mobile offers similar on any current plan (Sprint used to).

Unless you use a “Designed for Fi” device, US Cellular coverage may be problematic. US Cellular still has a lot of rural coverage that doesn’t do VoLTE well, so having a Designed device should still be able to access their CDMA coverage. Otherwise, it falls back to T-Mobile and rarely other carriers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    https://fi.google.com/about/plans/?u...der_leads_gaia

They use TM's system. There doesn't seem to be any place on HoFo to discuss Google Fi.
    They use T-Mobile but they don't include all the roaming that T-Mobile offers (though they offer more than most other MVNOs). For example, most T-Mobile MVNOs have no off-T-Mobile coverage at all, i.e. no coverage in Alaska, but Google Fi does have coverage in Alaska.

Google Fi does appear to be less expensive since they recently reduced prices, especially if you're getting four lines of service. Personally I can't use T-Mobile because the coverage issues in my area would result in to many areas with no coverage.

Feedback Score
    I'm just answering no.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.18.22

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    It did not occur to me to look in the MVNO section for Google Fi. Anyway, the last post there was seven months ago!
    We have made use of TM's "free" international roaming for years.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I often check the Google Fi forum. Let's see more activity. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I compare from time to time. Last I checked, a week or two ago, Fi was much more expensive for data compared to what I have, and throttled, which I don't have at all.